Release Front Page Progress Update

renegadechic

I expect we are going to see a blog update doubly confirming this, but over on http://openpandora.org some more has been crossed off the to-do list.

recently finished are:

* Create the keymat mould (takes 20 - 25 days)
* Mass Production testrun for the final boards
* Wait for the last remaining pieces for mass production (LATEST deadline is second week of March)

which leaves:

* Build a test device and check if everything is okay
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits, takes 30 - 35 days)
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the prototype case is here)
* Stability testing (this will be fun)
* Mass Production
* Test the boards
* SHIP THEM!

Though it is not done yet, I presume the test device will be finished when MWeston gets the clear case, a new populated board and a keymat which should be soon. The mould from what I recall has been started for some parts. CE and FCC testing can happen during mass production.

the biggest potential variable here appears to be stability testing. Everyone cross your fingers and pray!

Its getting closer! Closer!

AFAIK, mass production, testing, and shipping can happen at least somewhat in parallel. This'll help move things along, and makes the list seem a little shorter. Every little bit helps. :D

I already did a stress test by accidentally dropping a Pandora. It survived a fall on to a carpet via my knee rushing to try to break the fall.

We are just waiting for the MP keymats to arrive before we show you a complete Pandora.

That's what they were made for, no?

No surprise in having those crossed, but until
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits, takes 30 - 35 days)
is crossed off as well, I'm still kind of depressed.

craigix said:
I already did a stress test by accidentally dropping a Pandora. It survived a fall on to a carpet via my knee rushing to try to break the fall.

We are just waiting for the MP keymats to arrive before we show you a complete Pandora.
Stress test for you or the Pandora... I'm guessing both. :lol:

Sure, it can co-exist (board production and doing the mold for the case), but it seems like that's the largest chunk of time for any piece of this device. The mass production boards can be shipped as they are validated, but we need to wait that entire time to get the first case. And, this is only happens after MWeston approves the clear CNC case for MP, right? Also, are the 30-35 days to make the mold working days, or calendar days?

I have plenty of things to keep me busy until I get my unit, but my thumbs are getting anxious. :p

craigix said:

Heh, dont know it is a bad thing he felt or a good thing he survived :lol:

looks like everything is falling into place . . .

i also found the jade monkey, in my glove box of all places!

craigix said:
The mould time isn't a big deal as it can co-exist with the PCB mass production.

Could you tell us anything about mould progress?

1. Has the moulding company already started making the moulds?
2. If Y: Which parts of the case?
3. How far in production are those moulds.
4. Can you guess a date we will see a first mass production case?

Ty

Okay, if I got this right:
MWeston he's got the translucent prototype, the MK3 board (final) and is awaiting a keymat. When this piece arrives the Pandora can be built and carefully scanned for all kinds of defects (related to how well the components fit). If everything is OK, then a mass production of all parts except the actual cases can start (the mouldmaking process can begin though).
What's left then is simply build Pandoras and test them (for defects as well as FCC/CE) before shipping. Something I've missed? We're getting so close! :)

We could have started mass production before now but we want this to be as perfect as possible.

We only have one shot at this and now we understand why the GP2X F100 had to 'live' with its faults for so long, correcting them after MP starts is prohibitively expensive.

What you are going to see later today is the new case, the mass production batteries and other updates.

I hope the new keypads will arrive tomorrow, then we can type and use the dpad as if it's a production model.

Exciting times, I'm so sorry it all seems to happen in slow motion, but we are at the mercy of other people right now.

craigix said:
The mould time isn't a big deal as it can co-exist with the PCB mass production.
Still, it indicates that there's at least 30 more days worth of wait

Thanks craigix, that's awesome to hear! With the keypad I'm sure it will look and be wonderful. (Finally no more blindtyping!)
When it comes to the delays, well, this is just my opinion but I think it's shared by a lot of people:
It's really not the delays that are so nagging (you're not to blame for them), it's the withdrawal due to lack of updates with information! (Even small announcements are greatly appreciated)
Kyosys said:
craigix said:
Still, it indicates that there's at least 30 more days worth of wait
Remembered that the case was sent to the wrong guy?
Someone from the OP team said that they were gonna try and bargain for faster mouldcreating because of the wrongly sent case, IIRC. :p

GuSec said:
When it comes to the delays, well, this is just my opinion but I think it's shared by a lot of people:
It's really not the delays that are so nagging (you're not to blame for them), it's the withdrawal due to lack of updates with information! (Even small announcements are greatly appreciated)

+1
after how long everyone has had to wait, only having 30 more days seems exciting to me, not depressing.
and having updates keeps my sanity in check

Great news. Sounds like things are finally starting to all come together and we will actually see the results of the last ~2 years of work.

PokeParadox said:
craigix said:

Stress test for you or the Pandora... I'm guessing both. :lol:
That stress test is for the Pandora.
Craig's stress test started ~2 years ago and will end when everyone has their first batch P.

craigix said:

So worst case scenario at least we can use them for hackey sacks.

Back