Flash On Pandora

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
This really isn't an opinion, but probably me just being uninformed. So in all honesty, I'd like some information on this.

Flash support on Pandora has been talked about by many as if it's a given, at least at some point during Pandora's lifespan. I've heard that there's some open-source Flash distro of some kind that can be ported/implemented. That being said, why haven't other devices without flash done the same thing? Pocket PCs, certain cell phones and symbian devices, browsers for the PSP/DS (though you may have some technical limitations on the latter). Again, this is most likely me not knowing specifically how you'd utilize code to do this, but at least if I'm wrong I'll save myself the hassle of looking like a complete retard in the future. :lol: Thanks!

CronoTriggerfan said:
This really isn't an opinion, but probably me just being uninformed. So in all honesty, I'd like some information on this.

Flash support on Pandora has been talked about by many as if it's a given, at least at some point during Pandora's lifespan. I've heard that there's some open-source Flash distro of some kind that can be ported/implemented. That being said, why haven't other devices without flash done the same thing? Pocket PCs, certain cell phones and symbian devices, browsers for the PSP/DS (though you may have some technical limitations on the latter). Again, this is most likely me not knowing specifically how you'd utilize code to do this, but at least if I'm wrong I'll save myself the hassle of looking like a complete retard in the future. :lol: Thanks!
This is why: http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/04/...-drops-lic.html

That article articulates it better than I could in a post. ;)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, Ginrai, cleared up everything. :D I didn't realize how recent this news was, which would explain why it hasn't yet been implemented into other mobile Linux devices.

actually in reference to the "flash distros" or more like flash clones gnash and swfdec ....

gnash is based on boot libraries and would prolly be a pain to port

swfdec ...i have no idea

I would say the main reason they haven't been ported is that they are mostly linux based projects and nobody that knows the code wants to use said devices

the nokia n800 has an adobe flash port i think maybe we could get an NDA for the source or something

PS this has all been discussed before search the forum

cb88 said:
the nokia n800 has an adobe flash port i think maybe we could get an NDA for the source or something

PS this has all been discussed before search the forum
No offence intended, but I *think* you might need to search the forum (or at least God Ginrai's response to this very thread)... ;) No agreements to obtain any source are required now, as the licensing requirements have been removed, and the format "opened up". ;)

CronoTriggerfan said:
Thanks for the link, Ginrai, cleared up everything. :D I didn't realize how recent this news was, which would explain why it hasn't yet been implemented into other mobile Linux devices.
You're welcome. ;) I'm very glad to share this information because I'm very excited about the implications of it.

-God Ginrai

you misunderstand ...yes the spec and license are open but the source is not

link: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=42672&st=0

in fact i believe it has been said that adobes actions will neither slow down nor speed up gnash progress but i can't find the link for that one..... the reason for that is that they have no source from adobe and still have to reverse engineer everything :-(

as you can see here http://maemo.org/news/announcements/view/1183705330.html the n800 has ADOBE FLASH 9 .... not just a clone the real think how did they get it? they got it because nokia asked really hard for it :) gnash is a great idea but has problems and i despise any lib (boost) that requires a couple gigs HD space to compile

from the adobe site what it means is that they want to have flash distributed similarly to Nvidia driver on linux from what i can tell....:
http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/faq/
To support the mission of the Open Screen Project – enabling a consistent runtime environment across desktops and devices – and as part of Adobe's ongoing commitment to enable Web innovation, Adobe will continue to open access to Adobe Flash technology, accelerating the deployment of content and rich Internet applications (RIAs). This work will include:

* Removing restrictions on use of the SWF and FLV/F4V specifications
* Publishing the device porting layer APIs for Adobe Flash Player
* Publishing the Adobe Flash® Cast™ protocol and the AMF protocol for robust data services
* Removing licensing fees – making next major releases of Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR for devices free

CronoTriggerfan said:

The "H" community would love this.. :ph34r:

CandidStan said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

Who the heck's that? :lol:

CronoTriggerfan said:
CandidStan said:
Who the heck's that? :lol:

'H' stands for Hentai (Wikipedia link, contains a mildly NSFW pic). I believe this is the sort of thing to which Stan refers. These sort of games are often written in Flash.

The community that everyone belongs to laugh.gif ... Flash, with something as generous as the pandora, would be a royalty... I wouldn't expect it to ship with anything but limited flash capability. It will undoubtedly be attempted in the future though, and i respect and wish the best of luck to anyone really wanting to give this the full on shot.

cb88 said:
in fact i believe it has been said that adobes actions will neither slow down nor speed up gnash progress but i can't find the link for that one..... the reason for that is that they have no source from adobe and still have to reverse engineer everything :-(

No, now they don't have to reverse engineer anything. They have the specifications and requirements for a flash player, but they still need to engineer their own software to comply with those specifications.

When making a web browser, you don't need to look at what Internet Explorer does with web pages; you only need to read the relevant specifications (http, html, etc.) and build software that will comply (still a lot of work).

The same thing is done with MP3, MPEG-4, PDF, etc. The specification is open so anyone can make software that will comply with it. In the case of MP3 and MPEG-4, algorithms and other intellectual property are open but still requires licensing fees. So, projects such as LAME and XviD are possible because they can work off of the open specifications, but they get around licensing issues because their work is for "educational use only."

In the case of Flash, now, anyone can look at the specifications, build software that will play swf and flv files, and charge for the software, implement it in commercial projects, or give away the source code without paying licensing fees to or even consulting with Adobe. All of the software hasn't been given to the open source community, but they can start with what Adobe has given them and make their own implementations that will be freely distributed with source code.

It never really works like that though does it? You can write a flash player from specs, and you can write a web browser from specs, but your player and/or web browser will never work from just specs, as different people interpret the specs in different ways. So to get a fully compatible flash player or web browser, you need to see how existing software works.

The spec is always useful, but it's not the only thing required.

Look at for example, FireFox and Foxit. Both made from specs, neither worked correctly at first until they got a "quirkes" mode.

Squidge said:
It never really works like that though does it? You can write a flash player from specs, and you can write a web browser from specs, but your player and/or web browser will never work from just specs, as different people interpret the specs in different ways. So to get a fully compatible flash player or web browser, you need to see how existing software works.

Sure, if you want to bring reality into this discussion :p

In my world, specs are written accurately and well enough to not need further clarification ;) .

Squidge said:

Look at for example, FireFox and Foxit. Both made from specs, neither worked correctly at first until they got a "quirkes" mode.
That's because the specs were not followed in all aspects. Internet Explorer, for example; included it's own proprietary ActiveX stuff, that was not part of the specification and broke things because of that.

OH THANKS THAT WILL HELP US SO MUCH WHILE MAKING THAT FLASH PLAYER WE'RE ALL PLANNING TO MAKE

heh... and open spec still doesn't = open source just like I said and they do still have to reverse engineer stuff ie whatever doesn't follow the spec straight and narrow

Back