Finally got my precious! :D

NekoAlvien

Still Fresh
OKAY! So after it being shipped out to me literally 12 hours before I left the country it took my Pandora a little while to make its way to me but I finally got it and I have to say I'm really loving it :)

It does have its downsides like everything else though, (small crack in the bottom left corner of the case, screen was FILTHY when I got it although that was easily sorted, nubs a lil loose but they still work great and every now and then I can hear this kinda....speaker feedback noise...its weird but it doesn't happen too much so it doesn't really bother me) the only other con I can think of is the slight learning curve it takes to get the applications to run, I know thats my own fault for my lack of linux experience but I was wondering!

All the pandoras are pretty much identical right? soooo if some nice person who happens to have alot of the PND files and has gotten everything to work "perfectly", couldn't they maybe zip up their appdata folders etc and upload it somewhere and share it with everyone else? maybe with instructions on where to put roms etc? Then everyone could just copy over this basic template of a working system with all the programs tweaked to run the best they can on the pandora onto thier SD cards and then we wouldnt have to faff around for hours trying to get each application to run? or am I being too naive here? :p

Other than that I'm loving the few programs that I've got to run flawlessly (fucking love playing ScummVM on the train to work, playing through broken sword II at the moment :D ) and the fact that I can pretty much type out reports on the thing very easily on the move make it perfect for the work I do :)

So I shall continue on my tweaking adventure to get everything perfect and hopefully make this awesome lil machine even better! :D

I found it somewhat frustrating to begin with as well - especially as you want to *try out everything it can do*. But I'm very glad I had to take it step by step - it gives you *time* to appreciate each new achievement and ability... if everything just worked straight out the box it would be an overload! Too much to take in... and the Pandora would lose a lot of it's charm. By investing yourself in turning it slowly into your dream device you are building a relationship / creating memories / learning / generating a sense of achievement which translates into appreciation / and most importantly... It becomes personal. :)

At least 50% of the joy of owning a Pandora is the setting up process.

How often do you come across a product that gets more and more awesome the longer you own it? ;)

Didn´t he shoot Kennedy? No, that was just a crappy college band that gigged in Devon with Muse members. The biscuit box was an awesome episode though but I highly doubt the OPT team are recycling Pandoras in a similar fashion. Even if they are turning returned boards around, I doubt they aren´t first switching the cases. Sadly you lose the stciker to do this in the process. Though ts not like it was red or anything ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn´t he shoot Kennedy? No, that was just a crappy college band that gigged in Devon with Muse members. The biscuit box was an awesome episode though but I highly doubt the OPT team are recycling Pandoras in a similar fashion. Even if they are turning returned boards around, I doubt they aren´t first switching the cases. Sadly you lose the stciker to do this in the process. Though ts not like it was red or anything ;)

It was my favourite episode when I was little :)

Well, if after waiting nearly 3 years I receive a "filthy" device I will be less than happy I can tell you. I mean, c'mon I can clean up an old gadget and make it look as good as new in some cases, surely these guys can do something similar? Or has complacancy set in; "ah, the suckers have waited for years let's just toss-em anything"?

I'm sorry, I don't want to be negative but I'm pretty annoyed right now - I've been waiting for years and I've been on 3 holiday since ordering (holidays I was hoping to take my new device on). I'm not going to quit now though...so if they are taking the mick, they still get to.

NekoAlvien, did you buy your pandora used from another source such as ebay, sell.com etc etc? Thats what it sounds like to me. If you did actually buy it new from the OPT or one of the 3 approved shops, I would shoot them an email and see if there's anything they can do for you. The pandora is supposed to come with a 12 month manufacturer's warranty. You shouldn't end up getting stuck with a beat up handheld if you paid for a new one.

NekoAlvien, did you buy your pandora used from another source such as ebay, sell.com etc etc? Thats what it sounds like to me. If you did actually buy it new from the OPT or one of the 3 approved shops, I would shoot them an email and see if there's anything they can do for you. The pandora is supposed to come with a 12 month manufacturer's warranty. You shouldn't end up getting stuck with a beat up handheld if you paid for a new one.

I did get it from the official store but the problems with it are purely cosmetic I dont think they would replace it just cause of that :p Everything else works great on it, the buttons are fine, shoulder buttons were a TAD stiff but they are perfect now nubs work great...i guess im just a lil scared of sending it back and getting something that doesnt have a crack and a dirty screen but has actual functionality issues :p I can clean the screen no problem and the crack doesnt bother me really, if it starts to spread then I might send them an e-mail about replacing the case...but other than that its great :)

Back