flash firmare?

neo10060

Still Fresh
this is probably a really stupid kinda newbie question, but ive heard alot obout flashing your firmware, or something. making it flash. i no wut firmware is, (i think :blink: ) and i no wut flash is, if its the kinda flash im thinkging of.. But if someone could tell me wut flashing your firmaware is and if its good or what. I really dont no nething about it. thanks.

Well, I am not much of an expert either, which is why I have not yet flashed my firmware. However, as I understand it, you firmare is the software that automatically boots up when you turn on your GP32.

You probably have the standard one that I have, and that gives you a choice between Games, MP3 or PCLink. Well, there are other more pretty firmwares about that will go straight to the stuff you are interested in and not play annoying tunes or insist on you using Free Launcher.

I have had such trouble in the last year with my PC, playstation, GBA, GP32, and even my walkman and digital alarm clock, that I am convinced that if I tried to upgrade my firmware it would go wrong and kill my GP32. It sounds so tempting though...

i think the term flash is from really flashing a rom, with light...
Dont know how it worked, but older roms where configured by light,
so if you want to put something on your rom you should 'flash' it.

But i'm not 100% sure about that :rolleyes:

And the main function of flashing is to change a rom, mostly the bios.
This would mean that your operating system on you gp32 could be
changed to a other operating system.

So i one would make a better version, you can flash your gp32 so you
have a updated or other operating system.

Same stuff can be done on you PC...

(if you don't know, ROM=Read Only Memory, no saving in this area <_< )

saying that, I think flashing dreives its name from the flash chips that store the firmware perhaps?

is that windups thingy a firmware thing. cuz ive heard alot about that and it sunds kinda col, it loks like a pc desktop with icons and stuff.

you can flash your firmware and have it boot directly to windups
(which is cool - i should do it!)

or you can just stick windups in your GPMM and go through there w/ normal firmware. this may seem excessive though.

is windups 1 of those things ur not supposed to talk about, well i guewss if it is then this part will be deleted. wut site can u get windups off of? sry mods if im not supposed to talk about it or somehting :unsure:

I've had my GP32 for over 4 months now and I was always afraid to flash it, now the Aquafish MF has came out and I said what the hell and tried it. Its GREAT!! I will never go back to the original Firmware now, the Aquafish FW is awesome.

I've had my GP32 for over 4 months now and I was always afraid to flash it, now the Aquafish MF has came out and I said what the hell and tried it. Its GREAT!! I will never go back to the original Firmware now, the Aquafish FW is awesome.
After flashing to Aquafish's lastest firmware I've been using the eurofirmware's pc link and its actually a lot faster than the original. With the old one its used to pause for about 5-10seconds after every 3mb and then resumed, the euro one just keeps going, very cool :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the boot image and text/background colors work well for you? I've tried to put a new boot.bmp file and chosing another combination of text and background colors, but it doesn't work (colors are not the ones I set with the GPbootconf tool).

It also happens when I use the default boot.ini and boot.bmp files from Aqua multifirmware package. :unsure:

I'm using version 2.1.

Back