Game type hybrids

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Hello everybody,

Like it is in music it also is in the games business some really great ideas (and some really bad ones) might come by combining 2 genres. Or by dismantling a genre and taking a specific part and creating a stand alone of that feature.

What type of mixing and matching would you like to see in games.

Metroidvania & Diablo. The drop system and random maps of Diablo, along with the platform type of Castlevania sotn. :)

Zombie shooter / combat racing.

There would be an AI system similar to Left 4 Dead, but it would spawn cars instead of zombies. And you would race each other instead of cooperating. No idea if it would be fun, but I want to see it happen.

rhythm action dating sim :D
There is one! Princess Debut! However, I'd rather see one with a Grease-theme. Imagine, playing John Travolta, trying to impress girls, all in the comfort of your home using a dance mat.

Edit:

Oh, how could I forget, there is also Duel Love, which is a visual novel/rhythm game/dating sim where you play a girl who massage the guys from the boxing club ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
rhythm action dating sim :D
There is one! Princess Debut! However, I'd rather see one with a Grease-theme. Imagine, playing John Travolta, trying to impress girls, all in the comfort of your home using a dance mat.

that's not a game, it's on the ds :p though elite beat agents is a ds game, and that's not too bad, apart from only being playable on a teensy screen etc

Motorcycle racing, a la Road Rash, mixed with Roller Derby. Don't know if it would work, but it sounds fun.

A 3D platformer.

Oh wait, too late...

Erm, puzzle platformer!

No no, that couldn't work...

I got it! A 3D sandbox puzzle platformer!

Well, Sandbox+anything can be awesome, maybe adding sandbox... Myst? Some sort of adventure game? IDK possibilities are too endless.

Zombie shooter / combat racing.

There would be an AI system similar to Left 4 Dead, but it would spawn cars instead of zombies. And you would race each other instead of cooperating. No idea if it would be fun, but I want to see it happen.
its called Carmageddon, and that is my answer, i dont want a new genre, i just want a new Carmageddon game....like now...please? anybody? DAMNIT WHERE ARE THE CARMAGEDDON GAMES!!!!???

A survival horror mixed with Buzz: music quiz. You answer questions to kill monsters, similar to typing of the dead.

I think you might have missed a little sarcasm there... I'm a big fan of Braid, though I must check out Klonoa, sounds interesting :D
Indeed I did. My sarcasm-detector occasionally goes on the fritz! :lol: My apologies. Do check those two out, though, if you can find them - they are superb.

Brilliant. How'd I miss that? I played Portal! OK, a puzzle third person shooter.

Back