[Feature Request] Tweaking The Opening Mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

loup-vaillant

Still Fresh
Having saw this video of the Pandora, I noticed the case "clicks" when it's fully open (forming a 180° angle with the case). The Nintendo DS "clicks" twice, once at about 160°, once more at 180°. When I play with a DS, I never fully open the case. Having it slightly bent makes viewing the upper screen more comfortable. Plus, when I shake it out of frustration or excitement (typical for games), the angle is kept. Without the second "click", my DS would have been fully open and I would have to bend it again. This gets more and more likely as the DS gets older and the mechanism wears out. So:

1. Is the second "click" feasible (technically, legally, and financially)?
  2. Is it even desirable? I think so, but if anyone disagree…

borgqueenx said:
i have to agree with you. if its not to much hassle to tweak this, it should be.
The ds's lock position is perfect, i exptected it first to be on pandora as well.

yeah, the ds is a hassle to play 180 deg.

really strains the wrists.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not 180 degrees. According to MWeston, it locks between the two lock points of the DS. Pushing it back the full 180 degrees causes it to simply "bounce" back to the lock point.
And no, with production more or less started, I'm basically absolutely certain that any suggestions to change any of the hardware will be met with sarcasm.

Aye sure, let's do a redesign of a part that, afaik, has been bought as-is. That and wait even longer. No fucking way.

I think it's one of those things that's too late to tweak, unless you want to wait another 3 months changing the inside area of the case where the hinge mechanism fits. Presuming the hinge mechanism is a different fit for the 2 snaps.

I don't see how the second lock on the DS is necessary. The first lock seems to rest an an angle where when using the top screen, glare is reduced on the bottom and you can see both of them at the same distance from the eye. The Pandora seems to rest between the two lock positions compared to the DS. Staring at the controls seems pointless on the Pandora (when gaming), I don't think it will be a big deal.

We're well past the "lets go changing parts around" phase. They already have the hinges, so that's what you're getting.

About the "too late", part, I agree, of course, at least for the first batch. However, if this is just a matter of slightly tweaking one of the moulds, maybe… I don't know, really.

About the chose angle for the "click", I just paid a bit more attention to the video. The current angle is probably fine, which makes my request irrelevant. I'm happy with that.

I'd like to see a hinge teardown, to see how big the 'click' mechanism is. They could have very well bought it direct with no customization, this has nothing to do with the actual hinge. If another one of them was made with multiple click points, it might be user replaceable like on the DS. But as nobody has their Pandoras, we can't say if it's uncomfortable or not.

Looks like the hinge is tight enough not to fall back while walking and that's all it needs.
Your going to have to hold the screen with one hand while you use the stylus anyway, so I don't see why people would have such a problem with it?

+ I have to agree with what Darien said. The Pandora and DS are used differently, what's good for one isn't necessary good for the other.

i can see why there has been scepticisim as these are the first pandoras we've seen on video, that dont look like they've come out of a blender.. (early prototypes) but im happy with the 180 lock. thats how i'll be playing it. when i'm not playing with it. it'll be closed. so doesnt worry me at all.

i'm very worried about the hinge from that video.. it need to 'lock' at some point inbetween the two observed locking positions... :( this is a pretty big deal and so far they havn't really said anything to address everyone's worries about this which makes it even more worrying. my guess is they might have realised the fuck-up themselves and are just keeping it quiet.

Please no more requests of new features until the first batch of Pandoras is in our hands. I'm getting sick of all these wishes from people who wants some "minor" tweak. Stop being so pedantic and let Mweston decide what should be done or not.

Ähm, is the hinge not steppless? so you can lock the screen in 180 160 ° etc?, the hinge in the ds is steppless to, and the pandora hinge schould bee simular..
:blink:

Perhaps it's possible with some hardware modding(at your own risk)?

matzesu said:
Ähm, is the hinge not steppless? so you can lock the screen in 180 160 ° etc?, the hinge in the ds is steppless to, and the pandora hinge schould bee simular..
:blink:

You didn't watch the video? :blink:

If people are THAT bothered about it, get the hinges from the DS and mod them in. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
im also afraid that the pandora screen lock is a small failure. They dont wanna say its a fail and that it is "unique".
Sorry, but the how i hold the DS is perfect, but when i put it back 20~40o back, its not really confortable to hold anymore.

I totally agree with paradox.

I really hope this can be fixed. because locking in just like the ds is perfect. the way it is now is just more discomfortable. still acceptable, but it can be better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back