Gallium 3d Now Has Es State Trackers

Pickle posted on May 17 2009 at 11:59 PM) [URL="http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI3Mw said:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news...m&px=NzI3Mw[/URL]

Basically as I understand it you can use gallium3d once you have a lower level driver, (although I find unlikely we would see in the near future"]
I thought i might start a discussion on the pros/cons of gallium3d and what effect it could have for the pandora.
Doesn't this only mean that we won't need an ES emulator on a PC? I don't really see any other advantages besides that, mainly since the SGX isn't Gallium compatible... (otherwise we could have OGL2.0 on the Pandora or anything else that's Gallium compatible)

Simple diagram of the Gallium architecture:

CODE
|--------------------------------------------------------|
State tracker | OGL2.0/3.0 | >OGLES2.0 (NEW)< | DX9/10 |
| Gallium driver |
Hardware | Intel GMA | Other gallium compatible devices |

As long as the SGX isn't Gallium compatible (aka is in the last row) nothing exciting will happen.

(to clarify: "Gallium compatible" meaning that there's a gallium driver for it available)

Last edited by a moderator:
@dlflemstr maciek's libSGX + galluim3d = you do the math :)

Sorry pickle but it might makle nanoGL obsolete :)

Of course this is long term as maciek has said... gallium3d will probably be quite stable with lots of state trackers by then and in theory all that would be needed to do is interface gallium3d to libSGX if as I hope he is able to sucessfully reverse engineer enough of the HW to get it working

dflemstr posted on May 18 2009 at 12:13 AM) [quote="Pickle posted on May 17 2009 at 11:59 PM) [URL="http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI3Mw said:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news...m&px=NzI3Mw[/URL]

Basically as I understand it you can use gallium3d once you have a lower level driver, (although I find unlikely we would see in the near future"]
I thought i might start a discussion on the pros/cons of gallium3d and what effect it could have for the pandora.
Doesn't this only mean that we won't need an ES emulator on a PC? I don't really see any other advantages besides that, mainly since the SGX isn't Gallium compatible... (otherwise we could have OGL2.0 on the Pandora or anything else that's Gallium compatible)

Simple diagram of the Gallium architecture:

CODE
State tracker | OGL2.0/3.0 | >OGLES2.0 (NEW"]< | DX9/10 |
| Gallium driver |
Hardware | Intel GMA | Other gallium compatible devices |
|--------------------------------------------------------|[/quote]As long as the SGX isn't Gallium compatible (aka is in the last row) nothing exciting will happen.

(to clarify: "Gallium compatible" meaning that there's a gallium driver for it available)

dflemstr is right.

are you guys saying SGX isnt compatible or we dont have the gallium driver layer? I was also thinking we just didnt have the gallium driver layer.

Pickle posted on May 18 2009 at 02:22 PM said:
are you guys saying SGX isnt compatible or we dont have the gallium driver layer? I was also thinking we just didnt have the gallium driver layer.
Pretty much anything is "Gallium compatible" since the machine falls back on software rendering if some feature required by Gallium isn't provided.

dflemstr posted on May 18 2009 at 08:27 AM said:
Pretty much anything is "Gallium compatible" since the machine falls back on software rendering if some feature required by Gallium isn't provided.
So really we can call this a mesa replacement

Pickle posted on May 18 2009 at 08:35 PM said:
Bingo!
Gallium is so much more, however... Anyone on a platform that's Gallium compatible? AKA something like the i915?
I'm stuck on a nVidia card :(

dflemstr posted on May 18 2009 at 02:42 PM said:
Pickle posted on May 18 2009 at 08:35 PM said:
Bingo!
Gallium is so much more, however... Anyone on a platform that's Gallium compatible? AKA something like the i915?
I'm stuck on a nVidia card :(
I thought i read that open source nvidia drive nouveau was being reworked to use gallium3d.
It would be neat though if we ever see this on the pandora

Back