Garage Door Art!

Fishbong

man of poor reputation
Website
Visit site
Allright, i have some garage doors to paint. Three of 'em, actually. Now they shouldn't just be in one color, like every boring garage everywhere, but "artistic". Now i thought some retro/colorful/minimalistic theme would be cool, and already bought some colors. I have lots of orange and deep blue plus a bit of red, black and white.
Ok, so i decided one of the doors should be painted with apicture of a car. So i took this image:
6165510492ip3.jpg

and, using my ever mediocre graphic editing skills, created this from it:
hotrodtr2cy3.jpg

Being quite satisfied with that, i cannot think of something for the other two doors. I wanted something a little more flashy, yet as simple as the one above. The two remaining doors are next to each other, i thought maybe i could think of something that is wide enough to stretch over both doors.

Can you help me in finding something cool for the remaining two doors? Just inspirations, preferably with a pic...

I like that picture. Looks like an old Ford, if memory serves correct. They're really nice when done up properly. But that's neither here nor there. I would like that on my garage, though, if I didn't live in an apartment.

Take a picture of the garage with the door open - i.e. with the car and/or junk in it. Then paint the door to appear as if it is always open. Then modify the car to look as if it has been in a collision - dented fender, smashed headlight, registration plate hanging off ... etc.

Squidge said:
Have a look here:

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx...04-7fc9dc91b3ca

Thanks, but i hope that when i´m done my doors will look about 5 times as awesome as any of those on this site. Anyway, i´ll keep it in mind, when have completed the painting, i´ll register there just to show them the errors of their ways.

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
Take a picture of the garage with the door open - i.e. with the car and/or junk in it. Then paint the door to appear as if it is always open. Then modify the car to look as if it has been in a collision - dented fender, smashed headlight, registration plate hanging off ... etc.
Nice idea, but there´s far too much stuff in the garage. I´d be painting for 4 days at least, even if i ignore the details. I´m no good at painting, so the Ford i posted above is about as detailed as i can go.

I´m now almost done with preparing the doors to be painted (took the old paint off, cleaned the metal, primed it) and now i don´t have much time to think of something. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong said:
Nice idea, but there´s far too much stuff in the garage.
Go the other way then. Paint it as spotlessly clean with a sparkling Rolls or a Bugatti Veyron parked in it.

Get an overhead projector and get your design photocopied onto a piece of clear cellophane. project it onto the door and trace the outline. You would be suprised how detailed a design you could superimpose onto the garage door. I used to be a signwriter. :)

Personally I like the open door idea, maybe have an x-wing parked in your garage or something.

Iorgy77 said:
Get an overhead projector and get your design photocopied onto a piece of clear cellophane. project it onto the door and trace the outline. You would be suprised how detailed a design you could superimpose onto the garage door. I used to be a signwriter. :)

Personally I like the open door idea, maybe have an x-wing parked in your garage or something.
That´s what i´d do if i had an OHP or beamer at my disposal. Alas, unfortunately i cannot get one.
I´ll have to make a grid on the picture and on the door, and then transfer it to the door that way.

I like the idea with the X-wing though. Since they´re rather big, i could paint it from a front perspective over both doors, like this:
ebayxwingfb0.jpg

Of course i´ll edit it to match the style of the other pic. I like it simplicistic, because i´m not a good painter.

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
Thank you, that one is nice too. It actually inspired me.

Damn. Can't find the image I was looking for. I was going to give you a link to a tribal eagle head that would look absolutely amazing on the garage door. Can't find the link though. I have it on my bebo page but if I find the link I'll post it.

Painting the first garage takes very long :( i can only work on it a few hours a day and it's raining frequently.
Anyway, that´s my current status:
reco0051zw0.jpg

I hope i can simplify that X-wing pic enough to easily paint it on the remaining doors.

Ganepark, i´d appreciate it if you could find this tribal pic, if its simple, i might use it instead of the X-wing.

I think prairiefire should stop smoking pot for a while ^^.

@Fishbong: Looks awesome... I wish I could paint that well freehand. It's so hard to get the proportions right when the surface you want to paint on is so huge. Looking forward to that x-wing picture aswell! That's what I would put on my garage door...

Back