Games For 3+ Players That You Know

joseluisjazz

One of the things I want to do with the Pandora is moving into a friends house, plug it to the TV, connect some random controllers (wii, ps3, xbox...), and use it as a console. That's what I've been learning how to configure on my linux desktop computer these days.

But, what happens when we are 3, 4 or more people? Are there any good games that can be played by 3+ people on the same computer, and available on the Pandora? Could be linux games, ps1, snes, amiga, msdos, spectrum...

Apart from turn based games, that of course will work with many more players (wesnoth, freeciv, freecol, etc...), I'm interested in real-time games. By now I've only have 2 in my list: Jump&bump & Mr. Boom (via dosbox).

Even more: I'm thinking since the Pandora is able to send different signals to the screen and to the TV, that could be another interesting possibility for some multiplayer games, but I'm not sure yet if that would work for 3+ people playing a game that needs a separate display for each player, if maybe splitting the display... but again we don't have too much resolution starting with.

Games and ideas are most welcome.

@Username well, yes. But it doesn't have anything special, I mean, it's just a shooter with a normal GUI. Needs a separate view for each player. Maybe 3 could play, 1 in the Panda and 2 in a split TV view.

What I'd love to know is if there is any... dunno, platform game, or arcade or something, where all the players share the same view while they move in the game. Like Metal Slug, for example, but for more than 2 players...

The first game that springs to mind here is anything from the Bomberman series, on just about any platform you can imagine, or a clone of it such as SDL_Bomber. :lol: Worms, which was ported to various platforms aside from its original Amiga release, is another (note that Team17 has allowed fan-site Dream17 to distribute their old Amiga releases, which is handy :p).

Racing-wise, SuperTuxKart supports up to four players, and perhaps if N64 emulation happens then Mario Kart 64 might also be worth a look.

I don't know if SmashGP supports multiple players (the only screenshot I was able to find during a brief search just now showed this option crossed out on the options screen), but if it does, there's another one. :p

Last of all, Bub'n'Bros (a.k.a. Bub & Bob Brothers) is a clone of Bubble Bobble which supports up to ten players.

I know there are plenty more - I just can't seem to think of any right now. I hope this is useful. :) (I'm planning on doing something similar with my Pandora, so I'll be interested in seeing what else gets suggested.)

Any arcade beat'em up that's 3+ players should work, like Dungeons and Dragons shadows over mystara

Tmht.png

speaking of supertuxkart, we have recently recieved a patch that allows to play with up to 8 players on 2 seperate displays. well, 4 players on the pandora's screen is probably impossible, but 2 might work. That's giving you 6 players with a single pandora. Don't take this as a guarantee as we are not sure about the use of such a patch and if we actually want to integrate and support it.

Initial support for network gaming was added, but we need some more testers to make it actually usable and stable. feel free to test and send reports to make 8-player gaming feasible with 2 pandoras and 2 tvs :)

BTW: if you want to try the new 0.6 release from 2 days ago, just visit supertuxkart.sourceforge.net. Here is a gameplay-video for those who are interested: http://www.vimeo.com/2891554

Oh, and for those talking about wormux: hedgewars, my favorite worms-clone!

conso said:
Here is a gameplay-video for those who are interested: http://www.vimeo.com/2891554

I am very interested, so thanks for that. :) (I've never played SuperTuxKart, and right now I'm inclined to wait for a Pandora port before I do so, if one will be happening. :p)

Hedgewars looks very nice these days - it's a far cry from when I first tried it a year ago! :eek:

Also, I forgot a game earlier: Bubble Symphony. :D I'm not sure how I forgot it, as I love it. Anyway, it supports up to four players at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we get N64 emulation:
Goldeneye
Bomberman 64
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros.
Winback: Covert Operations
Mario Party Games

-God Ginrai

Prometheus said:
conso said:
Here is a gameplay-video for those who are interested: http://www.vimeo.com/2891554

I am very interested, so thanks for that. :) (I've never played SuperTuxKart, and right now I'm inclined to wait for a Pandora port before I do so, if one will be happening. :p)

Hedgewars looks very nice these days - it's a far cry from when I first tried it a year ago! :eek:

Also, I forgot a game earlier: Bubble Symphony. :D I'm not sure how I forgot it, as I love it. Anyway, it supports up to four players at once.

I'll definatly give a port of stk a try as soon as we have the first alpha based on irrlicht. Probably in 3 months or so. However, you can be sure some mayor changes will have happened till then, so feel free to play STK on your PC right now ;)

About hedgewars: yes, it really improves fast while wormux somewhat stagnates in it's weakest aspects for years. Still no good AI, pretty lame physics and forget internet-gaming behind nat (though it's good internet-gaming is possible at least).

conso said:
Prometheus said:
conso said:

I'll definatly give a port of stk a try as soon as we have the first alpha based on irrlicht. Probably in 3 months or so. However, you can be sure some mayor changes will have happened till then, so feel free to play STK on your PC right now ;)

About hedgewars: yes, it really improves fast while wormux somewhat stagnates in it's weakest aspects for years. Still no good AI, pretty lame physics and forget internet-gaming behind nat (though it's good internet-gaming is possible at least).

Dying to see STK using the irrlicht engine myself, but I thought it was further away than 3 months.

What happened to using the Big Buck Bunny characters in the game, is this still planned? IMO it would be a damn good match up :)

PokeParadox said:
PandoraPanic! ?
It's a possibility, I could add a "Party Mode" where you take turns playing minigames (Markoez suggested the idea to me.), it's something to think about.
If you build it, they will come ;)
Loving the Panic project from what I've seen so far Poke. Something else to look forward to :D

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Dying to see STK using the irrlicht engine myself, but I thought it was further away than 3 months.

What happened to using the Big Buck Bunny characters in the game, is this still planned? IMO it would be a damn good match up :)
A stable release is probably further away then 3 months. I'm talking of a first alpha, similar to a tech-demo.

About the BBB-characters: yes, this is still planed. However, because of recent changes to the physics, most of the karts we made have gone useless and we have to start from beginning. The first remade kart is my frankiekart that will be available in a general add-on package i still prepare. Here are some snapshots, notice that this pictures are a little outdated and I improved the front, especially the lights in the recent version.

indexsk2.jpg
indexik2.jpg

good, good, there are some pretty things there.

SuperTuxKart, HedgeWars, Bubble Symphony, and maybe openlierox... and bubble & bomber clones...
Oh, and that Pandora Panic - Party Mode sounds like a wonderful idea.

@Conso I don't understand how 6 ppl could play in a single pandora having 2 ppl per screen, by using that STK patch you talk about. Where is the 3rd screen coming from? :p

conso said:
A stable release is probably further away then 3 months. I'm talking of a first alpha, similar to a tech-demo.

About the BBB-characters: yes, this is still planed. However, because of recent changes to the physics, most of the karts we made have gone useless and we have to start from beginning. The first remade kart is my frankiekart that will be available in a general add-on package i still prepare. Here are some snapshots, notice that this pictures are a little outdated and I improved the front, especially the lights in the recent version.
ah, I tend to wait until the Beta versions before I test stuff out. Unfortunately I'm just not quite knowledgeable enough for the Alpha's.

Frankie's looking great already and I can't wait to see the rest of the team competed. Good luck :D

Fantastic topic! I bring my huge laptop everywhere exactly for this purpose.

Lets see...
Liquid War! - Six Players (native port hopefully, since there already was one for the gp2x)

Bomberman - 4-10 Players (Depends on version, eg. Mega, Super I/II/III, Saturn, etc.)

Micro Machines - Up to 8 Players (SNES/Megadrive versions had a mode in which you could have two players play on one gamepad)

Secret of Mana - 3 Players once you have that many party members (I don't really get multiplayer RPGs, but it's an option, at least. SNES game, btw.)

Advanced Wars - 4 Players (GBA. Turn based, too, so you don't need extra controllers, i.e., "hotseat" mode.)

Any of the Madden NFL games that Pandora can emulate - # of players depends on the game.

WWF Raw - 4(?) Players (SNES. I've played this once with just one other person, and it was hilarious. I mean, it was pretty dumb. However, that stupidity made it somewhat fun.)

RC Pro AM II - 4 Players (This is a fantastic NES title from Rare, the makers of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. It's an isometric-view remote-control car racing game including upgrade purchases in between rounds.)

Also, keep in mind that there are a ton of 3+ player arcade games that will easily be emulatable on the Pandora as well. If we ever see an emulator for a system that had four controller ports by default (rather than through a multitap, as all of the above were), that would bring in a huge rush of 4 player games (such as those for the n64).

Back