Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

lucoxade

SCOURGE!
Website
www.scourge.co.uk
The first firmware upgrade will only work with certain cards, if you can confirm that your card will accept the firmware upgrade please post in this thread.

Only copy the gp2xboot.img file onto the SD card if you know for a fact that you need it there. It is very likely that you will kill your GP2X if the firmware flash fails while writing this file. If the gp2xboot.img file is on your SD card then delete it if your not sure.
Thats how I killed mine :(

To upgrade the firmware;

• Format your SD card using FAT32 (this is the normal filesystem for most windows machines, in OS X you may need to format it as MS-DOS but I can not confirm this),
• Download the latest firmware from http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42
• Unzip the file and copy all the contents into the root folder of your SD card
• Insert your SD card into your GP2X and power on.
• You should see the 'Firmware Upgrading' screen and it will delete the gp2xboot.img and gp2xkernal.img files off the SD card and reboot, If the 'Firmware Upgrading' message does not appear, then you have not successfully upgraded the firmware. Try again :(

master_051128165619.gif

Confirmed state of SD cards; (Incomplete)

Working Cards;

SanDisk 128MB
SanDisk 256MB
SanDisk 512MB
SanDisk 1GB
SanDisk 1GB Ultra II
HTL 128MB
FujiFilm 256MB
Integral 1GB
Peak 256MB
Kodak 64MB
Corsair 1GB High-Speed 60x
PNY 256MB
Kingmax 64MB
DANE-ELEC 256MB
Lexar 1GB
My Media M+ 128MB £9.99 from Tesco
Impact 256MB
ATB 60x 1GB
TomTom 128MB
Legend 1GB
Canon 16MB
EDGE Tech 512MB

Non-Working Cards; MMC cards and SD cards over 2GB will not work

Viking 256MB
Viking 512MB
Viking 1GB
Integral 1GB
Toshiba 256MB
Kingston 256MB
Kingston 512MB
Kingston 1GB
Kingston 2GB
Nokia 32MB
Apacer 1GB
Peak 128MB
Lexar 64MB
Lexar 128MB
Hypertec 512MB
x4store 1GB
SanDisk 256MB
Transcend 1GB
Panasonic 64MB
Panasonic 256MB
CN Memory 512MB
HAMA 512MB
Canon 16MB
Dane-Elec 512MB
PNY 512MB
PNY 1GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm contrary to that list, it worked fine last night when I upgraded the firmware using my Integral 1GB

EDIT: It wasnt the only file on the card either, all the emus and games are already on there, i just put the img file in the root of the card, stuck it in the 2x turned on.

I think it seems to be more a case of how the card is partitioned/formatted as opposed to the make of the card

I think it seems to be more a case of how the card is partitioned/formatted as opposed to the make of the card
I would believe this, but I have tried formatting both cards and I have had no luck.

Plus, EvilDragon did the same process with several cards, the update working with only one.

I have now tried both a 256MB SanDisk and a 1GB SanDisk. I tried with them both formatted FAT and FAT 32. I formatted them as FAT32 through the internal card reader in my laptop.

I have also tried with 2 Transcend 1GB SD cards. Again, both formatter as FAT and FAT 32.

I cannot (for whatever reason) get the GP2X to update the firmware.

edit:
My version is 2005.11.09 - GP2XV001 - 00000328

If that helps in any way. Did the people that have succesfully flashed the firmware had a device with that date?

edit again:
I have now tried with fresh batteries as well and it still fails. I'm curious what is going on here. I have attempted to use SD cards that people have reported as working. I have formatted them as FAT32. I have made sure that the .img file is the only file on the SD card. The GP2X still deletes the file from the SD card and fails to flash the firmware.

I am absolutely stumped at this.

I would believe this, but I have tried formatting both cards and I have had no luck.

Plus, EvilDragon did the same process with several cards, the update working with only one.
Someone on here edited the partition table under linux using fdisk and got it to work and another person confirmed it. So thats all im really basing my guess on

I have tried a sandisk 256MB and 512MB and a 'MyFlash' 128MB card and none of them work.

Note: there are a few different types of sandisk cards, we done a test on the zodiac forums ages ago (http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?s=&showtopic=14266&view=findpost&p=149189). so people could be using different types and getting different results.

Umm contrary to that list, it worked fine last night when I upgraded the firmware using my Integral 1GB

EDIT: It wasnt the only file on the card either, all the emus and games are already on there, i just put the img file in the root of the card, stuck it in the 2x turned on.
If you have a linux box AND a card reader, maybe you could try mounting it on linux and see the output of the "mount" command.

Just curious to see if it's something like "/dev/sda" or "/dev/sda1" (i.e. if it is partitioned or not).

I don't have a linux box at home, ill check it on monday.

Windows disk management says 969MB FAT32. It doesnt seem to be partitioned at all

Ive never even reformatted it, its been in use in my pda since i brought it and i just switched it over to my gp2x until 2gb cards are working and i can use the card i brought for it.

Well, third attempt. I have now tried formatting three cards as FAT32 in Linux (SUSE 10.0). I used the 'mkdosfs -v -F 32 /dev/sdd1' command (/dev/sdd1 is where the SD card was in the card reader).

Nothing has worked. This is very frustrating. I have now tried two SanDisk SD cards (1GB and 256MB) (formatted FAT32 in both of Windows and Linux) and a Transcend 1GB card formatted FAT32 in both Windows and Linux.

Why won't this work????

try using fdisk to write a new partition table to the sd card using partition type 0B (win95 FAT32) and then formatting the new partition with that command. Thats what someone else did and got it to work for them

try using fdisk to write a new partition table to the sd card using partition type 0B (win95 FAT32) and then formatting the new partition with that command. Thats what someone else did and got it to work for them

Nope, that has failed as well. I am about ready to give up at this point. All I get is an empty SD card for my troubles.

So let me tell you a kind of funny story. I'll start towards the happy ending. Those that want to read the earlier parts should please refer to my earlier posts in this thread.

I have now rebooted into Windows and attached a Verbatim 6-1 card reader that I bought at Staples in Winnipeg, Manitoba in February or March of 2004. I reformated my 256MB SanDisk SD card as FAT32 and copied the updated kernel image over to it. I inserted it into the GP2X and turned the thing on. I was very upset at it at this point. What do I see? A "Firmware Updating" screen. I was astounded.

Why did it now work? Why hadn't it worked before? The only difference was that I was now using a 6-1 card reader (in Windows XP, I never got it to work properly using the same card reader in Linux) instead of the internal card reader in my laptop.

Regardless, I now have a slightly darker GP2X screen (without the white line on the left hand side). I will test some video later and see if the line splitting the screen into lighter and darker halves has disappearred.

Thanks for your help Chris_r (even though it didn't help).

I can now verify that the SanDisk 256MB SD card that I bought today will indeed allow one to update firmware on the GP2X (as long as it is formatted using my Verbatim card reader).

edit: I -> A

Peak 256Mb SD card (www.peakhardware.com) allowed me to flash to the new firmware. And man, that screen really looks classy and different then, from overlit washed out super small telly to highcontrast tft appearance! Like the blu screen from the gp32. The hardware is very much capable of better things.

a little off topic, but are these just issues with upgrading firmware? I just bought a 2gb SD card and want to use it with my gp2x when it comes. I have some smaller sd cards around that I can use to flash firmware if there are issues flashing with the 2 gig card. I haven't seen anyone talk about using a 2gig card for general use, and was wondering if it's because they aren't supported yet?

EDIT: nevermind, just read the post about the news from gph. unless anyone has newer news.

Back