Forum software inquiry: Search queries as HTTP GET so that you can simply share/re-use a search quer

porg

Could the forum software please be changed, so that the search form is submitted as HTTP GET instead of HTTP POST ?

Advantage: The search query is a simple URL, which contains alls the necessary variables, thus can be:

• bookmarked for later use, if you have a customized search you frequently use,
  • easily shared with others simply by copy/pasting a URL instead of giving an instruction like "search for the terms "X and Y" withn the forum sections "A and B", and restrict it to "Z".
Pro users may use certain tools (i.e. Chrome Pendule), which change a POST into a GET request, but this ain't user-friendly.

Would love to see that feature, if it's possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Check the bottom-right corner

2) Not sure either. Perhaps there could be an official plug-in that changes search behaviour.

1) I don't know what IPB stands for and 2) how is your question related to my inquiry?

There is a company called InvisionPower.

They sell forum software called InvisionPower.Boards (=IPB)

This forum is an IPB installation.

Since its closed-source, the only way to improve it is to use plugins

Forum admin ED said, it's not possible within the current IPB.

Possibly within IPB 4, or a later version.

Just  google for "site:boards.openpandora.org [whatever]" for the time being.

Wait.. what? You got me confused opening three threads over your gripe with the search engine in rapid sccession.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to use an OpenSource forum software, but haven't found any that is really good for larger communities.
Inyoka is pretty awesome and already being used with a massive amount of users (ubuntuusers.de), but releasing it (as Open Source) is still something that will eventually happen at an unknown point in the future - the devs think it is still not ready to open it up for the public (too closely bound to the complex server situation of ubuntuusers.de, bugs that ought to be fixed first, incomplete documentation...)

They have been cooperating with other community portals, though, there was at least one that I know of that used Inyoka as well.

Back