Getting The 2x Online

Anonymous D

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have just downloaded gp2x gpe and found that it has a web browser, so I wanted to try it out, I have enabled all the network options in the settings and connected it to the pc with the usb cable. This pc is in turn connected to the internet through a wireless ntework. Can I share this internet connection with the 2x? I am on windows xp sp2.
thanks

i_am_a_noob posted on Aug 24 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
No, you can only get internet through the EXT port.
Has anyone actually done this and managed to browse some sites?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried messing around in the network connections, in the properties of my net connection, I tried enabling connection sharing but nothing seemed to happen. Though I have managed to get samba working...

I've had it working through USB networking before, however, I did it on Linux. I know it is possible to do it on Windows, I just don't know how.

This should help you a bit, but it isn't the complete explanation you will need to share the Internet connection.

Anonymous D posted on Aug 24 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
I've tried messing around in the network connections, in the properties of my net connection, I tried enabling connection sharing but nothing seemed to happen. Though I have managed to get samba working...
You need connection sharing turned on, as you've already done. Have you set your PC as the default gateway for the GP2X? Using route add default gw [PC's address] via telnet or a script?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you also need a USB network driver for windows to begin with? I think I remember something like that, should be on the archive.

Change your GP2X's IP to something in your local network's subnet (i.e. if your PC's IP on your local network is 192.168.1.2 then your GP2X's could be 192.168.1.10, provided there isn't already something using that. Then you bridge your PC's wireless connections and your PC's GP2X connection.

Since you are statically setting the gp2x IP It is likely that you are also going to need to give it a valid DNS to work with, so that browsing web pages is possible... URL address to IP translation.

I was having trouble with connection sharing until I ran that route command.

I could finally ping google.com. But once I finally could connect, I couldn't get gpe or qtopia to run. When I opened qtopia, it just shows a black screen then opens back to the main menu. Gpe shows the little x mouse for a bit then goes to a black screen and then back tot he menu.

Any ideas?

Hmmm. Does gpe or Qtopia run properly before you change the default gateway? I can't imagine why that would negatively effect those apps. I've not tried gpe, but Qtopia hasn't given me any trouble. Perhaps you accidentally fudged something else while trying to get connection sharing to work?

Back