Gamepark Holdings And Linux

Cyclops

I want Gamepark Holdings source code. I want to get it with no fuss. I don't want to make a big deal. I don't want wild accusations, and finger pointing, threats. Blame, Speculation, and I want it now.

1) Is anybody doing anything currently?

2) What can I do?

Can't really do much at this point. My bet is that we won't even have a chance of getting anything before the offical release.

GPH are working overnight to fix all the bugs, so I doubt they're going to be too concerned with this right now. My advice is to wait a while until things have calmed down, then get on their case ;)

Surely thats a reason to release the source, not for them not releasing it.

I’m not cool with it either – and I agree it’s stupid for them not to release their code, BUT really you’ve got to let it go for now. Like I’ve said before, I’ll give them till January to clean up their flagrant violation of the GPL. My guess is that currently the kernel has their code interspaced in it (and thus their code should be come GPL’d) and they’ll have to sort it all out and make sure that all their stuff is loaded via kernel modules before they release anything. So give them till the official launch to clean up their mess.

why would I want their work in binary modules, why should I care, why do you. Last thing I want is a binary module(million eyes and that rubbish), even more of a reason not to wait. The problems are currently in the binary modules. I can currently download the kernel its at kernel.org.

i would have also the firmware source, i want to understand what they do when we click on usb link (load a module? run abinary? )
i would like also to have some log (something that say to me which hardware si recognized)
i don't understand why we have to wait, they can give us the source even if is bad written, no reason to keep away us from that, aslo because a lot of people want to help in bugfixing and feature enhancment.
but we will wait, me and my 579" unit :)

That's my point thou - of course you don't *want* binary only kernel modules but in order for them to keep their “IP” closed source that’s what they have to do. So I bet right now their in the process of making sure that none of their code is actually in the kernel. I really can’t think of another good reason as why it would take them so long to release the code otherwise.

I want Gamepark Holdings source code. I want to get it with no fuss. I don't want to make a big deal. I don't want wild accusations, and finger pointing, threats. Blame, Speculation, and I want it now.

1) Is anybody doing anything currently?
Yes. People like DJWillis have been discussing things with GPH and others for a long time now (that's how the magiceyes source was released).
2) What can I do?
Nothing. Everyone should just remain calm and wait and see what happens. Kicking up a fuss will just ruin any hard work done with GPH so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing. Everyone should just remain calm and wait and see what happens. Kicking up a fuss will just ruin any hard work done with GPH so far.

I am calm, but when I read the responce from Anna, and it said later and IP. My brain reads "never" and binary modules, but you are right it needs delicate handling, but I have concerns that the people who are most equipped here to do the negotiation have signed NDA. I can read DRM and as much as It doesn't scare me I don't want it on any device I have

Don't know if anyone has actually signed an NDA (that was mainly something people decided to make up a while ago when they were bored and speculating), but that wouldn't affect a kernel source release anyway. Oh, and you do realise the gp32 also had DRM, and the gp2x DRM will be used in the same way (ie. to protect games, nothing to do with music or movies).

Cyclops: There is also a possibility that GPH can't release the portions of the source you want.

DRM will definitely be binary only.
SDIO at last check is also binary only.

So unless something is done to start communications with those respective IP holders, we may never see that portion of the source.

Not all is gloom and doom though, kernel compilation will be available eventually. I'm hoping for the source to be released about the time of the official release of the unit.

Just a waiting game :)

The kernel is GPL'd, (well a special version of the GPL to allow binary only modules) so they really have to make the source available upon request. However, I wouldn't get too worked up about it just yet- wait until the official release, then they'll have enough people on their case about it that they'll have to make the source available.

i would have also the firmware source, i want to understand what they do when we click on usb link (load a module? run abinary? )

Thats just the UI, I don't see any real reason not to release the source. And there WILL be better ones down the road.

My interest as you can see is clearly not commercial gaming, (unless someone sends me an ASR translation patch). I don't care how its used. I don't want "secrets" on my machine. I don't particularly care why they have the delay. I want a I/we are negotiating with GPH. I am phoning them hourly, or give me your e-mail and I'll send you the source.

I read an interview with Eben Moglen, and he's GPL(no binary) is they choose to enforce it, and permissable and non-permissable stuff. The binary stuff is what they let people get away with. Its a mess basically, but picking a simple example what if I wanted to use the modules in 2.6 instead of those from 2.4, for say power management.

Why wait till the offical release, maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe I'm not sat here with 2 GP2X.

sdio is as i know only supported by hardware, i dont think there is any sdio code in the kernel or any other software by gph

linux to use SDIO as a wifi (or anything else) must know how to manage (what hardware system call it have to do).
So, a module or something like that must be on gp2x, because otherwise the kernel don't know how to create the wifi0 device (or anything else), where it have to write and read an so on.

So DRM and SDIO must have a module (and i agree that will be released as binary module).

But more.. someone know if clicking on UI USB we launch a binary or load a module or do some hardware thing??

10x

why would I want their work in binary modules, why should I care, why do you. Last thing I want is a binary module(million eyes and that rubbish), even more of a reason not to wait. The problems are currently in the binary modules. I can currently download the kernel its at kernel.org.
I would much rather have a binary module that gives us SDIO, and therefore SDIO WiFi, than a 100% open source kernel.

I'm not a purist. I just want the most from the device and if that means binary modules due to SD consortium proprietary licensing stuff, so be it.

I'm neither a purist or not a purist. Is anyone going to stick there hand in the air, and go its me I'm doing that. I'm damn sure SDIO will happen a lot faster with the kernel available than not.

I'm with MiniMoose on this. I think about this from the perspective of the Nvidia kernel module – I'd much rather have a nice working module that's well supported, then a company not provide any support at since they're worried about their IP.

I don't Nvidia, I don't buy Ati. Its not particularly a good analogy. Its not that kind of discussion. Its about it should be released now. With buggy and they are closed source drivers it might as well be windows(read worse than). Linux might have lots of weakness, but buggy closed source modules are not one of them. Unlike Nvidia they do not have follow Linux, they do now have to keep up to date, they do not have the manpower.

The bottom line is again anybody get anything out of them, anyone trying.

Back