GBA emulation?

wammy

Still Fresh
Hi.

I was wondering... GBA runs on an ARM processor, at about 16 MHz. GP32 runs at 133 MHz, on the same processor architecture. I'm not familiar with ARM assembly language and I don't know if there are a lot of differences between their different processors (still focused on the asm). And I don't know a lot about emulation implementation... (some of you will say i know nothing I won't blame them :)

But, at his point, and given these datas, why is it so hard to emulate a slow ARM on a 8 times faster ARM? I know there is the sound, the graphics part and stuff, but at least, a fast working core shouldn't be that hard?

Where am i wrong?

wammy

I think the problem with GBA emulation is that it relies on hardware to run the games whereas the GP is all processor. Its a little difficult for the GP to emulate custom designed pieces of hardware.

It will get better with time

to emu the custom aspects of a GBA would take most of the processor and the RAM...it's possible but you'll need to find someone with a lot of time on their hands

I think there is also the problem of reading ROM because GP 32 got 8 MB RAM, and when emulator is running it use some of this ram, and lot of games on GBA are more than 8 MB, but acces to SMC is quite slow :(

Back