Getting Close Now, When To Order The Sd Cards?

Middo

Website
www.fillsites.com.au
Hi All,

I was lucky enough not to have spent up big and purchse my SDHC cards at the time of preorder. I think now it is getting close to actually being able to get some??

Are there people still waiting like me, if so when are you ordering?

I have found the below prices as I'm in Australia. (if any fellow Aussies know of cheaper, plese advise)

http://www.gizmomart.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=51_166&products_id=316528

Cheers,

Middo

According to staticice that's about the best price you'll get for that particular card. There are cheaper ones, but it looks like they're all class 2 cards or no-name class 4 cards. Probably safest to stick with the Sandisk. :)

I picked a Sandisk 16GB class 6 a couple of months ago, which along with a collection of smaller cards should do me for now.

Gruso said:
According to staticice that's about the best price you'll get for that particular card. There are cheaper ones, but it looks like they're all class 2 cards or no-name class 4 cards. Probably safest to stick with the Sandisk. :)

I picked a Sandisk 16GB class 6 a couple of months ago, which along with a collection of smaller cards should do me for now.

SanDisck are good, but there's cheaper patriot class 10 32Gb card...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Elwing said:
SanDisck are good, but there's cheaper patriot class 10 32Gb card...
You're right. Are Patriot known as decent cards?

no idea, and that's might be a problem, trough they advertise a five year waranty... I did not checked what they cover...

I have 2 of these Patriots http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220359&cm_re=sdhc_32gb-_-20-220-359-_-Product and have never had a single problem. They had a 100% perfect rating at the begining of the year. Perfect card at a near perfect price. Good buy for those in the US. patriot has a rock solid rep.

Chris

GizmoTheGreen said:
ill order my sd cards when the pandora arrives, the longer you wait the cheaper it gets. (mostly)
That's why prices have more-or-less remained unchanged (and in some cases, have gone up) since the start of the recession, then? ;)

The best time is when your unit is actually shipped.

I'm sure you can live a couple days with a 4gb sd card or whatever you have kicking around that you can steal from your camera.

I ordered a Sandisk 4GB Extreme HD SDHC card (16,04 EUR), an A-DATA class 6 SDHC card with 16GB (30,48 EUR) along with 2 different bluetooth adaptors (class 1 for desktop, class 2 for laptop), a powered USB hub and a USB->RJ45 LAN adaptor from amazon just today.
And I'm looking forward to receiving a Nokia BH-505 bluetooth headset from an E-Bay shop.

There are a lot of people who bought card thinking the Pandora’s shipping was imminent when it was not. If you’re not in the first 1000 then you might want to wait till the first 1000 ship. Also as Elanzer said if you have to pay with a crap card for a couple of days it is no big deal. On the other hand card prices have not gone down in price over the last year or so if you bought early you did not really lose out so I guess it really does not matter.

A few months ago when it looked like we were 'getting close' I ordered up a pair of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220452&cm_re=32gb_sdhc-_-20-220-452-_-Product

I paid $105 a card - they're now $97.

I also bought a Archos type Boxwave screen protector. It's sitting on my desk with the cards.

And the waiting continues.

I bought three of the class 10 patriot 32 gigs ...
two for the Pandora and one for my Aluratek 9" video player!

Got mine last October as per this post, am amazed to see that the prices seem to have gone up slightly, guess we might have to wait for the introduction of 64GB cards for prices to drop a significant amount.

How fast is the sd i/o-controller of the pandora? Would a Sandisk Extreme III (rated at 30 MB/sec read and write) even make sense or would an Ultra II (15 MB read, 9 MB write) already be enough? All my SD cards for my camera etc. are from Sandisk and I really like the speed...

Toms hardware have just updated their SD card labs which is good timing. Their older one was getting a little out of date, and there's a surprising lack of alternative websites giving similar data.

Personally I've just gone for a 16gb Samsung for £35 from play.com (European retailer). Was glad to see that Toms rated my card well for I/O performance as I plan to use it to run the OS from. Not so good on the continued throughput, but that's in comparison to some pretty esteemed (read: expensive) company so I'm not particularly worried about that.

Now I'm looking at a second card for files. A class 2 will do, but I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth the extra tenner for a class 6 just in case I use it for a different purpose down the line. I'm sure when 32/64 gig cards drop in price then one will go in my Pandora and whatever card I'll get will be recycled. So even though a class 6 will be overkill for a second 'files' card for the Pandora, it may serve me better in future.

Decisions decisions...

In answer to the question, I would get one now, flash prices have gone nowhere in ages.

Regarding the second card for files, if a Class 2 will do, but a Class 6 is £10 more, how about settling in the middle for a Class 4? :p That way it'll be a decent all-rounder (most of my cards are Class 4s, although I recently picked up a Verbatim Class 6 32GB card from Amazon UK to serve as my "main" card).

Emnasut said:
How fast is the sd i/o-controller of the pandora? Would a Sandisk Extreme III (rated at 30 MB/sec read and write) even make sense or would an Ultra II (15 MB read, 9 MB write) already be enough? All my SD cards for my camera etc. are from Sandisk and I really like the speed...
It has an absolute max possible theoretical speed of 24MB/s, and it's been tested with cards up to 16MB/s. I wouldn't expect it to go much faster than that 16. A 30MB/s is definitely overkill.

Back