Forum Sections

elvgren

Still Fresh
Hi, looking through the forums its clear that we need more sections.

For instance the established emulaters such as MAME and UAE4all, these are cross posted in at least two sections and its sometimes confusing knowing where to post.

Maybe for instance, a dedicated News section, tech section and chat section for each emu, this im sure would help a lot, News could be locked after the post so any queries could go in the tech section, you get my idea anyway?

E

I kind of agree but the problem would be everything gets spread out too much and become too hard to track. On occasions I am too busy to check here, I can go missing for a month but I check the forums daily and like to check just a couple of places quickly like news and main. But now I check news, main, homebrew and emulators. IF there were more it becomes harder

I think your problem is that a moderator is moving posts into the relevant sections as time goes by so that may be the cause of confusion. It should settle down eventually.

yes, for instance i wanted to post in the uae4all thread but its a news based forum, so is surely not right?

But if I had added to an older post in the proper section maybe it would not be seen, what to do?

E

no i reckon its alright atm we have both an emulation and a hombrew forum.
generally with the news section authors will release their stuff in there so it gets to the front page, and its not that hard normally to work out if its no longer in news section, its most likely in one of the other 2 forums i mentioned above

even more sections we will end up having to have one for "what kind of colour my poo was, last time i had a dump"

yes i understand and im sure emulaters that are very rarely updated dont need this but when it comes to evolving software such as uae4all, got to ask if its right to post in the news section, what happens if v6.5 is released, another post in the news section then many posts with peeps giving advise and asking questions, you could delete earlier news posts but maybe these will be relevent to someone as they do now carry more than news. Surely its own forum is needed/

E

I think the sections are fine now but I think they could be used better. I'd like to see the News section posts locked and discussion only allowed in the relevant Emulator or Homebrew section. That way the news would stay in the correct order and not be biased towards certain releases.

Hi, looking through the forums its clear that we need more sections.

For instance the established emulaters such as MAME and UAE4all, these are cross posted in at least two sections and its sometimes confusing knowing where to post.

Maybe for instance, a dedicated News section, tech section and chat section for each emu, this im sure would help a lot, News could be locked after the post so any queries could go in the tech section, you get my idea anyway?

E
Sorry I don't think this is a good idea, each Emu would have to have it's own section, and do you realise how big this would get. Not only that, sub divide that with News, Tech and chat, you won't know where to look.

The place is quite alright at the moment. Use the Emulation section for Emu chat, news section to read about just that and homebrew for, well I guess that one is obvious :)......

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's easiest to have discussion in response to a news post in that news post's thread I think, for a few reasons:
  • When the news hits the front page, the comments link leads to that topic - it's the first port of call.
  • The news poster is auto-subscribed to that topic, so they are notified of replies easily (I think).
  • The older threads aren't then bumped up with 50 pages of no-longer-relevant points.

So am I to understand that this post wasn't even filed in the correct forum (Suggestions)? If you can't look through the forum listing before making your thread, how can you expect people to do so when we add ten more boards to the place?

I think we have enough boards already (in fact, too many - and we've already done a few spring-cleans) and adding more would only make it more difficult to check up on new posts.

im suprised theres no "hardware section" for those that have general enquiries regarding hardware malfunctions,breakout boxes etc what type of sd card to use etc.

So am I to understand that this post wasn't even filed in the correct forum (Suggestions)?

Embarrasingly you are right.

To be honest the only part of the forum that interests me is the top half thats about the GP2x and I never look to the bottom of the page, so hence my post was really for that section but I will admit I should have checked for a suggestions forum as that is forum related and not just GP2x.

gives up

E

elvgren posted on Dec 1 2006 at 06:17 AM said:
So am I to understand that this post wasn't even filed in the correct forum (Suggestions)?

Embarrasingly you are right.

To be honest the only part of the forum that interests me is the top half thats about the GP2x and I never look to the bottom of the page, so hence my post was really for that section but I will admit I should have checked for a suggestions forum as that is forum related and not just GP2x.

gives up

E

The slipzone comes to mind...

Back