Gbax Deadline Getting Close

ruckage

Certified Guru
Well the deadline for the Gbax 2007 compo is getting worryingly close and I still have tons of work to do on my entry, starting to panic a bit now. Just wondering how everyone else was getting along.

Well I'm intending to get a final beta of CromoZome out to my testers by the end of the day... and I'm hoping Cameleon is prepared to work hard today too. Unfortunately I can't seem to get music to work on the 2X... may have to cut music... sound effects work though and everything else is ready! :)

Can't wait to be able to try everyone's games! Also hope you lot like my game.

I'm OK. The game isn't finished yet, actually it just got playable, but I'm confident I'll manage to finish it in time. I'm also a bit worried that I still don't have a way to test on the GP2X because of my broken USB port but I just ordered some EXT->USB cable with a powered HUB so I shall be able to test it in time as well.

Pretty tough to start an entire game AFTER the compo announcement tho, next time I'll have an unreleased game ready.

Ah don't worry... I'm in the same boat there! I always manage to have nothing started when a compo is announced, but normally I don't have time to work on it and I have to sit out the compo... So it's a refreshing change that progress is being made and already we have something we could submit... And good luck to everyone! (but I hope CromoZome wins :lol:)

I'm the same A_SN. Actually took me until halfway through the compo to actually decide what I was going to do :D . I think I'll probably be ready in time but I'm certainly cutting it fine.

I just started last week :) Mines playable, but I cant find any music or sound effects:(

hopefully I'll have something ready, probably no sound though! I think i'll need testers the day before the deadline lol ;)

I will post a one week remaining reminder on July 1st.

There is one thing I will add to the competition page (craig will update the page later) regarding the submission of entries larger than 20MB, my email only accepts files up to this size so I have set up a FTP for people to upload to if its larger. PM me or email the competition address for more details if you need it.

We have several entries already for GP2X, DS and PSP so its looking good so far :)

I just submitted my entry last night. Good luck to all those in their final crunch!

Pete

Blocked is done (but I have yet to add the compo title screen), still need to add about 150 puzzles to my Polarium clone & sound & music & main menu & editor & speed, Floaters needs music & sound and I don`t think I can get the 4th game working fast enough on the 2X (tho I think I will still release it)

I've just started work on my entry XD. (Didn'thave time to do it when gbax was announced, was preparing for an exam frenzy back then...) It'd take a lot of effort to get it done in time... But school has ended to me, the only other obligations I have are to my fansub comrades at shinsen-subs... But I think they'll understand if I slack off for a few days. On the plus side I do have a detailed plan scribbled on my calender, including plan-Bs just in case I fail to meet the milestones. As for filesize, mine probably won't top 2mb.... And most of that would be the static SDL >_>

Quiest said:
Blocked is done (but I have yet to add the compo title screen), still need to add about 150 puzzles to my Polarium clone & sound & music & main menu & editor & speed, Floaters needs music & sound and I don`t think I can get the 4th game working fast enough on the 2X (tho I think I will still release it)
4 games? That's intense :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have realized, again, as I've realized on every project.. the devil is in the details. I've had most of the game done a couple weeks, but I've spent hideous amounts of time every night working on tweaks.. pre-render music to try and avoid pauses/skips while playing back later when the action is getting busy, more anims etc..

You get spoiled working on emus and other things that come with other peoples content; its an entirely different kind of massive effort when creating new content, than when tweaking other peoples content :) I always get crunched at the end thinking ... "well, here you have an engine, but make sure the content is good".

(Or maybe its because I like to make engines .. hmm.. others do content? :p)

Good luck to everyone as they work on #2 (with my entry being #1 obviously ;)

jeff

I think he meant 'hedging your bets', which is a phrase where you ... do something that boosts your chances.

"If you lose, you still win"

Mafia use "hedge your bets" to mean that you point a gun at the other poker player while he plays, so he knows he has to play badly :)

jeff

Yeah did mean Hedging not edging, cockney accent means we don't pronounce our h's but it sometimes overspills into typing, skeezix knows how bad I am :) In gambling terms (horse racing) it means putting on multiple bets, so if one doesn't win then another might.

Well, yes, I am :) I badly want a DS Lite, but I have no money for it.
Thats what I`m doing this for, not just so all of you can have fun playing free games :D

Back