Firmware 1.2.6

eyekicks.com

Still Fresh
Attention: some users had trouble installing this upgrade. In some cases, it bricked their Wiz, so use at your own risk.
(Edit by Alex, 18-09-2010)

---

Firmware 1.2.6 is available:

http://www.fungp.com/cu/dp_l.asp

1. Performance Improvement
A. Clock Settings
B. SD Card in/out adjustment

2. Function Addition
A. WiFi connection

Does someone already use it?

I already installed it. the 'information' says 1.2.6
i can't see any difference, but I have to admint that the only software on the SD card is my own AIM game, so I can't say too much about the compatibility (AIM works)
since I got my Caanoo, the WIZ is kinda out of duty :D
I can see one difference: theere's a WIFI menu item in the settings menu, although without the EXT->USB adapter I can't try it. when activated, it starts looking for connection
Touch screen and clock must be set up again

Question, what wi-fi addapters are supported, only the ones advertised as being caanoo compatable? Will other wi-fi adapters work?

I still need an ext-usb host adapter...so if i need a specific wi-fi adapter now is the time to find out ^^()

i use my Caanoo with a cheap, Ralink-based stick
all depends on the chipset in the wifi stick, if it's supported by the kernel, it will work, otherwise you have to compile the kernel module yourself
with Ralink chips you have a very good chance that they will work :)

theres also a module that is supposed to work for rtl8188 based wifi sticks. check out the archive.

What about g_ether ("ethernet over USB") module? I still don't have a Wiz with wi-fi... but soon now I will ;)

well since there are not relevant changes, i think i'll stick with the current one. WiFi works for me at my home location, and i dont carry the wiz around anyway :)

Can anybody tell what those "Performance improvements" are ?

I've been having issues with my 16 gig SanDisk card, so I'll try this out and see if "SD card in/out adjustment" fixes anything.

Current issues:

1) Takes really freakin' long to access the first time, making Win2X's Auto-Scan feature freeze up.

2) Windows seems to think I have 80 gigs of content on the 16 gig card. Cool, if it worked that way, but no. As a result, I can't get anything off the card... only put stuff onto it.

Solved issues:

Coming shortly...

So we are back to tearing games? Or did they adjust the screen timing instead? Or was that their fix in the first place? (maybe i should read up hehe)

I noticed this in SQRXZ, always gets me annoyed when playing lol

edit: It's also noticeable in QTopia (Opera)
can I by some way add to autostart pollux_set?

well, i guess you can make a wrapper script for every game... grr... or maybe most games consist of wrapper scripts nowadays anyway, so just add it to the scripts.

u9i said:
So we are back to tearing games? Or did they adjust the screen timing instead? Or was that their fix in the first place? (maybe i should read up hehe)

someone beat me if i'm wrong, i dont think they've removed the screen timing. that wouldn't make any sense. as long as it's not confirmed, i won't believe it :)

what i think is that they've improved the speed of the default gp2x menu by removing 'their' tearing fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
crow_riot said:
u9i said:

someone beat me if i'm wrong, i dont think they've removed the screen timing. that wouldn't make any sense. as long as it's not confirmed, i won't believe it :)

what i think is that they've improved the speed of the default gp2x menu by removing 'their' tearing fix?
Hmm, gp2xmenu doesnt tear at all, but in other apps, which have no tear fix is tearing more 'noticeable'

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I'll give this a try I hope there are some good performance increases. I guess the WIFI addition is because they are releasing their EXT-USB and USB WIFI sticks soon. Maybe the SD input/output adjustment means we can stop transferring files at <1 mbps.

Benchmarks to come:

SNES Emulator - Compatible: (Loaded from state save, left running for 30 seconds to stablize)
Yoshi's Island - 48 FPS

SNES Emulator - Fast: (Loaded from state save, left running for 30 seconds to stablize)
Seiken Densetsu 3 - 38 FPS

PCSX4Wiz - Wiz clock: 800Mhz, RAM Tweaks on, Frameskip 1(Video), Interlacer OFF, Sound ON (XA+CD Audio), CPU Clock 100%, CPU Bias 7, HLE Secure, NTSC
Legend of Dragoon (Menu Screen) - 20/30 FPS

Copying 1, 350 MB file from computer to Wiz (SD card) over USB - 1.02 Mb/s

SNES Emulator - Compatible: (Loaded from state save, left running for 30 seconds to stablize)
Yoshi's Island - 49 FPS

SNES Emulator - Fast: (Loaded from state save, left running for 30 seconds to stablize)
Seiken Densetsu 3 - 45 FPS

PCSX4Wiz - Wiz clock: 800Mhz, RAM Tweaks on, Frameskip 1(Video), Interlacer OFF, Sound ON (XA+CD Audio), CPU Clock 100%, CPU Bias 7, HLE Secure, NTSC
Legend of Dragoon (Menu Screen) - 21/30 FPS

Copying 1, 350 MB file from computer to Wiz (SD card) over USB - 1.06 Mb/s
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No problems with SD access, Auto Scan in Win2X seems to take a little bit longer but other then that no problems. No change with screen tearing.

I see no real change for Yoshi's Island or Legend of Dragon, looks like a 7 fps gain in Seiken Densetsu 3 on the SNES emulator though. There were no problems so far so I can confidently say go ahead and upgrade.

Edit: OMG, Touch screen tracks all the way around the screen now, no dead spot on the left and right side anymore!!! I also seems to be much more accurate!
Edit2: More info seems to be shown by TOP now in Termula2X
Edit3: Not that you would want to use a swap file on flash storage but swapon works now.

Back