GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Man there's so many handheld devices being released recently.That game thingy that's really a dingoo, the neo geo x, chinese clones,official stuff like the ps vita.This looks ok I guess but I think ive reached handheld saturation point what with having a pandora on preorder and a ps vita.

So, after watching all that, it isn't better than Pandora emulation at all.

Why did he even say that at the start?

Looks OK!

Seems to run everything rather well except for PS1, and with 1 nub and 2 shoulders, I really don't see much of a point. Doesn't really seem to do much more than the current line up of dingo, wiz or canoo.

Maybe if it's 75 dollars or less, there may be a market, but I can't see getting one as it seems to run just as good as current units, and with the current control scheme, why would I bother? The youtube comments seem pretty positive, which blows my mind considering how many negative comments I have seen towards the Pandora over the years, and this video really didn't give much information to form an opinion one way or the other.

Chris

Man there's so many handheld devices being released recently.That game thingy that's really a dingoo, the neo geo x, chinese clones,official stuff like the ps vita.This looks ok I guess but I think ive reached handheld saturation point what with having a pandora on preorder and a ps vita.

Agree. I have a Dingoo, a DS Lite, a 3DS, a PSVita, a Pandora, an Ipod Touch, an iPhone 4s,iControlpad... I can't carry them all the time... even though I wish for that... Of all of them Pandora is my favourite and it is the one I spent more time playing :)

This one doesn't look any better my Dingoo.

Looks interesting, anyone got a link to who's going to be making this thing?

the pandora isn't a viable option for most people who follow the handheld market. it's too expensive and not readily available. that's why it's not usually considered when these comparisons are being made.

Last edited by a moderator:
the pandora isn't a viable option for most people who follow the handheld market. it's too expensive and not readily available. that's why it's not usually considered when these comparisons are being made.
Thats still not really the point is it? if you want to say that of the very readily available handhelds out there it is affordable and performs well then fine but then why try and make a comparison that is a lie? If you want to say "there are more powerful devices out there but they are hard to get hold of" then fine, but to claim it is better at emulation is just stirring shit.

Thats still not really the point is it? if you want to say that of the very readily available handhelds out there it is affordable and performs well then fine but then why try and make a comparison that is a lie? If you want to say "there are more powerful devices out there but they are hard to get hold of" then fine, but to claim it is better at emulation is just stirring shit.

Yes I agree that what he said was technically wrong, but I very much doubt he purposefully lied or was trying to stir up shit. Their is very little overlap between the Pandora community and the Chinese handheld communities, so little that I doubt the Pandora even entered his mind when he was mentally making performance comparisons. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Of course I could be wrong, he could have planned it this way because he wanted to rile Craigix and co. I know I'd be tempted.

Not a bad looking little machine at all, methinks - it's certainly nice to see more handheld choices popping up lately (so says a major handheld nut :p ). :)

It would have been nice if the SNES emulator footage had shown some games that typically have audio or speed problems, though - for example, Mega Man 7 and several other SNES Mega Man titles (which, in Snes9x4P, for example, need the alternate sound toggle for the audio to be correct), and Star Fox (which typically runs at an incorrect, and generally unplayable, double-speed on most SNES emulators for open handhelds, including Snes9x4P). That would have given me a better handle on what it can really do.

The choppiness of Crash Bandicoot left me a bit queasy, though, I must admit. :lol:

I know I'd be tempted.
Why? :blink:

Looks like a decent option for the thrifty gamer. Love your vids by the way BAFelton. ;)

Unrelated lighthearted jesting ahoy: Fingernails should always be trimmed before filming gadget closeups. :p

Thanks to the current ongoing production, the Pandora will be available from stock in about 2 weeks :)

And as I'm currently recovering old CC PCBs and fixing them, we'll have those and Pandoras with little flaws (non working WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) starting from probably 250 EUR, so it's a bit better pricewise :)

Of course, still not as cheap as a 100 EUR device, but we don't know yet how much it will cost.

Getting Caanoos will become harder soon, so depending on price and OS, this might be an interesting replacement :)

Looks like a decent option for the thrifty gamer. Love your vids by the way BAFelton. ;)

Unrelated lighthearted jesting ahoy: Fingernails should always be trimmed before filming gadget closeups. :p

Not my vid ;) Qbert's fingers :D

Hmm... It seems like he wants to compare it to the pandora since he has tagged the video "pandora"

Yes, he does, and the device he is demoing is going nowhere. It's may as well be another Chinese PMP.

Actually it probably is.

And the Pandora is available pretty easily, from me or Ed, often within 7-14 days.

Hmm, the speakers are in the same place as the classic good old Dingoo A320 :)

Ahh, it's also using an Ingenic.

From the description, it sounds similar to an JZ4770.

A benchmark doesn't really say much, but you can at least compare it a bit:

http://www.chinaelectronicsinsider.com/latest-developments/novo7-ingenic-jz4770-benchmark

So it's a bit slower than the classic Samsung Galaxy S, which means it would be a bit slower than the Pandora... but that's only a benchmark thing, reality can be very different, especially with differend architectures...

Stuff like NEON (like we have with the Pandora) can bring major speedups. A good axample is our spot-on PSX emulator thanks to notaz and Exophase. It's using NEON and therefore running VERY optimized. As this one here is based on MIPS, it can't be ported, so someone would need to optimize it anew... and I'm not even sure the JZ4770 has any enhancements as effective as this.

EvilDragon said:
Thanks to the current ongoing production, the Pandora will be available from stock in about 2 weeks :)
Does that mean i get my batch 2 unit sent to me in the next 2 mon- ;) weeks? Any chance of letting me change the shipping address on such short notice?

Hmm, the speakers are in the same place as the classic good old Dingoo A320 :)

Ahh, it's also using an Ingenic.

From the description, it sounds similar to an JZ4770.

A benchmark doesn't really say much, but you can at least compare it a bit:

http://www.chinaelec...z4770-benchmark

So it's a bit slower than the classic Samsung Galaxy S, which means it would be a bit slower than the Pandora... but that's only a benchmark thing, reality can be very different, especially with differend architectures...

Stuff like NEON (like we have with the Pandora) can bring major speedups. A good axample is our spot-on PSX emulator thanks to notaz and Exophase. It's using NEON and therefore running VERY optimized. As this one here is based on MIPS, it can't be ported, so someone would need to optimize it anew... and I'm not even sure the JZ4770 has any enhancements as effective as this.

where you getting that chipset information from for this mystery device?

also you're saying the pandora is as fast or faster than a galaxy S? I always thought the pandora had the same SoC as the original Motorola droid. And the galaxy S mops the floor with the motorola droid.

I must be missing something

Back