Function Of The Pandora/menu Button

Payton64

Still Fresh
Just how exactly does the Pandora/Menu button on the Pandora work? I can't find any reference to how it works. For example, what happens if I was playing a PSX ISO and I wanted to check my mail quick so I press the Pandora Button? Will it take me to a menu of options similar to the PS3 before in-game XMB (quit game, change settings, etc.) or would it take me back to my desktop like hitting the windows key when you're playing a PC game?

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 01:24 PM said:
It will be able to do whatever you map it to do.
o_O I thought you guys were adamant that that button would be only for system stuff, and couldn't be remapped by programs and games. When did this change?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
oh wow. that's really nice to know. thanks craig!

Make me a sammich and then massage my feet. In that specific order, for hopefully obvious reasons.

WizardStan posted on May 27 2009 at 02:13 PM said:
Make me a sammich and then massage my feet. In that specific order, for hopefully obvious reasons.
We can finally have our Knead button!!

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 27 2009 at 01:33 PM said:
o_O I thought you guys were adamant that that button would be only for system stuff, and couldn't be remapped by programs and games. When did this change?
Well, it's mapped in the kernel or something lower than what's readily accessible by software, I assume.

javaJake posted on May 27 2009 at 02:18 PM said:
Well, it's mapped in the kernel or something lower than what's readily accessible by software, I assume.
That's what I thought, too. But Craig JUST said that it maps to whatever you want it to, which is a statement contradictory to that theory.
-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 27 2009 at 02:26 PM said:
javaJake posted on May 27 2009 at 02:18 PM said:
That's what I thought, too. But Craig JUST said that it maps to whatever you want it to, which is a statement contradictory to that theory.
-God Ginrai
I'm not sure what might have been previously stated, but the last few statesments are not mutually-exclusive. You can map key codes in the kernel. You can then also map those key codes to "keys" that low-level software then can use. CraigX is saying that you can use the Pandora button keycode and map it to whatever you want. I would guess that in some previous discussion that is probably would be mapped to a system function by default, which as you may see from this discussion, can be changed. Easily. Often. And on the fly.

surely this means someeone needs to program a crazy sound and light show on the pandora so that it looks like its powering up for some kind of special mode or evolution.

i am picturing some kind of anime style or street fighter special move power up. make it flash all the power, wifi, bluetooth, etc lights as well as some fun audio panning and something snazzy on the desktop.

would be perfect for showing off to friends.

"hey whats that?"
"its my pandora"
"what does it do?"
*push button, sounds lights*
"woah!... wait thats not an explanation!"
"but..." *push button again*

God Ginrai posted on May 27 2009 at 06:33 PM said:
It didn't. If your running a Window manager that sniffs the Pandora key, then you can't really use it in any other application, as it would cause conflicting results. However, if your Window manager doesn't sniff the keys, then you can get them to do whatever they are programmed for, as it's just another scan code which has no character value.

Squidge posted on May 27 2009 at 02:49 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 27 2009 at 06:33 PM said:
It didn't. If your running a Window manager that sniffs the Pandora key, then you can't really use it in any other application, as it would cause conflicting results. However, if your Window manager doesn't sniff the keys, then you can get them to do whatever they are programmed for, as it's just another scan code which has no character value.
Ah, k.
-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 27 2009 at 07:15 PM said:
WizardStan posted on May 27 2009 at 02:13 PM said:
We can finally have our Knead button!!
-God Ginrai

excellent! i was really hoping for the Knead button. however, i prefer "dinner" by far.

The thing is with that button and an open source machine means we can't really tell you what it should do, we have our ideas and suggestions, but it's up to you as always.

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 11:17 PM said:
The thing is with that button and an open source machine means we can't really tell you what it should do, we have our ideas and suggestions, but it's up to you as always.
That pretty much goes without saying. I believe the question really meant "what is the Pandora button going to do for the average person that doesn't feel like tweaking every little thing?"

Back