First Person Shooter "packs"

Ghaleon

Still Fresh
The Wiz has been out for a few months already. I love it. One thing which is on the back of my mind is why nobody has released any ports of first person shooters like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, or Duke Nukem with all the necessary files in order for them to run without problems. The Wiz is supposed to be a console, and they are all supposed to be built the same way. However, from what I heard, the only people who have been able to run these games correctly were people with the knowledge, experience, and patience to build batch files and scripts in order to get them to run. I tried to run a few of these games briefly without success. Can somebody who has gone through all this trouble make a "package" or a "pack" with all these files? Basically a folder that we can just copy into the games directory and the games will just run. Or is doing something like this impossible because of licensing issues? If the licencing issues are indeed the problem, I totally understand. I also understand that since the Wiz is an open source console, there will be a lot of tinkering involved. I spent a lot of time getting MAME to run. But Duke Nukem is one game, not a collection of 100 games.

Yes, this is due to licensing. The game data for these games is not redistributable.

Someone could probably do shareware version packs in some cases, but I suspect most people will want to play the full game. :)

You didn't hear this from me, but, anything can be found on the internet if you search hard enough. I can't post any specific links but try searcing for the exact files you need on Google. I had to do that with Rott because I couldn't get the game to install on my computer.
I don't condone piracy but I know how annoying it is when something you really want to work, doesn't.

Pickle said:
Copy paste is that hard?
1. Copy game binaries
2. Copy game data
3. DONE!
<sarcasm>but were iz teh next btn?</sarcasm> ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back