Favorite Ebook Reader: Haali Reader

rmm2131

I use this little known, robust ebook reader on my pda and PC and it's fantastic. Saves your spot when you close it, opens many formats, dictionary, word find, rotation, background and font flexibility, even ZIP support.
Anyone else use it? :)

Source is available too:
http://haali.cs.msu.ru/pocketpc/

Many formats?

It claims on the site to do TXT and XML only; the website notes no lit (fine who cares) and no html (which is surprising, since its easy and pretty useful.)

Notably to me the site doesn't say anything about RTF.

An ebook reader (to me, your mileage may vary :) needs rtf, txt and html (and other formats ar enice to have.) PDF might be nice, to stream the text out of them.

An ebook reader needs good font support (smoothed fonts), and night/day options.

I am tempted to write one, but I'm sure there are dozens out there; some good ones for PoPC and Palm and even iphone exist, many with source.

ie: RTF reading is not difficult and some libs and source exist, so its criminal for an app not to support them :)

jeff

edit: Your avatar artwork rules my world :)

Eer uh hmmm ahh, by many formats I meant txt, TXT, and text. I thought it handled more, but you're right it has lousy format support Jeff although, for short and very large text files(no crashing with 10mb), it is very fast. I like that it's free too. :)

Looking forward to some reading on the :pandora1: when an ebook program does exist for it.

Does fbreader remember the last open page of every single book you've ever opened regardless of run? It says it remembers the last book page you've opened for the last ebooks you've opened a certain run of the program, but does it do what I described? That's one of the features that I enjoy with Haali Reader; it remembers every single last book position.

Yes, it remembers your pages, on all opened books. There are versions for windows and linux, so give it a try on your PC, if you're curious. It's a very good reader, IMO. It's the app I use the most on my N800.

I currently use a Palm Tungsten T2 to read and keep my schedule throughout the day. For reading on it, I like Wordsmith, which will save your place, but also allow you to edit errors in the text. It supports different fonts, and combined with Font Smoother, the text quality is amazing. Btw, Wordsmith is at www.bluenomad.com.

For a really small reader, I like TiBR, or Tiny Book Reader, found at www.tibr.com. It is fast, supports different font sizes, and is under 100K.

I haven't really found an ebook reader for the GP2X that keeps my attention. I'm hoping with the calendaring functionality and the nice screen on the wiz, I can retire my Palm. It all depends on the functionality of the calendar. I have yet to comprehend how it can alert you to appointments if it's turned off.

I've used quite a few different Palm and WM ebook programs, and none come close to FBreader on my n800. I hope this gets ported quickly.

Back