Firmware Update Not Working On Your Sd?

Gadget

I have posted a copy of this posting, as it may get overlooked. I am working on resolving some of the problems with SD firmware update issues.

Just updated a test utility and v2.0 firmware image file, if anyone wants to try it.

You need to unzip the exe, and the SD image file (below).

It's hardcoded to use G: drive for the SD card reader / writer at the moment. So you may need to shift your drive letters around.

The SD image is a fresh 256Mb FAT32 image containing only the v2.0 firmware
files. Hopefully this might work!! Please let me know the
outcome, and maybe if it doesn't work I can try something else.

Unzip the image file to the root of C: (you can delete it afterwards). Then
run the exe, and click the 'Write' button to write the image file on C: to
your G: drive. It should work with any size SD card (greater than 256Mb),
but try a 256Mb if you have one.

http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/Gadget/SDImageUtility.zip
http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/Gadget/IMAGE.zip

The immediate thing I noticed with XP is that it's too clever for it's own good and writes Windows XP (NT) boot sector crap onto the disc when you format it! This image wasn't formated on XP and doesn't have the crap in the boot sector. It may not work, I have no idea until I get my GP2X.

PS: You can compare the files first to check they are 100% the same as the firmware files you have to install. I don't want to be responsibile for any 'bricked' GP2X's, so you take the responsibility for running this! Make sure you can see the files on the PC first (copy them from the SD back to your HDD to check they are all readable). And make sure you have a good power source before updating!!!

2nd EDIT: You shouldn't need to run the 'Read' bit, but if you do mess around with it you will find that Reading is currently VERY slow. It's reading in single clusters (512 Bytes) at the moment, but the Write is working with 32 clusters at once.

3rd EDIT: If you are reading this, and your firmware flash already worked, please consider using the utility to write an image of your card (needs to be 256Mb as the utility only reads the first 256Mb at the moment) If you could upload that image, I reckon it will work for other members! This of course assumes my image won't work, but it may.

i was able to upgrade this way.

see the firmware upgradable cards faq for more info

Back