GDC - % of Devs Developing Games per Platform

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
GDC did a survey in Dec 2016 with 4500 developers that asked them what platforms they are develping for.
Don't pay any attention to the Switch result , as it wasn't even out at the time.

It is interesting though that so many devs are developing for VR

GDC-2017-Switch-min.jpg

Nice chart.
I'm surprised they grouped PC & Mac. I guess PC is in fact Windows (because there is a Linux). On a developpement point of view, Mac is as different to Windows then Linux is to Windows, so it would had make sense to split them (but that may have have put Smartphone/Tablet first...).

GDC did a survey in Dec 2016 with 4500 developers that asked them what platforms they are develping for.
Don't pay any attention to the Switch result , as it wasn't even out at the time.
Dec 2016 was just three months ago and shortly before release one might suspect more activity behind the Switch, so I wouldn't pay no attention to it.
To me it makes it look even more like a stillbirth.

PC = Personal Computer, but who cares about that? Not the media/industry as you can see.

Maybe Mac percentage was lower than Linux, and using Metal/Moltenvk instead of Vulkan, may have something to do with the fact that somes games are released on Linux but not on Mac lately.

Anyway statistics are lies, unless you have all the numbers and make the right questions.

PD: Poor BSD, Haiku, ReactOS users, nobody thinks about them, ;)

i would've guessed that smartphones/tablets are in the lead since everyone is so obsessed with casual games and microtransactions (and weird monetarization strategies in general).
the low switch percentage is probably because no one was "currently developing games" for it last year (or everyone was cruching like mad because making a good guess about how much time a project on new hardware will take is impossible).

i would've guessed that smartphones/tablets are in the lead since everyone is so obsessed with casual games and microtransactions (and weird monetarization strategies in general).
the low switch percentage is probably because no one was "currently developing games" for it last year (or everyone was cruching like mad because making a good guess about how much time a project on new hardware will take is impossible).
Wasn't the Switch supposed to be carrying lots of indies?
Did Nintendo reach out to those beforehand with attractive contracts for a proper release lineup?

Wasn't one of the good points of Xbone the similarity with Windows regarding porting software ?
I always thought that if a dev was creating a game for Windows, he could have ported it easily to Xbone, or the way around... (well, excluding the obvious many more features the PC has...)

Grouping the probably negligible amount of Mac stuff with PC, as in Windows, smells funny. Sub 5% and maybe someone with an agenda?

Back