geforce fx 5200 PCI problems

davey g

Bitches and hos
Website
www.belfastskate.has.it
Ok I upgraded my PC from tnt2 to a geforce fx but in counter strike my fps drop to 40 in large areas when my tnt2 didnt. I just dont understand !!!. Its the same with Return to castle wolfenstein, even when set to the lowest settings it gets unplayable when there is a large open area.

I have a 1.3ghz AMD athlon with 512 mb ram.

I have FSAA off aswell.

Also I get lag sometimes in games offline like theres a delayed response between me moving my mouse and the movement occuring on screen.

I have had similar problems with lag in the past. The way I soved it was to make sure that I had a Windows swap file on the disc partition where the games are installed so that the game doesn't have to keep swapping between partitions

Go into dxdiag and give us your System and Display information. Those would be the System and Display tabs. dxdiag.exe is somewhere on your system - just go to Run and type in "dxdiag" (with or without the quotes) and it should pop up.

[Edit] If you want to know specifically, I am pretty sure its either Windows\System or Windows\System32, which can vary and even be invalid depending on your version of Windows. [/Edit]

system

Sys manufacturer: time computers
BIOS: american megatrends
processor: AMD athlon, MMX, 3DNOW, 1.3ghz
memory: 512mb ram
dx version: 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902_

display

device
name : nvidia geforce fx 5200
approx. total memory: 127mb
current display mode: 1024x768 (32bit)(optimal refresh rate)
monitor: Studioworks 775N

drivers
main driver: nvdisp.drv
version : 4.14.0010.4523 (english)
date: 28/7/2003
WHQL Logo'd: No
Mini VDD: nvmini.vxd
VDD: *vdd
DDI version : 9 (or higher)

as a test move/rename your wolfenstein config so it creates a new one and knock up the graphics again and see how it is, my friend upgraded once and i dunno what he did but something was screwed after removing his config and setting it all up again it seemed to run well

There must be a newer version of the Nvidia drivers available. Try reinstalling the problem games, this will quite often solve the problem (assuming they were installed before you upgraded)

a bit off topic but i need help moving from a pci gfx card to agp, when the agp one is in i see absolutely nothing on my monitor but when the pci card is in it works. i have enabled agp in the bios too... :(

Pci cards are generally slower than AGP cards. Seeing how the AGP version of the 5200 (which is what I have) is an 8x card... there will be a significant difference in performance. 5200 is a high end card which is pushing alot more data than a TNT2 so most likely the pci bus is getting flooded with more data than it can handle. Try running both games in 16bit mode or a lower resolution.

Just my 2 cents.

Cronee already took my conclusion. Usually in the case of PCI video card performance, it is either old drivers or PCI bus overflow. There may be a way to test for the latter. If your sound and especially network cards (network is VERY cpu intensive) are not integrated into your motherboard, then disable your sound and network. Pull 'em out if you have to. If that considerably improves your situation, then it may a problem with the limits on your PCI bus.

Unfortunately, there may be no way to resolve this issue. Athlons have always had rather low bus ratings all around, and may not be well suited to the PCI version of the Geforce 5200. Windows ME certainly isn't compensating for the weakness.

nerd of nerds - What motherboard do you own? I've never heard of a MB taking on a PCI slot as a primary over an AGP slot. Does the BIOS have some type of order to check for the primary display I/O that you can change?

[Edit] Axeman has a good point. The AGP card may be defective. Do you have any other computer you can test it in? Sometimes retail stores will let you test it in one of their display models, just to see if it works or not. Does your motherboard have a light near the AGP slot? Some motherboards use such lights to indicate compatibility with an AGP card. If so, it should be Green when the card is placed in. [/Edit]

Try flashing the bios if it hasn't been updated. Do a search for your board manufacturer and model number. My performance quadrupled once I did that after a gfx card upgrade.

davey g posted on Sep 4 2003 said:
Ill give that a try. Its strange, I was just playing unreal 2, perfect fps at highest resolution and highest detail yet I get slowdown in halflife and RTCW, strange. Ill look into the bios update.
It really is worth ago. It usually only benefits AGP users but updating the bios is heathly anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back