"Games that made you buy the console" thread

sirthunder516

Still Fresh
Website
retronuggetdev.com
Discussion about games that made you buy the console.

I'll start:

In 2005, I bought a Nintendo DS just for Super Mario 64DS. It was worth it. SM64DS is pretty near the original, but with lots of extra goodies (and before the Pandora, it was the only way I could have SM64 in my pocket).

Wonderboy on the SMS - we got so ripped off here, in the west we got some toned down version of the arcade game - but the cartridge contained a much more accurate conversion of the arcade if it was set to Jap mode! Absolutely weird. Had to hit the console in just the right place to make it reset as 'Super Wonderboy'.

Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast.

Left4Dead on the 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
NES, Had to say it was for Super Mario and Duck Hunt.

SNES, I bought this late.. Super Metroid.

Genesis: Streets of Rage 2.

Playstation 1: hmm had money to spend.. never really played it much.

N64: Mario 64, 007 Goldeneye

Gamecube: Metriod Prime , although I did enjoy a ton of other games on that system.

Sega Dreamcast: Soul Calibur..

Xbox: Knights of the Old Republic, bought it used off a friend, not the best purchase as the XBox 360 came out about a year later..

Wii: Zelda Twilight Princess .. although Drunken Bowling with my 160" screen, with my DLP projector was kind of a draw for a while..

Xbox360: Mass Effect.. damn you saying it was Xbox 360 exclusive and then releasing a PC version later!!!

PS3: well all my friend switched over.. Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the initial draw..

ZX Spectrum - Psion Flight Simulation / Imagine Arcadia

486 PC - Doom

Playstation - Ridge Racer (NTSC)

PS2 - GTA Vice City

The only non-retro consoles I personally bought were a Gamecube and a Nintendo DS. The Gamecube was originally bought for Super Mario Sunshine, the DS for Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. I don't play either of these any more, the former because it's only fun the first time, and the latter because I lost it.

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure, 'nuff sed

Also brought an N64 purely for Mario 64, my favorite 3D Mario by far.

And a Saturn for Sega Rally (brought it with the wheel, a sound investment).

I mostly buy consoles when proper games are coming out, so I bought MOST consoles because of certain games.

For the N64, it was Ocarina of Time. SNES for A Link to the Past and Super Mario World.

Genesis for Sonic the Hedgehog.

PSX for a whole lot of RPGs, PS2 for Final Fantasy X (which wasn't that good, but thank god a lot of good RPGs followed).

XBox 360 for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Wii for Twilight Princess.

GameCube for Wind Waker.

Now PS3 for the latest Tales-Installment.

Basically, I have two requisites to buy a console:

1. I have to get it for less than 200 EUR

2. There's an RPG I want to play on it.

I'm not in a hurry, as I have tons of other RPGs to play on other systems, so as soon as these two requisites are being met, I buy the console :)

The only exception are consoles like the GP32 or similar.

I pay more than 200 EUR because I want to support these small companies :)

Amiga 500 because of shadow of the beast 2

Gba for final fight

I got an xbox for halo what a game that was

ZX Spectrum - Manic Miner & Jetpac

Commodore 64 - Ghostbusters

Amiga 500 because of Fresh House playing on Soundtracker (not a game but impressed me enough to make me sell my Commodore 64 & Spectrum to get one)

PC Engine GT - Nemesis & R-type

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi & Virtua Tennis

PC - Quake & Diablo

Playstation - Ridge Racer

Playstation 2 - One of the Tekkens & Devil May Cry

GBA - Super Mario

DS - Elite Beat Agents

Pandora - Any Emulator

360 - Forza 3

Wii - Wii Sports

I just read something about Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to the Vita, that with WipEout 2048 has me sold on the Vita now so I'll be getting one of those soon, I'm not much of a PC gamer otherwise I'd just get the PC version on release.

That reminds me, now I'm here in the states I might get back on PSO on the DreamCast :) still has private servers going.

I've seen some Vitas coming down in price by quite a bit, and since I'm now living in the US they are cheaper than back in the UK, I'm happy buying second hand too so when one comes up on craigslist or something I'll get one.

I can only think of one.

Gameboy - Pokemon

All other consoles I bought only long after they already had a big catalogue of games (or no catalogue at all, as in the case of the Pandora). But Pokemon was being played by most people I knew in school, so I obviously needed to get a Gameboy.

I'm a bit different to most people, in that this has rarely ever been the case with me - usually the game that sells a system to me is announced (or is at the least guaranteed to appear) but is not actually available at launch, so I buy in advance and enjoy what's available, often discovering new things in the process, whilst waiting for it. I'm pretty sure that this would mean that the games concerned don't count in the context of this thread. I can only think of one notable exception to this, so I'll just list that one. :p

It was Donkey Kong Country that sold me on the SNES, after I got to try it out in early 1996. I actually got Donkey Kong Country a couple of days after the system itself - I bought the bundle with Super Mario All-Stars + World, since that's the one that was available at the time, and I also got Donkey Kong Country 2 at the same time. It got me off to a great start with my favourite home-console of all time. Diddy Kong still remains one of my favourite video game characters of all time, too. ;)

Back