Floppy disk labels for SD cards?

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
I was thinking about picking up a higher capacity SD card as the primary for my Pandora.  Since the Pandora is a retro gaming computer I want to add labels to my SD cards that resemble 5.25 inch floppies (with label) so it can be a little more like the computers I used as a kid.  These are available with this SD card reader.  I haven't asked if they can be purchased alone, however I want to see what else is available.  I don't have the resources to make high quality labels like this myself.

I searched for a bit and the only other place I found something like this was here, but that is obviously the wrong type of floppy.  The site says they are working on other designs, and it looks like there is the one I want in the picture of the box, but the site seems like it hasn't been updated in a couple years.  Does anyone know of another source for labels like this?

I have seen the ones with game and console logos (including the Pandora logo).  Are there any other fun labels you think I might be interested in?  

While I am shopping I will be looking around here and the wiki to see what SD cards people have working.  If anyone has recommendations for reliable 128GB or higher cards from reputable US sellers at an affordable price that work with the Pandora feel free to share a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floppy disk labels 

Brilliant idea

Floppy_disk_300_dpi.jpg

What type of floppy stickers did you have in mind exactly? do you have any examples?
Something like the ones in a couple of the pictures of the SD card reader at retroconnector.com that I linked to above.  Here:
20140403_092444.jpg

Floppy disk labels 

Brilliant idea
Yeah, I will probably order the ones that look like that (second link) either way. They will also probably be funny to more people that see them than the 5.25 style, but I must have those, too.

I wonder if anyone will produce any stickers that look like the 3 inch discs used by later Amstrad machines (including some Amstrad manufactured Spectrums IIRC).  Given the shape of an SD card is rectangular, not square as other old discs were (5.25 and 3.5in as well as larger ones), it would seem like a better match.

After looking around a bit more I couldn't find anyone else selling labels like these.  I found some companies, including Kingston, that offer custom labels with the purchase of SD cards, often including duplication services.  Something like that might be nice for ED to offer for Everdrives/Pandoras/Pyras with a logo or whatever, but I am not buying in bulk.  Kingston had a minimum "co-logo" order of 100, which is more than I need and probably a lot more than I am willing to pay.

Since I can't get high quality, durable labels, or even something like the ones that usually come on them from the factory, I have decided to go really cheap and just print some pictures on normal paper and put tape over them, with double sided tape under them if needed.  I can try a few different ideas pretty cheap this way.  I will probably do black and white, leaving the disk label blank or with a tiny logo so that I can write what is on each card.  I am probably going to borrow the image from my second link to do some like that, especially if I do some in color.

By putting the save icon on my SD cards I will know that is where I saved my files. Except that none of the pictures here or at my links really look like save icons.  If there are 5.25 inch floppy style save icons the picture I made to print out probably does.

I wonder if anyone will produce any stickers that look like the 3 inch discs used by later Amstrad machines (including some Amstrad manufactured Spectrums IIRC).  Given the shape of an SD card is rectangular, not square as other old discs were (5.25 and 3.5in as well as larger ones), it would seem like a better match.
Or Microdrive cartridges, also rectangular. A to-scale 3D printed Microdrive body to enclose a USB reader too..!

@rygD, I also looked around, but had no luck. The best thing i could come up with is to manually print the labels using a template made out of a resized vector graphic or a hi-resoultion photo of a 5.25" Floppy. I was trying to hack something together that would be suitable for printing, but as my Gimp (or Photoshop) skills aren't too great i didn't manage to produce anything worthwhile.

Although if you could find anyone who might give you a hand with that, here's the stuff i found that could be used as a base:

See if they can hack together something that will fit the following measurements - http://imgur.com/a/itQHc, if it turns out alright (and not too pixelated) you can export the result into a pdf and send it to some small local printhouse that offers sticker prints in small quantities. If it's a decent (and self-respecting) printhouse, they should be able to print durable enough stickers for not much of a price.

This is damned hilarious; I have never ever thought of this concept.. <- mind blown!

I love the 3d printed 525" PC drive USB card reader. That is so totally cool :)

It makes me want to make up something like that, that has a microcontroller or something that spits out appropriate GRRRD, GRRD, <PAUSE>, GRRRRRD noises and delays :)

I still have a coupe beloved Atari ST floppy drived around, and naked 5.25" and 3.5" PC drives (for a tower case, not external) "just in case". Those ST drives are in cases though.. it'd be a shame to take the mechanism out, but putting something in there, as an execuse to have them on my desk again.. that's really tempting.

Maybe now I need to find broken old drives, and then put computers or something in them. Holy crap.

Damn you for putting ideas in my head :)

If you find somewhere to get SD labels like that, that can be gotten just as labels, let us know; or if you find a printer friendly sticker-label-package that's the right size, and someone sorts out a template, or something. hmm..

Way cool, thanks for the neat ideas :)

@rygD, I also looked around, but had no luck. The best thing i could come up with is to manually print the labels using a template made out of a resized vector graphic or a hi-resoultion photo of a 5.25" Floppy. I was trying to hack something together that would be suitable for printing, but as my Gimp (or Photoshop) skills aren't too great i didn't manage to produce anything worthwhile.

Although if you could find anyone who might give you a hand with that, here's the stuff i found that could be used as a base:

See if they can hack together something that will fit the following measurements - http://imgur.com/a/itQHc, if it turns out alright (and not too pixelated) you can export the result into a pdf and send it to some small local printhouse that offers sticker prints in small quantities. If it's a decent (and self-respecting) printhouse, they should be able to print durable enough stickers for not much of a price.
I am not going to spend much more time on it.  Since I won't be getting something that great from the printers I have access to I am not going to spend much money or waste too much of anyone else's time.  If I was paying for it I would expect better and work to get the best I can.

One problem I have with a photograph is that it is unlikely to look as good with a cheap printer, or in greyscale.  What I made is a lot like the other 2 images.  I will take a look to see if they are better than mine.  When I was nearly done I was using it as an overlay with a photograph to ensure everything was as good as I could get it.  I am still working on the hub ring.  The white background won't look right on an SD card of another color, and I would want a white disk on a white card.  White won't look right to me in the hole in the center.  For my black cards I am trying to find the combination of black and 2 dark greys that I think work best.  After looking at the blue one you linked to I am considering doing the same using blue for the few blue SD cards I have.

I already had the dimensions.  I was using them while looking at companies that do labels for a variety of things, and that was when I decided just to try it with paper and a cheapish printer.  I will use those pics to try to keep it from looking too trashy while figuring out what looks right to me.  I didn't think about a sticker company.  When the term came up while I was searching I instantly dismissed it because it brought to mind cheap stickers from when I was a kid.  Bumper stickers and others I get free when buying things from some companies are actually pretty decent, so that should work.  I just hope it isn't too costly to get something printed in multiple colors.  Thanks for the suggestion.  That is probably what I will do if I like the look of the home printed paper ones and decide to get something more durable and of the quality I wanted.  

Now I am also considering doing something like this for CF cards for some of my other computers.  Maybe I will do what that company I linked to in my first post said they were going to do (a variety of labels).  Time and money are things I can't invest too much of into this right now, but we will see what happens.  I can try to do what others have mentioned in this thread if others might want them.

This is damned hilarious; I have never ever thought of this concept.. <- mind blown!

I love the 3d printed 525" PC drive USB card reader. That is so totally cool :)
I think it is probably that project that planted the idea in my head.  I am still an Apple IIe user, so I try to keep up on news and projects related to those computers and came across that, along with an Apple II shaped case for Raspberry Pis (and recently small displays made to resemble old Apple monitors so that you can have a complete tiny Apple II set up for your Pi...but to use it you will still need a working keyboard).  I thought about getting the card reader if it would work with my CFFA3000 for my real Apples, I just doubt it will stand up to my abuse.  I think the same person makes this stuff that looks like other old computers/peripherals.

Damn you for putting ideas in my head :)

If you find somewhere to get SD labels like that, that can be gotten just as labels, let us know; or if you find a printer friendly sticker-label-package that's the right size, and someone sorts out a template, or something. hmm..

Way cool, thanks for the neat ideas :)
"Neat ideas" waste so much of my time and money.  I was irritated that these sorts of labels aren't readily available because I am now stuck with the drive to make them, and I know that won't go away until I get some SD cards that look like floppies...

I am pretty sure there are printable SD labels on Amazon and such.  Those probably aren't good enough for me, and they cost too much just to try it out without finding out what looks right first.  I thought there was a template around here years ago that was used to make a bunch of labels with various console and game logos or something on them (I saw a Pandora logo one while searching).  I am pretty sure if it works for those printable labels you can just drop a suitable graphic on it.

Its a neat line of ideas; using old power bricks (some of them were distinctive), or especially random floppy drive enclosures.. as r-pi cases, electronics project cases, USB hub enclosures, SD card reader enclosures as you found, or other crazy ideas. Since I've been hacking out all kinds of home grown electronics projects and homebuilt computers and robots, it is quite a neat idea.. the Atari ST floppy drive is actually nearly the exact right size for a couple of projects; drill some holes for ports and blinkenlights, and voila .. so now I'v asked around a couple local user groups to see if anyone has dead old drives :)

My main retro computer is the Atari ST (we went vic-20 to Atari ST and then I branched off into PCs of course), so most of my early coding and gaming is on that platform (we never did SNES, NES, Genesis, any of that, so to this day I'm a PC gamer more than a console gamer.)  I have a freakish Atari collection (I used to very loosely work for Atari, back in the day), including very rare Atari ST related pieces (STacy laptop, ST Book laptop, etc), and I run a couple FPGA based systems (Firebee, MiST) all the time. But never a reason for grindy grind floppy drives.. we all moved to 'SatanDisks' long ago (SD storage pretending to be floppy drives), or just direct SD on the FPGA devices.

For 3d printing, some easy projects pop out

Apple II drive: .. can't seem to paste right now, oddly.. see thiniverse, anyway; theres Apple II drive, Atari 1050 drive, Mini C64's and 1541s, and so on.

jeff

Or this ancient old modem, USRobots were pretty beefy and had LEDs on the front.. plenty can e done with that :p

Most of my early computer experience was with Apple IIs and early Macs in schools and libraries.  There were schools still using IIes as late as 2000, which still surprises me and shows how useful they can be.  I knew people that had Atari computers and Commodores, but I didn't get to use them much, and usually only for games when visiting friends.  At my home we eventually got an IBM compatible something or other, but I was rarely allowed to use it.  

At home I was limited to the TV, phones, video game consoles and handhelds, however I messed with, opened up and modified what I wasn't supposed to anyway, which included some of those things.  I remember our television remote either wasn't working or I wanted to figure out how it worked, so I pulled it apart and poked around (no proper tools or knowledge back when I was 6 or 7).  I cleaned it up, got it back together and it was fully working.  I had learned that it told the TV what to do via IR, so I was content.  I did the same with mechanical stuff.  I still love playing around inside simple mechanical things, like this cat toy I recently opened up and made work better.  The cats love it now.  If only I really knew what I was doing with these things I could probably make my own stuff instead of fixing and improving what was made by others.

I still have a DuoDisk that I don't need anymore since picking up the CFFA3000, and yet I want to get a couple Disk IIs.  I love the sound, look, and feel (smell, taste???) of old floppy disks and drives, and the only reason I cut down on using them is because $1 a disk is a bit much for me, and afaik the ones I need stopped getting produced long ago.  

I really wish I had more time, money and space to devote to my old computers and consoles.  Family and pets don't seem to appreciate me scattering them throughout the house, especially when I have them opened up.  My Game Boys don't take up much space, but I usually fill half the floor in a room when I pull out all my IIes to do something.  I stick with one for most things, and have a Platinum one I want to fix up (missing keys, maybe other issues, I would need to read my notes) and put on our desk with everything that goes with it, and possibly one of the upcoming Uthernet II cards and a CFFA or some other similar modern storage solution.  I also want a C64 for several reasons.  I still very badly want an amber monochrome monitor, but not enough to pay some of the prices I see when I find them.

I am usually opposed to harvesting cases and parts from old stuff for use with other new projects and such.  I like them to be repaired or used to keep their kind alive.  At least you are going for dead or nearly useless things.  It really pisses me off when people take things that are working perfectly and destroy them for stupid reasons.  One of the worst is cutting keys off of old typewriters.  With other stuff you can usually find a way to make it functional again.  I imagine it would be nearly impossible to get keys reattached and lined up properly on a typewriter that has had this done.

You just reminded me that I wanted to get an acoustic coupler modem or two for an absurd idea I have had for a long time.  Damn you! :p

The smell of old computers mainly comes from dust burning on the transformer, I suspect.  With discs it's all about the noise: CHRRK, CHRRK.....CHRRK, whuppa whuppa whuppa TICK whuppa whuppa TICK.

I just hope it isn't too costly to get something printed in multiple colors. Thanks for the suggestion. That is probably what I will do if I like the look of the home printed paper ones and decide to get something more durable and of the quality I wanted.
I fixed a Megadrive cartridge and a few game cases a few months back and had to print a new label as the old one was torn and drawn on with a pen. The label i needed was printed on a sticker the size of a standart A4 paper, for which the local printhouse i went to charged a little less than 1EUR (IIRC), so in my opinion, not much trouble there.

Also, you don't really need a sticker company, form my expierence any (self-respecting) printhouse that does posters, flyers or any large scale prints should also have an option for printing stickers.

So if you can manage to get the template right for SD cards, just stack several of them neatly on an A4 sheet and export it to a PDF (don't bring over any PNG's, make sure you export to PDF), the printhouse should do the rest.

Also, if you're thinking about doing CF's, here's some mesurments i also found - http://imgur.com/a/UAkrw

And anyway, glad i could help. ^_^

The smell of old computers mainly comes from dust burning on the transformer, I suspect.  With discs it's all about the noise: CHRRK, CHRRK.....CHRRK, whuppa whuppa whuppa TICK whuppa whuppa TICK.
I was joking about smell and taste, although I do like the smell of electronics.  I don't know what the smell is, but it is not burning dust.  Also, all of my old computers are dust free inside.  The sounds are really great.  I wonder if I can (with my lack of skills) make my Pandora play a sound every time a card is read or written.  Completely impractical, but it might be fun for a few minutes.

Night, A4 sized stuff is uncommon here, but I get your point.  I suppose I could go to a normal print company, but if I am paying for them I want them to be of a fairly durable material.  I have had factory labels damaged in a sweaty pocket. I would prefer vinyl or whatever some of these stickers I have are made of.  I checked a couple of office supply places that do printing when I was looking the other day, and I suppose they might be good enough for more typical materials.

got sick kid here, typing hard

online vinyl printers exist.. you could pack quite a few sd labels in small area

I wonder if I can (with my lack of skills) make my Pandora play a sound every time a card is read or written. Completely impractical, but it might be fun for a few minutes.
I think that can be managed with a python script, you just need to find where and how the kernel shows the R/W indications.

but if I am paying for them I want them to be of a fairly durable material
Well, if you do find yourself in an actual printhouse, you could ask for a material sample before placing any orders (any self-respecting place should most likely have something on display) and see if that suits your needs.

Back