Few Questions

GuchaRU

1. How do I check firmware version to know if I need to update it?

2. Most of the games I downloaded just doesn't work... They either start with black screen and then after 1-2 sec pandora just goes back to minimenu or they hang the system completely.

3. I can't play music... I downloaded several players but when I try "open folder" they just don't see sd card... But if I try to opem music file itself then "open with ..." I can't select pnd for that.
Fixed by downloading codecks pack.

4. How do I use standard pc mouse with pandora? I connected it but it doesn't work.

Info: everything is stored in 16 GB SD card in slot 1.

GuchaRU said:
To my knowledge, there is no way to check currently. However, if you recently received a Pandora and haven't updated it yourself, you should download and apply the Hotfix 4 PND from the official site.

2. Most of the games I downloaded just doesn't work... They either start with black screen and then after 1-2 sec pandora just goes back to minimenu or they hang the system completely.
I'm unsure on this one, but it may be that some of them require libraries that are installed with the Community Codec Pack. If you've installed this already, I don't really know what to suggest here. What apps are you having problems with?

3. I can't play music... I downloaded several players but when I try "open folder" they just don't see sd card... But if I try to opem music file itself then "open with ..." I can't select pnd for that.
As above, you'll definitely need the Community Codec Pack for these.

4. How do I use standard pc mouse with pandora? I connected it but it doesn't work.
The Pandora's USB port is USB 2.0 High Speed only, as the SoC doesn't provide the second chip necessary to deal with USB 1.0 and 1.1 devices (connecting a USB 1.0 or 1.1 device to this port crashes the USB host, requiring a restart). To connect USB 1.0 and 1.1 devices, you'll need to use a USB 2.0 High Speed hub.

EDIT: Hah, ninja'd on question 3. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus, thank you for your reply!
1. Okay.
2. Hm, I just installed it, I will check and post the results.
3. Yes, community codecs pack fixed everything.
4. Oh, i see. Just checked with hub - it works perfectly ^_^ nice!

Glad to be of assistance - I hope you get the apps that you had trouble with working. :)

Checked the apps. Still no luck...
here's the games that doesn't work: OpenBor, OpenJazz, The Ur-Qian.
Can it be connected to firmware version if I don't have latest one? I'm downloading it now.

Other games like quake, hexen, giana returns and emulators like picodrive work flawlesly!

For those, it's more likely to be a matter of not having their required data files in the places where they need them to be - it won't be to do with the OS version (note also that the most recent firmware version, Hotfix 5, is a beta, so may still have a few issues). Check their documentation, as it's probably noted there. if I remember rightly, you said in another thread that you switched to Minimenu, so press "Y" whilst their icon is highlighted to view it.

Yea, you need the required pak files and such. My problem with OpenBoR is that it reduces the window size after selecting the game and then doesn't accept any input method afterwards.

To check your version, you can go to the terminal and type uname -a and it will give you the build date, I believe Hotfix 4 was made August 27th. An easy way to tell if you are up to hotfix4 is if you push the right analog nub "down" it will act as a middle click on a mouse.

Also, in newer versions, like the beta hotfixes, they show the revision in the boot-up image.

Prometheus, Phawx, I see, thank you.

1. Also, I only just noticed about nubs, they are acting strange... is there a way to calibrate it? For example left nub when I press left it goes left and down very fast, but when I press right it barely moving. Right nub seems ok. UPD: now it sompletely opposite, it doesn't move down, but goes up like crazy.

2. How can I add "toggle wifi" icon to that bar in lower part of the screen in XFCE gui.

Regarding the nubs, it's my understanding that they are auto-calibrating *all the time*, not just at boot-up. I've seen ED advise moving them slowly and evenly in each direction (up, down, left, right), when that occurs. As you get used to them, you'll probably find that you run into this less (that's certainly been the case for me, anyway :p ).

With point 2 in mind for wifi toggle, check these threads, the 2nd in particular :

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53955-guide-putting-firmware-applications-on-the-desktop/ Firmware apps to desktop

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54248-guide-hotkeys-ftw/ This covers the wifi toggle to desktop or hotkey in detail

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54647-guide-add-custom-launchers-to-the-main-menu/ This will also prove handy in related ways.

edit : to save you time you can also just right click some spare space next to the quick launch icons on the ´panel' in the bottom left and choose ´add new item´ >´launcher´ and it will add a default icon. Right click this and choose `properties´ and paste into the `command´ field the following "/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/usr/pandora/apps//op_wifi.pnd" -e "op_wifi.sh" -b "op_wifi" you can then name it and add an icon of your choice from the same dialog box and it should toggle the wifi for you.

(Its possible it only works for me due to priorly following the 2nd link I posted above but it may save you time).

Prometheus, Oh, I see. This is kinda weird though...

Chaser, oh thank you! that really helped me.

But I still have one more problem: I can't make videos to play... If I open VCL player it just doesn't see SD card, but if I open SD card and open video file itself it plays (with GNOME player) but with black screen for video...
I have installed codecs pack, of course.

And one question: is there a way to make everything bigger? like buttons, font, windows borders, etc. like everything.

Prometheus said:
GuchaRU said:
To my knowledge, there is no way to check currently. However, if you recently received a Pandora and haven't updated it yourself, you should download and apply the Hotfix 4 PND from the official site.

Interesting, as I don't think this would be that hard to implement. Maybe someone should put in a request to ED? I'd do it, but not having my unit yet would make it look kinda strange.

Back