Gamepark Vm-100 - The "other" Gp2X Wiz :o)

andymanone

Website
korg.radias.de
Hi folks,

like a couple of days in the german forum posted before,
I would like to introduce you my new VM-100 from Gampepark.
It´s based on the (nearly) same hardware, like the GP2x WIZ, but the focus stands more
on the Vocamaster issue with an integrated Mediaplayer, Ebook-Reader and more...

The opinions about the VM-100 differ very much, but i must say i like this little machine ;)
I guess, the my following pictures and the little videos about, don´t reflect the true impression
about it.
But maybe like it one or the other anyway ;)
[cut]

Unpacking of the VM-100:
DSCN6250.jpg

DSCN6256.jpg

DSCN6257.jpg

DSCN6260.jpg

DSCN6262.jpg

DSCN6263.jpg

The manual :
DSCN6264.jpg

Headphones:
DSCN6265.jpg

USB-cable - the same like we know from the WIZ :) :
DSCN6267.jpg

DSCN6268.jpg

.. an additional extra Power supply...
DSCN6271.jpg

DSCN6272.jpg

A Screenprotector and a cleaning cloth ;)
DSCN6275.jpg

...and also a Siliconcase is included ;)
DSCN6330.jpg

And now Ladies and Gentlemen: here comes the VM-100 :D !!!:
DSCN6276.jpg

DSCN6277.jpg

DSCN6278.jpg

DSCN6279.jpg

on the right side you can see the plastic cover used for the SD-Slot and the external Connector
DSCN6281.jpg

Here you can see:: the Wiz wellknown On/Off/Hold switch, but a new feature:
manual Volume slider :love: !!!

DSCN6282.jpg

DSCN6283.jpg

...the VM-100 includes a Touchpen (but in a square design)
DSCN6284.jpg

And the speakers are smartly hidden on the backside of the VM-100 (here you can see it -> the narrow slits centered on the left and right)
DSCN6285.jpg

..a 3,5mm Stereo-jack
DSCN6286.jpg

DSCN6288.jpg

Open cover for SD-Slot and the ext. Connector
DSCN6295.jpg

The Pen:
DSCN6301.jpg

The VM-100 Bootscreen (starts with the GPH LOGO ;) )
DSCN6303.jpg

DSCN6304.jpg

DSCN6305.jpg

..und a couple of Menuscreens...
DSCN6314.jpg

DSCN6316.jpg

DSCN6318.jpg

DSCN6319.jpg

DSCN6321.jpg

DSCN6324.jpg

DSCN6305.jpg

Last but not least, two little Videos about the VM-100:

1. Unpacking the VM-100
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryi38MxQJOg[/youtube]

2. VM-100 in action:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEev9Wb7JEI[/youtube]

The VM-100 leaves a very high quality, classy impression.
By removing to control the cross and shoulder button,
it looks more like a noble multimedia player.
But I think this one through the use of USB Features certainly could adapt appropriate external controller.
As for the 100% software compatibility with the GP2X WIZ i can not say anything,
which I will try in the next few days and then report...

I hope you enjoy it.

Gtx,
andY
[/cut]

Hm, looks very interesting. If it's (nearly) the same hardware, should be somewhat compatible with the Wiz. Right now the Wiz lacks a normal multimedia player. I wonder if this has the same player(s) ported over or has GPH actually tried to do something well this time?

Excellent, comprehensive rundown Andy

Wonder if GPH are going to use a similar case/form factor for their next gaming handheld

GPH has really improved their design skills. Both the Wiz and VM-100 look gorgeous. Not that I'd be interested in any way in this product, but I hope it finds it's niche, that'll help us get our Wiz^2 some day.

Looks to be an interesting media player.

Is there a release date or it's already on sale? And the price is?

Help me out here, because I'm finding it hard to imagine why anyone would want to buy one over the Wiz, save for its marketed purpose of a Korean to English teaching aid. What does the media player do that Wiz's doesn't? It won't have better hardware-level support since it's the same chipset, and GPH would be a little crazy to not work any media player software improvements back into the Wiz.

I find the notion of wanting to hook up external controls to this in order to turn it into a game player especially bizarre.

chaos engineer said:
I do not agree. The only good design was the GP32. GP2X, WIZ and VM-100 are ugly.

I completely disagree. Looks wise, I think the gp2x is very good. The 2 main things that go against it are the joycap thing and the battery compartment design (not using springs).

Exophase said:
Help me out here, because I'm finding it hard to imagine why anyone would want to buy one over the Wiz, save for its marketed purpose of a Korean to English teaching aid. What does the media player do that Wiz's doesn't? It won't have better hardware-level support since it's the same chipset, and GPH would be a little crazy to not work any media player software improvements back into the Wiz.

I find the notion of wanting to hook up external controls to this in order to turn it into a game player especially bizarre.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The idea of a separate screen and controller for a portable hand held game system is beyond stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a PMP with added functionalities, not a PMP plus gaming device in one like the GP2X Wiz. If you look at the menu, there isn't even an icon for games. So my best guess is that it is not a gaming device. That's why they used the name Voca Master as well. The GP2X Voca Master (F-300) was somewhat an experiment which eventually resulted in this little device.

This is without a doubt no follow-up to the GP2X Wiz.

Doesn't mean I don't like it though. I think it looks very clean and stylish. But if the Wiz is in the same price range than I don't see why I should pick the Voca Master instead of the Wiz (apart from the larger screen).

Well, at least this should put down our fears about GP rushing a system out too soon and making the Wiz obsolete. This VM is for a completely different audience and shouldn't bring any competition to the Wiz.

Suddenly I get a feeling GPHs Wiz 'follow up' might be an iPhone clone.

'Just use the screen to control the game'. I can imagine how they would think that would make sense because they will be aware of the apparent gaming success of the iPhone.

Back