General League Talk And Other Regular Madness

Christoph.Krn

Advanced Member
Hi!

I LOVE small talk. Like... totally!

----END OF GREETING---- Anyway, to keep the league alive I figured we might want to have a place where everyone can put snippets of personal information or insights in order to increase other people's amusement quotient. Now wouldn't THAT be a great invention? Well then, cling on tight - because here it is!

If you're as much a fan of small talk as I am but decide to post here anyway, you're welcome to talk about whatever seems to be somewhat related to the retro league. Is there some little known interesting information you'd like to share about some nominated game? Any funny incidents that happened while you were playing and wouldn't justify creating a separate thread? (Boy, I'm like a total small talk PRO, dude!)

Alright, let's get this started. (I.e. don't make me look stupid by not posting anything. :)) Actually, there IS something I'd like to know: what's the reason that you're taking part in the league? Do you care about your score or is it just to enjoy some old games? If we knew the answer to that, we could improve the league based on a concept built around people's expec... aww, see? Small talk PRO!

"Somebody set us up the bomb."

On my phone so being brief :( you all know I'm a chatty bastard :)

- motivator to try to play instead of hacking as usual cor me :p
- try 'new' games
- putting it on a competitve footing wih managable timeframes brings back a certain edge.. the way so many of these games are designed. Flipping through an emu is one thing but lining quarters on the side of the monitor to show your intention to kick someones score .. Those were the days :) somehow more fun this way..

Jeffphone

Yeah, same as skeezix for me, except I'm not trying to stop hacking on cool sideprojects. I can't even be bothered to do that any more, so I thought I'd start with something easy; gaming ;)

But the scores are important to me - that's my motivation for playing these games properly.

Plus I've not played a lot of these games before. Like quite a few UK people I was too busy hacking 8-bit computers in the 80s that to really bother with console gaming, especially as 40 quid a pop for games versus at most 10 quid on computer games.

I was more familiar with some of the arcade games from the early 80s and earlier, since they'd received good computer ports, but pretty soon the arcade games of the day were too powerful to run on 8-bit hardware, so different games came out on each platform.

I played a bit in the arcades in the mid 90s, and I got my access to my first console in about 1995. That's the era I most fondly look back on - not for the games, but for the friendly competition we had. That's the main reason I'm doing this.

OF late, life is busy, so when I fire up an emu its usually to play something I want to go play; also, its just so easy to be in a blah mood and just drop the game, or restart the rom, or flip between 20 games in quick succession .. just don't care, just play for old times sake and all that. I have a few core games that were my favourites of the day (Time Bandits on the ST for example, which I'll nominate later ;), but in general I just blast through a bunch and settle into an old shoe.

But here, here we have to actually _play_.. it gives a reason, and suddenly its much more fun and interesting :) We're not playing against old memories, we're playing against other similarly minded goofs :)

jeff

I'm with Skeezix here: it makes you play the games properly again. It makes you play a game like you've just spent £40 on it and there's no way you're going to move on until you've got your money's worth.

If I had just decided to play Willow one day I most likely would've just kept plowing through it until I beat it or got bored and moved on. I would never have got the enjoyment out of it I have done here.

I'm also enjoying chatting about the game and swapping tactics, and the competitive side of it is great too. I don't know any other retro gamers in real life so it's good to have that side of it back. (I play modern games too but a good game is a good game, right? Why does it need to have flashy graphics to be enjoyable?)

I even enjoy that horrible feeling when I see Monkeychops has posted in the scoring section...

Oh and Christoph.Krn? Could you please put a warning before linking to xkcd: I try not to visit there as I find it hard to leave :p

Tickles said:
(I play modern games too but a good game is a good game, right? Why does it need to have flashy graphics to be enjoyable?)
Compare this to most modern tutorials and start regretting having bought games which rely on metrics fetishism.

Tickles said:
Oh and Christoph.Krn? Could you please put a warning before linking to xkcd: I try not to visit there as I find it hard to leave :p
Sure, no problem.

On an unrelated sidenote, in accordance to a warning xkcd#609 I am now going to link you to a random tv tropes item. No need to thank me.

Tickles said:
[...] a warning [...]
Tell me more about WARNING?

Please forgive me for making this thread more interesting. ;)

We're watching you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christoph.Krn said:
Compare this to most modern tutorials and start regretting having bought games which rely on metrics fetishism.
I could read all the way through SMB3 if only I had the time (and didn't now want to play it
tongue.gif
). That whole site seems interesting, I'll have to have a good look around when I've got better access than a mobile phone.

Christoph.Krn said:
On an unrelated sidenote, in accordance to a warning xkcd#609 I am now going to link you to a random tv tropes item. No need to thank me.
laugh.gif
xkcd#609 is exactly what I do on xkcd!

You now need to warn me before linking to tv tropes as well.

Christoph.Krn said:
Oh I give up.

Christoph.Krn said:
Please forgive me for making this thread more interesting.
wink.gif

We're watching you.
Ok, you're forgiven; although I suspect Monkeychops has paid you to distract me from playing Willow by pointing me to addictive sites
tongue.gif

ok off subject (is that possible in this thread?) but:
the deadline for round one is feb 12th, are we going with a certain time and time zone on the 12th as the cut off or are just gonna say its closed once the 12th is over for the entire world?

MonkeyChops said:
ok off subject (is that possible in this thread?) but:
the deadline for round one is feb 12th, are we going with a certain time and time zone on the 12th as the cut off or are just gonna say its closed once the 12th is over for the entire world?
23:59 GMT - I'm in the UK and I answered first! :p

I think its closed when Pickle closes the thread ;)

Sure, GMT sounds like a good all around official date, but I don' think we should be bastards about it. Do you think people are going to compete to the last hour and fight over scores if someone submits one an hour late?

(maybe, but I hope not :)

jeff

I only ask b/c my buddy is competing but is being a total slacker about posting his score.

I'd hope we can be easy going with time limits but having an official time will help there from being problems in the first place.

Back