Firmware 1.2, Can I Downgrade?

HydraLancer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hey all

I have tried updating the gp2x with the new firmware but i'm not seeing my card anymore in the menus, Now I've read that once you do the SECOND portion of the upgrade there is no turning back, but I havent gotten to that part yet so i'm wondering if its possible to go back to the older firmware.

Thanks

It should be possible. Put the kernel.img file of the previous firmware version that worked in the root of your SD card. Turn your gp2x on with the SD card in and, hopefully, you will see the firmware upgrading picture. Before you downgrade, try taking your SD card out and then putting it back in while the unit is on and in the main menu. Sometimes remounting the card will make it readable.

tried the re-insert of the card, doesnt work, the thing is the thing that made me upgrade was that Integral cards reported to work for some people, and thats what I have. One issue that may seem scary is that I had the nand lock patch, which I uninstalled but I dotn know if it actually did or not I just went to uninstall in the untilites menus but none of the files dissapeared from the patch as far as I could see. I dont know its all very tense now. do I have to just copy the img file? is that all thats needed?

Yes. When you boot up the gp2x with the new firmware updates and the screen shows "firmware updating", it is just copying the kernel image. The rest of the application patches have to be applied manually using the utility.

THANKS A TON! :)

It worked just fine, but now the question is, what the heck was the incompatibility all about? One thing that scares me is that when I was trying to update to 1.2, the img file never removed itself, so every time it booted it said "firmware upgrading" this scared me a few times becuase I didnt know if it would brick it or not but it didnt thank god. I really dont know the logic behind it. This was very strange to say the least. :blink:

The deletion of the .img file doesn't seem to be done by U-Boot, it seems to be done by the kernel with its dodgy SD drivers. I had the same problem with my SD card, and I upgraded the firmware twice by accident. Glad you've got it working, and if you're thinking of trying out 1.2.0, I would advise you to give it a go, after all, you can always downgrade if it doesn't work.

Back