First Homebrew Game For The Ds Released

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
It takes some seperate home built hardware (around $30 to make) to get homebrew going, but the first ds homebrew game has been released. It should be easy to port from the gp32 once there is some good commercial hardware to allow code to be run too.

Tetris :D.
tetris.jpg

Dozer posted on Feb 11 2005 at 08:43 AM said:
It takes some seperate home built hardware (around $30 to make) to get homebrew going, but the first ds homebrew game has been released. It should be easy to port from the gp32 once there is some good commercial hardware to allow code to be run too.

Tetris :D.
tetris.jpg

Fricken yay ;) They can port GP32 stuff and I can then run it on a smaller lower res screen at a slower speed, wow can hardly wait <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 11 2005 at 07:01 PM said:
Fricken yay ;) They can port GP32 stuff and I can then run it on a smaller lower res screen at a slower speed, wow can hardly wait <_<
Why the hell would they port GP32 stuff when they could make new stuff miles better than GP32 stuff?

Ganepark32 posted on Feb 12 2005 at 12:03 PM said:
And theres no point doing that cause tetris is coming out on DS so y would u bother doing that to ur DS when tetris DS will only be £20?

because Homebrew is free... Once u have paid that £30 to make the thing then you are set to go probably.

meh... you guys sure are being a little close minded about the whole thing. I mean damn my eyes about popped outta my head to see that they've already found a way to run homebrew on the DS... who cares if it's Tetris or ports of GP stuff or f'ing PONG at least someone has got it done and running and very soon to boot!!

This can only mean good things for those of us patient enough to hold onto our DS's thru the incredible lack of software in hopes that something better was coming along :D

:D.

Because the ds also has extra hardware. For example, the gba has better nes emulation than the gp, and snes is almost the same. The ds however has the gba hardware, only the main gba chip is much faster, and then it has a seperate arm 9 too.

Homebrew should be so creative, and then there's the option to use gp32 emulator code as a base for new emulators.

Would be so cool to have a commodore emulator with the bottom screen being used for a keyboard.

Edit: It run's through the gba port, but in arm 9 mode... or something. I know a cable goes into the ds slot too though.

Ganepark32 posted on Feb 12 2005 at 01:03 PM said:
And theres no point doing that cause tetris is coming out on DS so y would u bother doing that to ur DS when tetris DS will only be £20?
Whats the point in any homebrew if we can just play commercial games?

Really, you made yourself sound like a dick there.

thats not wat i was meaning. im all for homebrew but when tetris is getting a release then wats the point in doing that when the game will be cheaper than actually buying the hardware to run it. If we wait though then the hardware will be better and finally some emulators will get released

You still don't get it though, it wan't done just so tetris could be run, tetris was just to show it was possible. You really need to engage your brain here.

Dozer posted on Feb 12 2005 at 05:47 PM said:

Because the ds also has extra hardware. For example, the gba has better nes emulation than the gp, and snes is almost the same. The ds however has the gba hardware, only the main gba chip is much faster, and then it has a seperate arm 9 too.

Homebrew should be so creative, and then there's the option to use gp32 emulator code as a base for new emulators.

Would be so cool to have a commodore emulator with the bottom screen being used for a keyboard.

Edit: It run's through the gba port, but in arm 9 mode... or something. I know a cable goes into the ds slot too though.

Well NES is better on the GBA only because the emu is written better. If the same emu was on the GP32 it would absloutely CRUSH the GBA version.

The thing everyone seems to always miss is that the screen resolution is too low (256 x 192) to properly display many emulated games on the DS. Detail will have to be cut out (Genesis for example is 320 x 220). Why would you want less resolution and a smaller screen than we have now on the GP32? It just doesn't make any sense, it is stupid. Why go backwards?

DaveC posted on Feb 14 2005 at 06:57 PM said:

Well NES is better on the GBA only because the emu is written better. If the same emu was on the GP32 it would absloutely CRUSH the GBA version.

The thing everyone seems to always miss is that the screen resolution is too low (256 x 192) to properly display many emulated games on the DS. Detail will have to be cut out (Genesis for example is 320 x 220). Why would you want less resolution and a smaller screen than we have now on the GP32? It just doesn't make any sense, it is stupid. Why go backwards?

oh but you have to understand,these people are just STARVING for games on their
ds,any news is welcome :D

DaveC posted on Feb 14 2005 at 06:57 PM said:

It's not the only reason. The gba also has extra hardware. It's difficult to judge the usefullness of custom chips in emulation. But it has shown useful in snes for example.

I'm not saying the ds should be better than the gp for emulation. I'm just saying it opens exciting possibilities.

DS will see emulators alot earlier than the PSP though, because they have alot of easily portable ones available, and the homebrew scene is leaps and bounds ahead.

The DS is pretty much already dead though. DS really stands for Dead System. Nintendo themselves has admitted to be comming out with their next handheld next year to replace it (GB evolution or some such thing). This will be far better than the DS and probably be like the PSP in terms of power. Maybe they will even suprise us all and actually put in a decent size screen this time :p

Back