Release FLAT

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
This is a very short game in term of gameplay, but still challenging. It has been made (not by me) for a competition "a FPS in 7Days".

preview1.png
It's a "Tron on Ice" theme Arena FPS.
You have to decimate the Pulse Dragon, but first have to eleminate many of his guards.

You "skate" with trigger (alternate left & right trigger as you would do with your left & right feet on ice-skating). Shoot with {X}, jump with {A} and Heal with {B}. Dpad is used for direction.

At first, you'll see a Medpack in front of you. Grab-it to have 3 heal kits and a weapon, than skate a bit to familiarize yourself with the control. Soon enough, Yellow skater (they are evil of course) will appears and start shooting at you.

When you have been hit too much, screen will start fading in red .. it's time to quickly use a medkit {B}...

Also, press [start] at any time to quit game

Good luck (and if you found the use of jump, tell me). Well, according to the doc, pressing UP while skating make you go faster, and jumping while pressing left or right trigger allow you to dodge bullets.

There is no menu, once dead, the game exit (after a little splash screen)...

History log
=========

Build 04
-----------

• Update sources to 1.2
Build 03 (not uploaded)
-----------

• Update source to 1.1

Build 02
-----------

• Put official icon
  • New optimised build, 50% faster than build 01.
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Modified gameplay to ease a bit the game, and make it more progressive.
For those interested, here is the diff from the git code: FLAT_pandora.zip

Attachments

• FLAT_pandora.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I have to tell you this:

I played this game for about 10 mins. just now. 

There was some lag and frame skipping. Otherwise I would say this is BRILLANT!! Never played a FPS on ice like this. It did end quite abruptly  :eek:

The music and graphics are stunning. I like the reflection of the ice cap mountains on the ice. The tron character sounded very robotic like and as he skated around I notice blood when a shot hits him.

I like the way the edges of the screen dim as you lose health.  

It seemed like a demo.

As I mentioned it just ended rather quickly but you did mention this.

This has soooo much potential.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Yes, I found the ambiance and gameplay of this quite, well,  refreshing ;)

I tried to contact the author but failed to found a email adress, so I left an "issue" on the git mentionning Pandora Port. Hoppefully the authors will continue this game. And you are right, it's a bit like a technological demo. But fun to play anyway, when you want some FPS for 10min on the go.

Well, this is unexpected! I'd be happy to pop a build of this up as a downloadable on the FLAT site if that's desirable :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Cheeseness just sent me a link to this page!

This is really cool, and it makes me want to clean up the code a bit. I know there's some crazy 3D transformation nonsense that should be refined a tad =).

I haven't really heard anything about the OpenPandora platform, how much code tweaking did it take to have it run properly?

Well, this is unexpected! I'd be happy to pop this up as a downloadable on the FLAT site if that's desirable :D
Oh, yes, please do it :) !!!

This is really cool, and it makes me want to clean up the code a bit. I know there's some crazy 3D transformation nonsense that should be refined a tad =).

I haven't really heard anything about the OpenPandora platform, how much code tweaking did it take to have it run properly?
Not much modif ! Beside the usual Key tweaking, main point was to adapt screensize.

The game runs at 20fps on Gigahertz Pandora, and a bit less then 15fps on a Rebirth (GPU is slower). I guess I can get more performance if I reduce size of artwork.

Hey, as soon as I run this game it quits immediately. Opening the pndrun log from the tmp directory indicates a segmentation fault as soon as it opened. 

Hey, as soon as I run this game it quits immediately. Opening the pndrun log from the tmp directory indicates a segmentation fault as soon as it opened. 
Can you download again, or reboot your Pandora? I have tested it of 2 Pandora and it runs on each one without problem. There is just "segfault" on pnd_out? Nothing more usefull?

Hello, I rebooted my Pandora and downloaded FLAT.pnd again. Here's the contents of /tmp/pndrun_FLAT.out right after running it:

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/PSPANDPANDY/pandora/menu/FLAT.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/PSPANDPANDY/pandora/appdata/FLAT
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/FLAT"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PSPANDPANDY/pandora/appdata/FLAT=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/FLAT=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/FLAT"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/FLAT:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /mnt/utmp/FLAT/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
./runscript.sh: line 21: 2242 Segmentation fault ./FLAT.arm
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/FLAT': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 2

From what I can see it does indeed just say "segmentation fault".

I also found these messages in dmesg, if they're any use:

Code:
[  275.246887] aufs 3.2-20120109
[  275.263977] aufs test_add:261:mount[2230]: uid/gid/perm /mnt/pnd/FLAT 1000/1001/0755, 0/0/0777

Oh hang on, it turns out I'm using SuperZaxxon 1.52. I'll upgrade now and see if that fixes the problem. Cheers

OK, now I'm running SuperZaxxon 1.54 and it still segfaults on both XFCE and MiniMenu.

OK, now I'm running SuperZaxxon 1.54 and it still segfaults on both XFCE and MiniMenu.
What is your model of Pandora? Does other software that use GLES acceleration works on your model, for example DuneDynasty (same Allegro5.1 library), SuperTuxKart, GLQuake-ES or Muppen64, to name a few)?

Hum, on a second though, it's not GLES, because you have the same issue with ASCIIpOrtal, that is just SDL. That's very strange.

To upgrade to 1.54, you use full reflash or upgrade.

Do you have many software that segfault or just FLAT & ASCIIpOrtal, and many other that work fine?

(many questions and no anwsers, sorry)

According to that sysinfo app, I'm running a Rebirth model Pandora. Software such as GLQuake-ES, Mupen64 and AAAA work fine, but SuperTuxKart also immediately segfaults and quits, as does LibreOffice.

I just used the non-reflash upgrade pnd to upgrade to 1.54.

And as noted above, some other pieces of software also segfault and quit in much the same way that ASCIIp0rtal and FLAT do.

Thanks for all your help so far.

According to that sysinfo app, I'm running a Rebirth model Pandora. Software such as GLQuake-ES, Mupen64 and AAAA work fine, but SuperTuxKart also immediately segfaults and quits, as does LibreOffice.

I just used the non-reflash upgrade pnd to upgrade to 1.54.

And as noted above, some other pieces of software also segfault and quit in much the same way that ASCIIp0rtal and FLAT do.

Thanks for all your help so far.
So basically, all the software I packaged segfault on your Pandora. That's strange. Did you modify your firmware yourself ? I can suggest to use full reflash, but I know it can be a pain to loose your config.

That is indeed odd. I haven't modified my firmware at all; it's 100 percent stock. I think I'll try a re-flash, to see if it will fix a few other OS bugs I've noticed as well. I may have broken something a while back while "fixing" something else :p

Hey, I just did a full reflash to SuperZaxxon 1.54 and it fixed all segfaulting problems with all software mentioned above. I'd just like to say that ASCIIp0rtal is an excellent game :D

Thanks very much for all your help.

Well, this is unexpected! I'd be happy to pop this up as a downloadable on the FLAT site if that's desirable :D
Oh, yes, please do it :) !!!
Will do :D

Just one thing - is it better to link to the page you linked to in the first post, or the binary itself (will definitely have a description mentioning this thread)?

Not much modif ! Beside the usual Key tweaking, main point was to adapt screensize.

The game runs at 20fps on Gigahertz Pandora, and a bit less then 15fps on a Rebirth (GPU is slower). I guess I can get more performance if I reduce size of artwork.
I have planned to make the asset sources available for some time. They do need a bit of tidying though to make stuff easier to work with - currently it's multiple revisions of a single .blend with animations overwritten rather than kept separately. It'd be good to break all that up and make the render node workflow a bit simpler, but I haven't had time for any of that yet.

It shouldn't be hard re-render at lower resolutions though if that's preferable to manual resizing.

I wouldn't imagine that a low frame rate would matter too much - the character animations themselves are pretty low (15 fps, I think we tuned it to?), and there aren't many rotational frames either. I haven't tried it at something that low though, so it may just end up feeling bad.

Back