Freenet For Pandora/Pyra

J

jes3

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question.

Is there any way to make Freenet work on The Pandora and future Pyra?

This is the link: Freenetproject.org

Looks possible, since the source is available and they've already done a Linux port.

I can't say more than that, since I'm not experienced in this stuff - but it could be as easy as just compiling it for ARM (or there could be a horrible mess of dependancies and weird hardcoded assumptions)

I daresay a more knowledgable person than myself will be along shortly...

Since freenet is written in Java, it might be a bit heavy for the pandora. Pyra should have no such problems.

EDIT: I have just run the official installer. It spits a few errors in the process, but the resulting installation seems to work nevertheless.

EDIT2: Freenet runs fine on my 1GHz pandora. Like I expected, it is a bit too heavy for it, taking 200 MB of RAM (and another 150 are taken by PaleMoon) and lots of CPU cycles. But it's definitively functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
@dimagog: how did you get past the initial problems? I got an error of no permission when I tried to install. Can you tweak it and make a pnd-file out if it?

@dimagog: how did you get past the initial problems? I got an error of no permission when I tried to install. Can you tweak it and make a pnd-file out if it?
You'd have to install somewhere you have permission to write to. Also, installing freenet on FAT32 may be a problem, since there is no permissions support on FAT32.

I'm working on a PND right now, it might take me a couple of days since I want to provide native libraries where possible to improve performance.

Thanks dimagOg! I just downloaded it and will test it this evening! I have a 1ghz Pandy. Also thanks Binky, you were right :)

I haven't tried freenet yet, but the similar i2p. It's written in Java, too, and it runs fine on Rebirth.

I haven't tried freenet yet, but the similar i2p. It's written in Java, too, and it runs fine on Rebirth.
I'll have to try and install it on my Pandora then. Did you just use the Linux installer?

I tried the Freenet pnd 3 times. It doesn't work for me yet. I get an error message in the little white terminal/console that says "warn: native cpuid library jcpuid not loaded - will not be able to read cpu information using cpuid"

Then it takes a while to gather entropy, and suggests I get a 'better random generator like haveged.

Then I get a bunch of WrapperManager Errors. Then it says: "shutting down."

The last line says: "auplink:plink.c:223: AUF_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

Anybody else have problems?

But, I installed the i2p thing, and amazingly it works fine :)

I get an error message in the little white terminal/console that says "warn: native cpuid library jcpuid not loaded - will not be able to read cpu information using cpuid"

Then it takes a while to gather entropy, and suggests I get a 'better random generator like haveged.

Then I get a bunch of WrapperManager Errors.
Those three are not to worry about. cpuid only works on x86, I didn't check out random generators yet, and the wrapper is disabled on purpose.

Did you try to remove your appdata/freenet folder and start over? What filesystem are you using on the SD card where Freenet is installed?

I get an error message in the little white terminal/console that says "warn: native cpuid library jcpuid not loaded - will not be able to read cpu information using cpuid"

Then I get a bunch of WrapperManager Errors.
Those three are not to worry about. cpuid only works on x86, I didn't check out random generators yet, and the wrapper is disabled on purpose.

Did you try to remove your appdata/freenet folder and start over? What filesystem are you using on the SD card where Freenet is installed?
The filesystem the freenet-pnd is in is an ext3. I did like you said and deleted the freenet folder in appdata, and started over. This time the process changed. The little white console pauses at "Trying to gather entropy by reading disk..." and it goes no further. When I "X" out the console, and click on freenet again, nothing happens. I have to restart my pandora, delete the freenet folder, click on the freenet, and it stalls at the "gathering entrophy" spot.

I'll keep trying.

Start-up process does take several minutes, and I fear that closing freenet randomly corrupts the appdata and leads to further issues.

You should leave the console running, open your browser and open 127.0.0.1:8888 page. It should appear in about a minute and display detailed status messages. At some point, it will ask you to configure your node, and only then you will be able to use freenet.

Likewise, shutdown process is quite long, and I advise you to press ctrl+c in the console and wait for a coupe of minutes till freenet reports it has exited cleanly.

Start-up process does take several minutes, and I fear that closing freenet randomly corrupts the appdata and leads to further issues.

You should leave the console running, open your browser and open 127.0.0.1:8888 page. It should appear in about a minute and display detailed status messages. At some point, it will ask you to configure your node, and only then you will be able to use freenet.

Likewise, shutdown process is quite long, and I advise you to press ctrl+c in the console and wait for a coupe of minutes till freenet reports it has exited cleanly.

It worked this time dimag0g!

I think I figured out my issue. I looked closely at the picture you included in the freenet.pnd link, and saw that in your address you had the - http:// - in front of the 127.0.0.1:8888. The other times I just did like you said and simply pasted the 127.0.0.1:8888 into the address bar and clicked go, and nothing loaded up for me with Pale Moon. This time I placed the - http:// - in front and now it's working. I can see a page that says: "your freenet node is starting up, please hold on." 

I'll shut it down with the ctrl+c from now on.

Thanks again!

It worked this time dimag0g!

I think I figured out my issue. I looked closely at the picture you included in the freenet.pnd link, and saw that in your address you had the - http:// - in front of the 127.0.0.1:8888. The other times I just did like you said and simply pasted the 127.0.0.1:8888 into the address bar and clicked go, and nothing loaded up for me with Pale Moon. This time I placed the - http:// - in front and now it's working. I can see a page that says: "your freenet node is starting up, please hold on." 

I'll shut it down with the ctrl+c from now on.

Thanks again!
Update:

Something is not wroking. Pale Moon browser doesn't go anywher beyond that initial status page. The status page tells me to wait while it collects entropy. The little console says it needs entropy. So I waited for an hour, and nothing changed. The console gets stuck at gathering "enough entropy," and it doesn't react to ctrl+c. I had to "X" out the console after an hour, and rebooted, deleted the freenet folder again; tried over several times. The console shut down as before 3 out of 5 tries. The other 2 tries it just got stuck at the point where it tries to gather enough entropy.

I'm afraid the first Beta version doesn't work for my Pandora? Perhaps my Pandora doesn't have something to give it entropy?

I'll have to try and install it on my Pandora then. Did you just use the Linux installer?
yes, I have used the generic Linux installer jar. By default, I2p will be installed into the virtual home directory (mounted in umtp) of the java appdata folder. However, I had changed that path and installed it directly under home, when I ran the OS from SD card.
From the description on their website I can deduct that i2p is similar to tor, only smaller (in terms of community) and written in Java.
Tor is mainly for browsing the clearnet. It has many exit node. i2p has just about three exit nodes and two of them are always down. The third one is always overloaded. So, i2p is not made for access to the clearnet.

The status page tells me to wait while it collects entropy. The little console says it needs entropy. So I waited for an hour, and nothing changed. The console gets stuck at gathering "enough entropy," and it doesn't react to ctrl+c. I had to "X" out the console after an hour, and rebooted, deleted the freenet folder again; tried over several times. The console shut down as before 3 out of 5 tries. The other 2 tries it just got stuck at the point where it tries to gather enough entropy.
I'm currently working on entropy solutions (haveged and friends). But I must say I'm surprised it doesn't work at all for you.

Meanwhile, here's one more thing you can try: freenets tries to get entropy by generating HDD events which is propably next to useless on a pandora which has no HDD (and SD cards have far more deterministic seek time). So you could try to generate some entropy by acting on the devices pandora actually has: nubs and touchscreen. Move your nubs/stylus randomly for some time (1-2 minutes) when freenet tries to gather entropy.

Yet another thing (what I actually do) is connecting to the internet before starting freenet, and browsing other sites while it's gatering entropy. This way, network packets geterate random events, and I'm not so bored while waiting.

EDIT: I'll add http:// to the clipboard contents in the next release.

The status page tells me to wait while it collects entropy. The little console says it needs entropy. So I waited for an hour, and nothing changed. The console gets stuck at gathering "enough entropy," and it doesn't react to ctrl+c. I had to "X" out the console after an hour, and rebooted, deleted the freenet folder again; tried over several times. The console shut down as before 3 out of 5 tries. The other 2 tries it just got stuck at the point where it tries to gather enough entropy.

Meanwhile, here's one more thing you can try: freenets tries to get entropy by generating HDD events which is propably next to useless on a pandora which has no HDD (and SD cards have far more deterministic seek time). So you could try to generate some entropy by acting on the devices pandora actually has: nubs and touchscreen. Move your nubs/stylus randomly for some time (1-2 minutes) when freenet tries to gather entropy.

Yet another thing (what I actually do) is connecting to the internet before starting freenet, and browsing other sites while it's gatering entropy. This way, network packets geterate random events, and I'm not so bored while waiting.

EDIT: I'll add http:// to the clipboard contents in the next release.

I'll try again. I was using my Pandora yesterday, using PanDebian's terminal to apt-get install Tor and stuff. Although the freenet process stalls at gethering entropy for me, something seems to be draining my battery power. I began with 79% at the beginning of the process. A couple hours later I was down to 48%. But, I was using the pandora for other things while I was waiting for freenet to load up. I'll use internal system info app to watch what is happening this time.

Hello, free net won't install on my pandora.

When I use the pnd it doesn't work. It will shut down and say, rmdir: failed to remove /mnt/utmp/java Device or resource busy.

I also tried the java installer from the website and that doesn't work either. I get an error message that says, Error executing /bin/chaos a+x /media/jill/freenet/run.sh

Anyone know how to fix either issues?

Back