Getting Discouraged

orangewhip

Still Fresh
I know I wasn't a part of the initial group of people who made their pre-order, and that there are still a lot of people in front of me in line, but I must say I am getting pretty discouraged waiting for my Pandora.

I got in on the end of the first batch, on November 10th, 2009 to be exact and received an email saying that the Pandora would be "Expected release end of November/early December."

Now obviously that never happened and I have been quietly and patiently waiting for it. I an now looking at over a year and a half wait, for something I was told was going to be at maximum a month.

I understand this is fine with a lot of people and many people have been waiting much longer than this.... the problem I have, is that I was never a part of the "movement" to build this thing, I never ordered the other hand-held devices that came out previously. I was simply a consumer that saw an article online about the Pandora on a different website, came to the Pandora website, read about it's specs and what it could do, saw there were a few left for the initial order, and was told it would be no more than a month wait. So I bit the bullet and ordered.

I have been waiting and reading the forums to pass my time since the day I ordered, patiently waiting, seeing all the banter back and forth about nubs, and keyboards, and China, Premium Orders, and LCD cables, etc... I have since bought an iPad, and Android Tablet, 3 iPhones, a Nexus One, etc... but I have still be waiting for my Pandora.

I keep checking my order date with other pre-purchasers on the threads, have never once emailed to ask where my position was/is, have never posted on the forum until this point.

And I am now to the point, where I may just cancel my order... the wait has made the love wear so thin, that even if I received my Pandora tomorrow, I am not sure I would want it anymore. I have many other hobbies that I could use this money towards that I know would happen.

The biggest frustration with all this, is that if I wasn't web or tech savvy and didn't know what a forum is/was, and I didn't read all the posts on it on a daily basis.... if I were just simply a consumer who thought the product looked interesting and was told I could buy one and have it within a month, then I would have probably called the police by now.

I have NEVER received 1 email since the day I ordered my Pandora, not a thing about the delays, asking if it would be OK to sell Premium versions, when I could expect my Pandora, nothing.

Again, I know this is OK for those of you who were all over this from day 1, and for me it is SOMEWHAT ok, because I know enough about the web and forums to keep abreast of the situation, but for a regular "Joe" to go onto the site, buy this, and then hear absolutely NOTHING from the day they ordered it, well.... it is 100% unacceptable.

As a matter of fact I believe I have been EXTREMELY patient, but this thing was a 40th birthday present that was almost 2 years ago now...and, well... I really don't know what else to say.

I am highly disappointed... and am doing everything in my power not to cancel my order.

Let the flame war begin....

There won't be a flame war. Plenty of people have left the project. It's not for everyone. The Pandora is unique bespoke bit of kit which has taken a lot longer than we expected. But when/if you do get it it's very very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth the wait & look on the bright side, you'll be able to sell it for more than you paid for it if you decide the Pandora is not for you.

Speaking of waiting, early last year I, too also felt discouraged, so I didn't really bother following the Pandora anymore...until I finally got a Pandora this year and never once looked back at my 'feeling down discouraged' days(those were dark days indeed). I'm happy as Larry now and so will you be as soon as you receive your Pandora.

@orangewhip - Lucky for you you're the second billy goat gruff. Mind you your bigger brother sure got a good counter-trolling.

The secret is not to use the word scam. That tend to set them off a bit.

When you are still waiting... it does get really tough to keep faith in the project. I got really really paranoid that I had got missed out in the order queue or something.

You just need to accept that uneasy feeling as something natural from the fact you are still waiting.

Things are moving ahead better than they were, and it may not be as fast as many of us would like, but units are getting out there and the gradually increase in units is creating a gradual increase in homebrew released and things in general are moving forward.

If you know why the Pandora is a really awesome device, then you should try and hang on until you get it, since there is still nothing that fills the same niche that the Pandora does.

^ Agreed, Poke. Nothing compares to the awesome'ness' of Pandora.

pandora.jpg

welcome!

I enjoyed waiting a lot. It was almost as good as having pandora now. It was an adventure. I love adventures. An over 2 years long adventure.

Now I cannot wait till I will be able to start waiting to wait for pandora2!

Yeah, the only real reason I am keeping for now, is because I am a HUGE retro fan... I have 22+ arcade machines in my house and 4 full size pinball machines. You will have a hard time trying to find a bigger retro gaming fan that me... and that doesn't even include my consoles!

Cabin Fever! I mention this before. It's not easy to explain. The Pandora is a perfect bit of kit. It is every thing you need and have ever desired. If that was not true 2.5 years ago it is now.

Every day, that's 912 days or there abouts, the Pandora has been messing with your mind. Slow twisting your thoughts, amplifying your carnal lust for this unique tech.

Look in the mirror. A long hard look. Face it. You are addicted. You have simple cracked under the strain. Don't worry it happens to us all in time.

My name is Simon. I am 40 something. I am a Pandora addict. I have been waiting 2.2 Years. I am ashamed of my spineless, childish whinging, but I know, there will be a moment when I will whinge again.

Cabin Fever! I mention this before. It's not easy to explain. The Pandora is a perfect bit of kit. It is every thing you need and have ever desired. If that was not true 2.5 years ago it is now.

Every day, that's 912 days or there abouts, the Pandora has been messing with your mind. Slow twisting your thoughts, amplifying your carnal lust for this unique tech.

Look in the mirror. A long hard look. Face it. You are addicted. You have simple cracked under the strain. Don't worry it happens to us all in time.

My name is Simon. I am 40 something. I am a Pandora addict. I have been waiting 2.2 Years. I am ashamed of my spineless, childish whinging, but I know, there will be a moment when I will whinge again.

Haha that is awesome! Thanks for the chuckle!

I just have another money sucking hobby that I have started, and that $ would be helpful... but I will probably wait it out... just needed to let it all out....

welcome!

I enjoyed waiting a lot. It was almost as good as having pandora now. It was an adventure. I love adventures. An over 2 years long adventure.

Now I cannot wait till I will be able to start waiting to wait for pandora2!
nooooooooooo!!!

let me still enjoy and learn about 1 :angry:

I'm in the same boat as you, late pre-otder around the same time, so I get where you're coming from (actually think I got the same canned response when ordering).

Most of the time how I feel about the project is dictated by how much news we get from OP. When there's news it makes it seem like they're actually getting closer to the goal, just at the moment it seems pretty quiet (no news for nearly a month; status page hasn't been updated in even longer) so it's pretty easy to start doubting whether you'll ever get a Pandora. I think I'll stick with it for as long as it takes, but the lack of updates doesn't make the waiting any easier...

different strokes for different folks.

yep the wait was agonising. the reward immeasurable.

after all i can't build a Pandora so thank OPT for taking on the arduous engineering task of doing it for me and all they ask is for me to be patient and pay for it. if iwasn't willing to do that i either had to go without or build it myself. neither of those options give me a Pandora, so i ordered, suffered LOL and finally was rewarded and now i am so happy i can't believe it.

don't worry, your order will arrive - or do what i did - go premium, pay for UPS shipping and you will have it in 7 days

Heh - there have been many times where I just wished I was one of the waiting preorder folks... with nothing to lose than a few hundred USD and time...

Believe me, with all the stuff we've been through, the issues there were, etc., I was getting discouraged MANY times...

Heh - there have been many times where I just wished I was one of the waiting preorder folks... with nothing to lose than a few hundred USD and time...

Believe me, with all the stuff we've been through, the issues there were, etc., I was getting discouraged MANY times...

like the op, i'm a 42yr old retro gamer / collector also. sure it eats alot of my time and more of my money, but heck i was able to retire early and now i can enjoy my favorite hobby full time (along with coding here and there).

but if it weren't for guys like you ED, Craig and the rest of the Pandora team, i wouldn't have had my awesome wait time since preorder, then my upgrading to a premium order so i could support OpenPandora the way it should be supported and just to be able to receive my Pandora. now she's my favorite gadget, with two 32gb sd cards, loads of emus and apps, it's the next best thing to have in your pocket.

... and that is was keeps me going and get courage.

The whole thing isn't easy - it's probably the hardest, most time consuming and work intensive thing I will ever do in my whole life - and it must be even more exhausting for Craig sometimes...

But seeing how many guys have the Pandora as most used gadget nowadays, it's really making me proud and happy.

Yeah, the only real reason I am keeping for now, is because I am a HUGE retro fan... I have 22+ arcade machines in my house and 4 full size pinball machines. You will have a hard time trying to find a bigger retro gaming fan that me... and that doesn't even include my consoles!
Now I envy you. In a good way of course.

It seems that you are definitely a huge retro fan and budget isn't your primary concern.

Can I give you a suggestion?

Upgrade to premium! Its just a few dollars more and you will get your Pandora in a few days. Believe me, it worth every penny (especially for you since you are a retro fan).

Back