From Ångstöm Repo To A .pnd?

GizmoTheGreen

i see that opkg can output installation to a folder other than root,with -d or --dest.

could you point that to a folder, slap a pxml in and make it a .pnd?

Yes.

(As long as the program in question doesn't have any additional dependencies; then you'll have to "-d" those dependencies too. Packages that are "-d" friendly are marked as such in the package metadata)

dflemstr said:
Yes.

(As long as the program in question doesn't have any additional dependencies; then you'll have to "-d" those dependencies too. Packages that are "-d" friendly are marked as such in the package metadata)
Also as long as it doesn't expect the files which are now in a different location to be at the original location. Don't know how you can check for that other than running it and seeing if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
dflemstr said:
Yes.

Also as long as it doesn't expect the files which are now in a different location to be at the original location. Don't know how you can check for that other than running it and seeing if it works.
There are, as I said, packages which are marked as being "portable" in some way (opkg will probably say more on the matter), meaning that they will adapt to whatever location they are installed to. Supposedly; I don't yet have a Pandora, BB or QEmu setup so I can't test it.

Note also that most apps expect "~" to be on a big giant disk - so one trick I do is make a runscript that in turn runs the actual app in question, have it set $HOME to be ".", so that it can run more or less in-place (in appdata as Crom intended.)

jeff

Yep, depending on the program, you need to quite work around a few bits.
Chromium, for example, doesn't like the the SocketLock file on a FAT32 (permission problem). So I couldn't simply move the Chromium settings directory to the SD Card - Chromium wouldn't run.

Instead, I made a script. Now the settings directory is moved to /tmp/chromium. Chromium will create the SocketLock file in there and it works (as it has Linux permissions).
Inside that directory, I made a symbolic link to the profile-directory on the SD-Card within appdata...

When you close Chromium, the dirs will be removed from /tmp again.

So yeah - depending on what the programs want, it needs to be some smart scripts to make them work :)

EvilDragon said:
Chromium, for example, doesn't like the the SocketLock file on a FAT32 (permission problem). So I couldn't simply move the Chromium settings directory to the SD Card - Chromium wouldn't run.

Instead, I made a script. Now the settings directory is moved to /tmp/chromium. Chromium will create the SocketLock file in there and it works (as it has Linux permissions).
Inside that directory, I made a symbolic link to the profile-directory on the SD-Card within appdata...

So yeah - depending on what the programs want, it needs to be some smart scripts to make them work :)

wait, does that mean chrome is writing to the nand?
or is /tmp/ in ram?

GizmoTheGreen said:
EvilDragon said:

or is /tmp/ in ram?
/tmp/ is in RAM until your RAM is full, then it writes to the NAND. You can create a swap partition and change some twiddling bits to get it to write to SWAP before going over to the NAND, or you can remount /tmp to be on your SD card, so no sweat.

dflemstr said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
EvilDragon said:

or is /tmp/ in ram?
/tmp/ is in RAM until your RAM is full, then it writes to the NAND. You can create a swap partition and change some twiddling bits to get it to write to SWAP before going over to the NAND, or you can remount /tmp to be on your SD card, so no sweat.

make it a part of libpnd, that when a sdcard is inserted, that has .pnd apps, put a /tmp on the sd-card, and have priority on slot1, :)

suggestion for, was it skeezix?

GizmoTheGreen said:
make it a part of libpnd, that when a sdcard is inserted, that has .pnd apps, put a /tmp on the sd-card, and have priority on slot1, :)
That's a task for udev, not libpnd. Assuming that the Pandora uses udev.

EDIT: when I think about it: pndnotifyd could also be replaced by udev... What's up with that!?

dflemstr -- baaaack long ago I wondered about udev kicking pf python scripts, and making it some very simple lispy commandline apps; udev can't do pndnotifyd, but udev does kick off pndnotifyd via dbus. And when I have free time again I totally need to write a dbus listener properly.

(I'm on 4 weeks of full time babysitting duty right now .. holy crap is that hard work, and I have no free time anymore :(

jeff

GizmoTheGreen said:
dflemstr said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
EvilDragon said:

or is /tmp/ in ram?

Well, that wouldn't help Chromium, as that one file needs Linux permissions and won't run on any SD Card formatted with FAT32 ;)

But Chromium won't run out of memory, as it only creates one small file in /tmp - the rest (profile + bookmarks + cache) are on the SD Card.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
dflemstr said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
EvilDragon said:

or is /tmp/ in ram?

Well, that wouldn't help Chromium, as that one file needs Linux permissions and won't run on any SD Card formatted with FAT32 ;)

But Chromium won't run out of memory, as it only creates one small file in /tmp - the rest (profile + bookmarks + cache) are on the SD Card.

make a file on sd that you mount as an ext2 filesystem? :)
you could use one standard file for several ported apps. say, standard size of, 32mb?

Back