Release Game & Watch Simulators 0.3

Hitnrun

gw-0.1.png

This is a generic engine for simulation of Game & Watch-like games, created by Hitnrun, starting with ports of the Madrigal Game & Watch Simulators (http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/), with permission. It is designed to run anywhere SDL is available, with emphasis in handheld machines.

As for the Madrigal simulators, the simulation is aimed to be as close as possible to the real machine, simulating on-off, ACL mode, time modes, etc. Alarm and chrono modes only display default data, as there is not enough motivation for its simulation. Currently missing but in the TODO list is hiscore keeping.

Currently 6 games from VTECH are simulated: MONKEY, PIRATE, DEFENDO, CONDOR, PANCAKE and ROLLER COASTER.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,3,169

wow! i loved that kind of games. i think i need a port for the wiz :D

Sorry for asking a slightly off topic question, but is there an emulator like this for those 9999 in 1 lcd brick games? That would be cool too :)

sold said:
Sorry for asking a slightly off topic question, but is there an emulator like this for those 9999 in 1 lcd brick games? That would be cool too :)
+1
I loved those things, while my friends were all complaining about not having games on the go I was playing the super awesom Tanks game :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find more simulations and ports and things of G&W style games here:

http://www.handheld.remakes.org/results.php

What a great simulator, thanks. will there be anymore on the way?, the Pandora seems like the ideal place for these simulators.

mvickers03 said:
Thanks for this.. is there a Zelda game and watch simulator. I used to have that as a kid :)

i like the legend of zelda game and watch, i would like to see that simulated :)

zelda.jpg

mrdremel said:
Do these games from that Handheld Remakes site also work in this Game & Watch Simulator?

No, as the same imply, this is a "simulator", not an "emulator", the games have to be reprogramed to be playable.

great work but the screen is tiny, there's no chance to have and upscale?

@tony11, I also have the zelda game and watch in the original box :) I've had it since i was small. I also had Donkey Kong, the orange dual screen one, but it got stolen from my bag in primary school. And is that pac land i see there on the right? I have that one too and a bunch of others all in working condition. I would love to see all those old games emulated or simulated on the pandora, it would be totally awesome :)

sold said:
@tony11, I also have the zelda game and watch in the original box :) I've had it since i was small. I also had Donkey Kong, the orange dual screen one, but it got stolen from my bag in primary school. And is that pac land i see there on the right? I have that one too and a bunch of others all in working condition. I would love to see all those old games emulated or simulated on the pandora, it would be totally awesome :)

My Zelda came from ebay, but i do have a donkey kong from "back in the day" as well as a mickey a donald(with back missing) i have a few game and watch games that are not in the photo i have a boxed donkey kong 2 in my attic which i need to get out and add to my photo also i bought recently a donkey 3 vs as well as donkey kong hockey. That is a pac land not a bad game. Do you remember the Q&Q games? like circus and time warp? i know that there is a windows port of the q&q games, but no other. On http://www.madrigaldesign.it they have a few game and watch games ported to gp2x, would it be possible to port them ones to the pandora?

tony11@hotmail.com said:
i know that there is a windows port of the q&q games, but no other. On http://www.madrigaldesign.it they have a few game and watch games ported to gp2x, would it be possible to port them ones to the pandora?
The madrigal simulators are the base for my game, this is nearly a "port" of the madrigal engines. This guy is crazy, he made a LOT of simulators, but only the ones he released a source code for I can
port "easily". And I originally created this for the gp2x.
He just released 2 more games source codes, I'll be looking at it when I have a little more time.
Also on the SVN there is a half-started Donkey Kong engine, but it is dual screen and didn't fit on the gp2x screen, so I left it aside, who knows now that if fits on the Pandora...

EvilDragon said:
Pretty nice port, but needs some scaling. It's so smaaaall :)

Yes it was made for the gp2x resolution, guess I need to do some advancements to the engine!

Hitnrun said:
Yes it was made for the gp2x resolution, guess I need to do some advancements to the engine!

There is nothing more to do than a call to SDL_SoftStretch between your original SDL_Surface and the SDL_Surface of the screen.
(That's what i've done in several ports, when there is no speed limitation). (I can do it if you send me the code)

tony11@hotmail.com said:
mvickers03 said:
Thanks for this.. is there a Zelda game and watch simulator. I used to have that as a kid :)

i like the legend of zelda game and watch, i would like to see that simulated :)

zelda.jpg

Nice collection Tony! is that a Super Mario watch!!! I used to have one of those too! I wonder where they went. I was to young to worry about actually collecting them or thinking of a day when I would want to collect.

The only ones I have left are the original Mario brothers game and watch from 1983 and Donkey Kong 2 both have there serial numbers removed but there in very good condition.

As for Zelda G&W emulation I don't think it will happen here as I can't find one for the PC either. I would love to be proved wrong though

zx-81 said:
Hitnrun said:

There is nothing more to do than a call to SDL_SoftStretch between your original SDL_Surface and the SDL_Surface of the screen.
(That's what i've done in several ports, when there is no speed limitation). (I can do it if you send me the code)

Hmm but I would have to do this to each and every surface then? Each game sprite is a different SDL surface, that is exactly positioned by pixel on the screen.

If you want to give a shot, the source is at sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gameandwatch/).

mvickers03 said:
tony11@hotmail.com said:
mvickers03 said:

zelda.jpg

Nice collection Tony! is that a Super Mario watch!!! I used to have one of those too! I wonder where they went. I was to young to worry about actually collecting them or thinking of a day when I would want to collect.

The only ones I have left are the original Mario brothers game and watch from 1983 and Donkey Kong 2 both have there serial numbers removed but there in very good condition.

As for Zelda G&W emulation I don't think it will happen here as I can't find one for the PC either. I would love to be proved wrong though

Thanks McVickers, no that is a Donkey Kong watch, but the Super Mario watch is on the list of games to get as i to had that watch when i was younger.

Which Mario brothers do you have? the widescreen mario or was it the purple multiscreen? and Donkey Kong 2 what a great game, i remember travelling right up from kent, all the way to Wales on a coach and just playing nothing but Donkey Kong 2.

I have not seen Zelda, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, when i get some free time(sometime this week) i will email that guy on the Madrigal's handheld site and offer to provide the scans for Zelda if he was interested in making a simulator for it.

Edit: I still have a couple of game and watch games i cannot find but i know they are somewhere in my loft one of them is mini munchman(i found the box), and the other is the multiscreen mario bros. I also just emailed the guy from Madrigal.

Back