Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Unrational choice

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

comradekingu

Glowing ember
Website
portfolio.anotheragency.no
Recently I read this "Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade." speaking of the windows 10 "upgrades".

To which I think, yes, that would anger me too, but i don't use it, and I can offer information and help to switch to Linux|GNU for those that do:

Describe
  • What kind of hardware you have
and/(or)
  • What kind of use you want to get out of it (and capable hardware will be suggested within your budget)

I use Windows because it is better as a laptop OS for me: it preserves my battery and keeps my fan from blowing too fast when using Flash in my browser. It plays videos without screen tearing. Also, I can install very easily the most recent programs to an old quite stable OS (win7 64).

I like Linux, use it happily on my home server, will use it happily on the Pyra. However this page has a lot of valid points:
http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

It is not a better OS, even though its relegated only to the desktop. As far as desktop OS-es go, there is no laptop-OS category.

Microsoft is not only bad, its against good choices, to the point where it developed ACPI, and thus can obfuscate the process of running a laptop.

The article touches on points, it doesn't make them.
Probably you've heard many times that Android thus Linux is conquering the entire world since it's running on the majority of smart phones
It is running the majority of personal computers, by legal definition of PC.
(which are indeed little specialized computers but not desktops).
Nobody disputed this, but smartpones can run Linux|Gnu and desktop operating systems.
You can also use a phone as your desktop computer, on your desk. Convergence has been a thing long before 2016.
However there are two important things to keep in mind - firstly, Android is not Linux

Nobody disputed this. The only non-evident information brought up thus far is the author thinks Linux, running on smartphones, makes them not take over the world, because their confused mind thinks computing equates to desktop.
(besides have you seen anyone running Android on their desktop or laptop?).
Yes, and that still does not bring into question the distinction between Android and Linux. Lets see how much dis-association we can string together before an argument comes along.
Android contains the only Linux component - the kernel
This person, in a literal sense, does not know how to write.
Yes, ironically, the kernel part of Linux, is the kernel called Linux, so still nobody is disputing this long non-argument. Furthering the irony, the point this person touches on, actually clarifies their confusion.

Android, is not Linux|GNU, but it is Linux. It is Android/Linux. You need something more than the kernel to have appreciable freedom. The GPLv2 nature of the Linux kernel can actually take all notion of user freedom beyond seeing the code away from the users, because it permits hardware obfuscation to prevent users changing the system that they have the code for.

Then it goes on to give space to Miguel de Icaza about his thoughts on linux. A person more who ironically creates them for a living. It is like asking Elop what he thinks of Nokia. RMS labeled him as "basically a traitor to the free software world", and what he has to say isnt even problems with linux, its problems in Linux, due to the shortcomings of thinkpads, going back to closed source drivers for hardware, firmware blobs, and ACPI. So yes, the biggest problems, ironically to the Linux world, is the non-Linux way of doing business.
I don't know specifically what you meant, you are off topic-ing with arguments from a person not capable of making them.

While all these problems are fixable, re-admission of guilt, and describe things that most often work, Windows is fundamentally broken.

Its sick when your biggest problem on the desktop is the vendor who made the OS it runs.

I'm helping people use Gnu|Linux, because that vendor is also the biggest problem to me using my OS.

Last edited:
I can totally see how the topic title goes well with the unbiased respect of other peoples opinions we have in the poll right there.

That aside, I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Linux. Software testing and video games. No, I don't feel like artificially restricting myself in choice in this moment. No, I don't need "help".

I use Linux and have recently discovered that I can stream youtube videos through mplayer, so don't even need a web browser to do it, and certainly not flash. Install you-get and run 'you-get -p mplayer [youtube url]' and a window pops up surprisingly quickly and the video starts playing in my desktop. And it has none of the audio sync errors, slowdown or adverts that have recently started happening to my use of the website.

I also use Linux on an old Pentium 3 desktop which I use as a server, which I use to compile big products and to do some light development on. I guess that's not what most people do with their computers, but I think it's neat that I'm still getting valuable use out of something everyone else would have thrown away and replaced with something else that uses fresh metal ores and other exotic metals, or else metal recycled at great expense. I should probably work out when the inefficiencies inherent in an old system match the costs of separating it out and melting it to reprocess it into a new computer, but given it's running on on board graphics, and is usually run headless, I doubt it burns through that much juice.

I've never meet someone who uses the Hurd kernal. Not even on the Internet. I wonder how it's like. There is barely any videos on it. I know it's really slow in development.

I like Linux, use it happily on my home server, will use it happily on the Pyra. However this page has a lot of valid points:
http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
They have a similar page for Windows.

I guess the best choice is a BSD, then. I hear Apple has a popular one.

I will reply to the topic and explain my poll voice later, although I don't feel my choice is rational. It is fun and interesting, and not limited to one family of OSs.
[doublepost=1464296881,1464296841][/doublepost]
I've never meet someone who uses the Hurd kernal. Not even on the Internet. I wonder how it's like. There is barely any videos on it. I know it's really slow in development.
We should try it then.

I have encountered several instances where people have found out about Linux working great on old hardware that Windows no longer supports - saving it from the waste bin. By an amazing feat of extrapolation they then assume it will not run properly on modern our 'fast' hardware.

Give Debian, Mint or even Ubuntu a whirl on modern hardware. SSD boot times (after hardware post) of 3-5 seconds. Access to so many great programs and games, both free and paid, you'll never miss Windows.

Give Debian, Mint or even Ubuntu a whirl on modern hardware. SSD boot times (after hardware post) of 3-5 seconds. Access to so many great programs and games, both free and paid, you'll never miss Windows.
I've saved a notebook from the trash by installing Mint on it after the current Windows 7 made it even more unusable with every few updates. Suddenly it was able to run current indie games. :)

We should try it then.
There are only two distributions of it as far as I am aware, a version of Debian that has it and a version of Arch that uses it. Also one called NixOS and a few that are discontinued. None of witch are stable at all. I wonder if the Debian version has ARM support. Lol maybe we can get Hurd working on the Pyra cx

I've saved a notebook from the trash by installing Mint on it after the current Windows 7 made it even more unusable with every few updates. Suddenly it was able to run current indie games. :)

I have a Thinkpad T61p with Nvidia business graphics. New it came with Vista. I dropped a 60GB SSD into it, installed Linux, and it runs games smooth at native 1920x1200 resolution.

i have a Windows desktop, a Linux desktop and an OS X laptop. at work - OS X laptop and several Linux laptops and a Windows VM. (all Linux distros are Ubuntu or Mint) i try to keep current and active on all major OSes, but i've noticed that i'm falling behind on keeping up on Windows knowledge.

You can also stream videos in VLC. Media > Open network stream (Ctrl+n) paste URL (ctrl+v) and press play (enter)

Streaming twitch works with livestreamer, which can also be used with better software, like mpv.

I can totally see how the topic title goes well with the unbiased respect of other peoples opinions we have in the poll right there.

That aside, I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Linux. Software testing and video games. No, I don't feel like artificially restricting myself in choice in this moment. No, I don't need "help".

The sarcasm you attempt is the only bane to the topic title i see, but you captured true irony with it.

Unless somehow the spokesperson for people who think using Windows against their will is rational, I find your dismay to maybe be in
the implied notion that using Windows because one doesn't know how to switch is derogatory, it isn't, and the error is entirely on your side, you appear to have read the topic title.

Not exhibiting bias towards people who think making informed decisions to do irrational choices is more to ask of me than I think needs clarification.

Its though possible to go with "unrational choice", given the choice of "or other rational choice".

An uninformed rationalization to make the _irrational_ choice. Unless you specifically single yourself out, we have a shared friendliness.

My OS choices aren't rational. When I find out about something new I play with it. Some of these, like BSD and Linux, work fine for everyday use, while others, like Haiku, I just mess sound with even if I don't think I could get by with it as my daily driver.

I liked the idea of Linux back in the early years, but it wasn't until I used Solaris for a few years that I decided to try to use Linux for most of my personal stuff. During this time I sometimes dual booted, partially for games, and partially for proprietary software I needed to complete paperwork for work. During ask that time I was still playing around with whatever I found (mostly various Linux distros, but BSD as well, including Darwin, and PC-BSD was my primary OS for a couple years, and is still installed on one off my computers). Even amongst Mac users I was "that Linux weirdo".

Once I no longer needed Windows for work I suck with it for a little while for games. Eventually a laptop dying and some strong encouragement from someone pushed me into my current attitude of "no Windows installed on my computers". This worked for a while until I ran into college assignments requiring Windows or other MS or proprietary software. I usually completed these assignments on lab computers, however sometimes I needed to borrow a computer to work on stuff at home...kinda sucks, but that is how things work out sometimes. Now I use a VM at home if I need to, however I bitch and complain to those requiring Windows, then try alternatives that might work for me if they stick with the requirement (yes, my grades suffered due to avoiding those things I disagree with...see, irrational).

In the end, my OS choices are based on what I find interesting and fun, what I know, and what doesn't cause more harm than good imo (the average computer user's knowledge and comprehension has gone down greatly since I first started using computers around 3 decades ago, and that isn't exactly a good thing...long time users now understand less about how things work and how to really do whatever than I did as a kid with limited time/experience with computers. The scary thing is that I still feel like I don't know very much, yet people come to me for assistance, including those that specialize in things I don't mess with that much.).

Also, if you pay me I will use whatever OS or software you tell me to use on your hardware. I am still surprised that a hobby can lead to a career.

I have encountered several instances where people have found out about Linux working great on old hardware that Windows no longer supports - saving it from the waste bin. By an amazing feat of extrapolation they then assume it will not run properly on modern our 'fast' hardware.
I have encountered the situation in the first sentence frequently, often being the person to recommend it. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes they buy a new computer that can handle the current version of the OS they are familiar with. I don't think I have encountered people like in the second sentence, but I will make sure to state that is not the case so they don't get that idea.

There are only two distributions of it as far as I am aware, a version of Debian that has it and a version of Arch that uses it. Also one called NixOS and a few that are discontinued. None of witch are stable at all. I wonder if the Debian version has ARM support. Lol maybe we can get Hurd working on the Pyra cx
I will update my knowledge on it in a little while. The Arch one sounds interesting to me for personal reasons (I still haven't tried Arch, and now that I have stopped distro hopping I will probably never get around to it). The Debian implementation (what is the correct term for this?) may be interesting and useful on the Pyra, so I would be interested in helping out with something like that if it will not be too far beyond my skill level. I also wanted to look into FreeBSD for the Pyra, and try to lend a hand with bringing a couple other Linux distros to the Pyra.

I have a Thinkpad T61p with Nvidia business graphics. New it came with Vista. I dropped a 60GB SSD into it, installed Linux, and it runs games smooth at native 1920x1200 resolution.
If you ever decide to get rid of it, pass it along to someone instead of trashing it. I was just looking into getting a ThinkPad from that era the other day, and I am sure plenty of others would be willing to take/buy it as well.

Well shit, I'll have to stop using Linux after 16 years of using on my Desktop primarily.
No, no, the same person also has this page.

There is no need to jump ship, but if you do there are plenty of other options out there. Some games may be a problem if you don't go with one of the current "big" 3. Is Linux really one of the big ones?

I will update my knowledge on it in a little while. The Arch one sounds interesting to me for personal reasons (I still haven't tried Arch, and now that I have stopped distro hopping I will probably never get around to it). The Debian implementation (what is the correct term for this?) may be interesting and useful on the Pyra, so I would be interested in helping out with something like that if it will not be too far beyond my skill level. I also wanted to look into FreeBSD for the Pyra, and try to lend a hand with bringing a couple other Linux distros to the Pyra.
Well as far as I'm aware Hurd has been really cold beacuse the GNU project rather just use Linux (or they use Linux-Libre now I think) there might not even be an ARM port of it. The term for the Debian variation is Debian GNU/Hurd but most people just call it Debian Hurd. There is also a variation of Debian but with BSD instead of Linux. However I also heard that the Hurd and BSD versions of Debian might fall apart with the switch to systemD because it doesn't support those platforms. Maybe that will change however.

It is not a better OS, even though its relegated only to the desktop. As far as desktop OS-es go, there is no laptop-OS category.
I didn't say any of this. I said "it is better as a laptop OS for me".

I used Linux on my IBM X31 and eeePc 901. On the eeePc I did manage to have similar battery life, on the X31 and my current X220, I don't. Maybe I suck at using Linux, maybe drivers are better on Windows, maybe Microsoft is evil and made ACPI so Linux cannot be efficient, maybe I'm a fool and don't deserve to use Linux as I can't configure it well enough to reach my goals.

The pragmatic result doesn't change: at the moment I get a better user experience with Windows, since I value power-efficiency and suspend/resume on a laptop. Trust me, I'd rather use Linux and am well aware of the issues with Windows.

What's that poll? Where's the "I use both" option?

My Laptop has 2 SSDs and one HDD.
One SSD contains Win8 for Gaming and the other SSD is Linux for every day usage.
HDD is for Data.
Win 8 is cleaned from all the spyware updates and blocks the hosts. Also the Win 10 advertisement has been removed and it will not be installed.

For me that's the best setup.
And no I don't care about Linux gaming and any idealistic reason.
All I want for gaming is that it works.

Back