Format ext3 or fat32 Sandisk 64 GB sdxc for pandora

trevormacro

I have Sandisk 64GB SDXC card.

I want to format with windows Seven operating system but I have only NTFS , exFAT format.

How can i do to format in Fat32 or ext3 with windows 7 ?

When I insert the card, it don't appear on the desktop on pandora ( no sd card icon ).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have option "ext3" or "fat32" in format... with SD formatter 3.0 in windows seven.

Why ?

At least with regard to ext3, it's because Microsoft Windows does not support ext3.

Microsoft discourages the use of FAT32 for larger devices (that is the only reason why the SDHC standard was limited to 32GB!) and therefore even completely removed the possibility to format drives >32GB with FAT32, even though there is no real reason why you shouldn't do it, except maybe the ~4GB file size limit.

You have to use 3rd party tools do to so.

Microsoft discourages the use of FAT32 for larger devices, *snip* even though there is no real reason why you shouldn't do it
FAT32s lookup speed is proportional to the number of blocks it contains and therefore the size of the device: ie, it starts to slow down the larger the volume. I'm not sure whether the slow downs are linear or exponential though; either way, it isn't good.

FAT is also not very good at tracking and using free space, making fragmentation quite common, something that is exacerbated the more files you have which tends to be correlated with disk size (ie: the bigger the disk, the more files you save to it, the more likely you are to get fragmentation)

So yeah, there are a few reasons why FAT32 is a poor choice for large volumes and I can see why Microsoft tried to artificially limit the size; it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft made a poor design decision and then tried to fix it after the fact without changing the thing that caused the problem in the first place ;)

FAT32s lookup speed is proportional to the number of blocks it contains and therefore the size of the device: ie, it starts to slow down the larger the volume. I'm not sure whether the slow downs are linear or exponential though; either way, it isn't good.

FAT is also not very good at tracking and using free space, making fragmentation quite common, something that is exacerbated the more files you have which tends to be correlated with disk size (ie: the bigger the disk, the more files you save to it, the more likely you are to get fragmentation)

So yeah, there are a few reasons why FAT32 is a poor choice for large volumes and I can see why Microsoft tried to artificially limit the size; it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft made a poor design decision and then tried to fix it after the fact without changing the thing that caused the problem in the first place ;)
Actually the problem is that calculating the amount of free space is proportional to the FAT table size (IIRC), so thats why M$ has artificially limited FAT32 to 32GB. I would just use mkdosfs ;) - but I havent actually needed to make that big FAT partitions in a long time (did it once when I still dual-booted with some M$ product...)...

just format the card ntfs?

edit:

i think the question is: How do you enable ntfs support (community codec package) when all your removable media are formatted ntfs?

can you download and install the ccp to/from firmware?

Back