Gbax 2008: Games + Demo Making + Modules ?

Should the next GBAX 2008 include some artistic productions ?

• Yes, it's a good idea !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, only games matter !

• Without opinion ...

• Total voters

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

I was browsing on Back To The Roots and I thought that the Pandora (but not exclusively) should have a "scene" of its own.

To encourage creation we could imagine a new specific contest (with different categories) inside the next GBAX iterations and give prizes to the winners :)

What do you guys think ?

Bye, Magic Sam

I like the idea, but I think it should be something seperate from the GBAX coding competition. Maybe making a competition specifically for demos and such might work.

-God Ginrai

GBAX 2008 probably wont happen in 2008 now due to the Pandora and Wiz being released very late in the year but it will almost certainly happen in early 2009 once both consoles are out and everything has settled down.

Going back to the original post. This is something Craig and myself discussed a while back when we were originally planning GBAX 2008. The idea was instead of only prizes for say 1st to 3rd place overall, the categories would be split into either 1st to 3rd overall and prizes for best Games, Applications, Emulators and Demos. Or to have 1st to 3rd prizes for each of the categories.

The 1st to 3rd overall prizes worked OK when we first started the competition many years ago, it was pretty much games and emulators so was easier to judge. But this doesn't work so well now which is why we were considering changing it. So if it does go ahead this should hopefully tempt people into entering as it will mean a fairer chance of winning as it wont be a demo being judged against a game for example.

I can guarantee one thing, the next compo will be big. Craig and myself will be putting a lot of effort into organising it, 3 new consoles to the list and bigger and better prizes.

Guyfawkes said:
GBAX 2008 probably wont happen in 2008 now due to the Pandora and Wiz being released very late in the year but it will almost certainly happen in early 2009 once both consoles are out and everything has settled down.

Going back to the original post. This is something Craig and myself discussed a while back when we were originally planning GBAX 2008. The idea was instead of only prizes for say 1st to 3rd place overall, the categories would be split into either 1st to 3rd overall and prizes for best Games, Applications, Emulators and Demos. Or to have 1st to 3rd prizes for each of the categories.

The 1st to 3rd overall prizes worked OK when we first started the competition many years ago, it was pretty much games and emulators so was easier to judge. But this doesn't work so well now which is why we were considering changing it. So if it does go ahead this should hopefully tempt people into entering as it will mean a fairer chance of winning as it wont be a demo being judged against a game for example.

I can guarantee one thing, the next compo will be big. Craig and myself will be putting a lot of effort into organising it, 3 new consoles to the list and bigger and better prizes.
What's the third console? (Is it the iPhone?)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
With or without official competition, the scene will grow onto the Pandora the same way it expanded to every other homebrew specific area, or a console capable of such things.

Guyfawkes said:
Yeah it will be the iPhone. The current list is Pandora, Wiz, iPhone, GP2X, GP32, GBA, DS and PSP. I bet I have forgot one again :)
For the iPhone but official or unnofficial? I mean, for AppStore or jailbroken devices?

Guyfawkes said:
Yeah it will be the iPhone. The current list is Pandora, Wiz, iPhone, GP2X, GP32, GBA, DS and PSP. I bet I have forgot one again :)
What, no Android? :p

Back