Fenix Questions

Website
Visit site
After looking at that last topic, It promped me to use fenix. I must learn it, but just to ask can you find fenix in a book, or on the web only. I have looked at the internet and have learned alot, but I learn from a book even better. However I can use the internet if there is no book to learn from

Thanks, -Alterdimension

ruckage

Certified Guru
Unfortunately you really only have the internet as an option, the only alternative is if you can find a copy of the first version of 'Div games studio' as it's virtually identical to fenix and should come with a manual. Problem is I just checked on ebay and the only copy on there was selling for £25 which is too much as it won't even run on anything after windows 98. If you do decide to buy a copy from somewhere check with the seller that it contains the full manual first.

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
If you want Fenix help, then the Div book/manual really isn;t enough - Fenix has evolved significantly since the early days when it was very much a carbon copy of Div.

If you've tried the official site, then there's also BooleanSoup - A fun friendly site to discuss Fenix difficulties is http://www.booleansoup.com/index.php?p=32

There is a specific section devoted to Fenix.

ruckage

Certified Guru
iprice said:
If you want Fenix help, then the Div book/manual really isn;t enough - Fenix has evolved significantly since the early days when it was very much a carbon copy of Div.

If you've tried the official site, then there's also BooleanSoup - A fun friendly site to discuss Fenix difficulties is http://www.booleansoup.com/index.php?p=32

There is a specific section devoted to Fenix.

It doesn't cover everything but if you are starting out it's a great reference and I have found very little in that manual which isn't relevant to Fenix now. I still use it as a quick reference myself on occasion. It also has some good beginner tutorials. If you can find it cheap get it.

Edit:

Don't forget if you have any specific questions I'm sure all the Fenix users here would be willing to help out.

Last edited by a moderator:

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Oh for the days of Div :D

Fenix is an excellent language and definitely worthy of the time it'll take to learn (a lot less than many other development languages). I ported Xmas Lemmings into Fenix many years ago from my Div version - only took a couple of hours.

TrevorBradley

alterdimension said:
Sandman said:
Do visit the Fenix Wiki: http://fenixdocs.com.

I'm curious. Is fenix just for coding games, or does it have other functions

Being a general programming language, you should be able to do just about anything with it.

That being said, gamepads don't make good general input devices. It's hard to do spreadsheets without a keyboard.

Red Shift

Still Fresh
Trevor Bradley said:
Being a general programming language, you should be able to do just about anything with it.

That being said, gamepads don't make good general input devices. It's hard to do spreadsheets without a keyboard.
But for a general programming language it can be rather buggy and high level aswell. These can make it a bit limiting sometimes, though I do value it as it lets me get something together and going much more quickly than if I write it in C.