Four Shoulder Buttons?

Four shoulder buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes, but I'm concerned about not being able to press the right button.

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Pritchy

Hi,

It cannot really be denied that one of the main selling points of the current Pandora is it's impressive capacity for games, specifically Emulation. It seems to me that, as good as the current Pandora is, it's missing one feature for good (PS1 for me personally!) emulation: 4 shoulder buttons. I understand that you could probably map one set to the keyboard or touchscreen, but for a perfect gaming experience, especially with shooters, it would be beneficial to have two shoulder buttons either side.

But how, I hear you cry! The obvious problem is the lack of width compared to, for example, a PS1 controller. I thought perhaps the best way to do it is simply to have the buttons one above the other, like any normal controller, with a small gap in between. Your finger would rest in the middle of the two, and you would simply rock your finger back or forwards slightly and press down, using the gap as a guide to where each button is. This should allow you to easily press the correct button, and, as you are resting your fingers in the center of the two buttons, there would be no problems with the buttons being too small. I can also imagine there being an option in the software to change the function of the R2/L2 key to match that of the R1/L1 key, essentially removing the second set of buttons for people who prefer not to have them.

This would also have applications outside of gaming, for example when listening to music on the go with the Pandora in the pocket, one could easily access the top two shoulder buttons, which could be used for pause/play and skipping a track, or something similar.

I'd like to mention that I unfortunately don't own a Pandora, as much as I'd like to. Hope my thoughts are still welcome.

Added second poll question - Binky

Last edited by a moderator:
Might end up very thick, but Look into the jxd s7300.
I'd also favour this sort of arrangement for shoulder buttons as it would allow one shoulder button to be used at the same time as another. e.g. R1 might be boost, R2 might be special fire. You could keep the boost button pressed in and tap special fire on R2 etc. As monstercameron says it would also have less impact on the overall thickness of the device.

Pretty sure though that P2 should have 4 shoulder buttons, I bet the vast majority of users would view this as a significant upgrade compared to P1.

It would also allow for the mapping of left & right mouse to shoulders (say R2 & L2) and keep shift & control mapped to the other shoulder buttons (say R1 & L1).

@ Pritchy : Your thoughts are very welcome (from me anyway) discussion of what people would like to see in P2 should be open to anyone who is interested, closing the discussion to anyone who does not own a Pandora would be sheer folly IMHO. So if you've got any more suggestions please post away. :)

I've given this some thought - not that my thoughts actually count.  Yes, it should have 4 shoulder buttons, 2 per side.

Right now we're using a big flap paddle that also acts as the exposed corner of the device.  Let's not repeat that, OK?

The shoulder or trigger buttons should be able to be used individually (selectively) or mashed (all at once) or one held and the others hit selectively.  That leads to an engineering issue since we're really talking about something that is only going to be used with one finger per 2 buttons.

I think I have a solution.  Two closely spaced switches with tall narrow caps.  They could be upwards of 4mm 'long' left to right, but only 2-3mm from peak to peak vertically.

/\_/\

And that is just about to scale.  The points could be rounded off a bit.

It would be easy to feel which button you're on.  You could rest your finger on the valley between.  Push down and in for the lower, up and in for the upper, or straight in for both.

Think of it as a finger-sized rocker switch with a hinge/split in the middle.

There is a mod by Askarus, which gives 4 shoulder buttons to the Pandora.

Given that this is a relatively simple feature to include, and that there is so obviously a demand for it, I can't relay see why not ^_^

You guys will just have to accept what MWeston gives you..

please Mweston can we have some more... buttons?

I thought MWeston had found other things to occupy his time and only wants to take an advisory role in the P2 Whatchamacallit?

According to Pandora Hacker's Guide, the Pandora PCB has provisions for L2 and R2, I don't know why they never get used.

NgDcnPj.png

Oh man!  I've been wanting to mod it like this when I read the hacker's guide.  I've never known that this guy did it!  Nice!  I'll try this in the near future  :D
I think he said he went through several cases to get it right.. It's a tough modification.
I have a spare case and shoulder buttons, I may give it a shot this weekend if I get some real time  :D

This would also have applications outside of gaming, for example when listening to music on the go with the Pandora in the pocket, one could easily access the top two shoulder buttons, which could be used for pause/play and skipping a track, or something similar.
To make this work the buttons / casing around them would need to designed so that they aren't pressed by accident, otherwise it won't be very practical as they either get pressed very often, or if you would utilize a keylock it would be inconvenient to use.
BTT:

4 Shoulder buttons would be nice, but I would like them horizontally aligned.

DaveC made the case, not MWeston IIRC. 

So Jealous...

Back on topic:

What about having L2 and R2 on the bottom, so that you squeeze in with your middle fingers to press the buttons? I think this could work out well if designed correctly.

And for Shoulder Buttons in general: The next console needs better shoulders. Something more like the GP2X had.

-God Ginrai

L2/R2 gives additional modifier keys. No longer would thumb-roll tab be necessary, or more usefully, the far-travel fn keys (like G and Y) become significantly faster to use. Shift, ctrl, alt, fn, all at immediate finger presses. Such bliss.

Back