Geepee32 Running .fxe Games?

mgman

Still Fresh
Hello. I would like to play the game, SmashGP on the GeePee32 emulator. I tried running the .fxe, but after showing a "loading" white screen, it's black and nothing happens.

Could someone please tell me how to properly run SmashGP? It's a freeware game and you can download it.

No, it doesn't belong in GP2X section either :) I'll move it to GP32 for you and delete the one in the Wiz section.

Secondly, Geepee32 doesn't run that many games as it doesn't emulate the hardware fully.

mgman said:
Hello. I would like to play the game, SmashGP on the GeePee32 emulator. I tried running the .fxe, but after showing a "loading" white screen, it's black and nothing happens.

Could someone please tell me how to properly run SmashGP? It's a freeware game and you can download it.

It is because the game does not consist of the single .fxe file only (unlike some others that do), but it also needs its "smashgp" folder that contains its data files (graphics, music, sounds..). There used to be a few tools that created a virtual SMC card, a file with the .smc extension that contained all the files the game needs and you can open it in GeePee32 by choosing File->Load->SmartMedia. Thats all I remember, hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteFalcon said:
mgman said:

It is because the game does not consist of the single .fxe file only (unlike some others that do), but it also needs its "smashgp" folder that contains its data files (graphics, music, sounds..). There used to be a few tools that created a virtual SMC card, a file with the .smc extension that contained all the files the game needs and you can open it in GeePee32 by choosing File->Load->SmartMedia. Thats all I remember, hmm.

I see. Well, luckily, I managed to get the game to run :). Yes, I am aware of the emulator's limitations. There is no sound and the emulator stops after about 5 minutes.

I just have a question, now, about SmashGP addon's. I just tried the Contra character (it's also available on the site, can download). Is there a way to extract contents within the character files (.pak or .chr)? I'm more curious about some sound effect implemented in the Contra guy (it's called photon.wav and you can see the filename within contra.chr).

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked it back then but forgot to post anything (not that there would have been much to post about ;) ). There is at least one character editor, but I don't think it can extract files. The PAK file seems to contain only bitmaps, while the CHR file seems to be only a header file of sorts. Whenever I needed a pack file for my programs, I used a single one for both header and data. so this confuses me. The CHR file does not seem to contain any data that could be extracted so the final impression I get from it is that the sound data is not there at all, it may be included in the game itself or whatever. You could also look at the source code of the game, I did but it did not make me any wiser. Not much, I said it :)

Back