Getting VPN (hamachi) to work.

Sigurd

Hi guys,

I am curious to know how to install packages on the Pandora. I know there are some in the Ångström repository. But im interested in testing some 3'rd party packages in .deb and .rpm formats. Also interested if this is at all possible, eg. if the openpandora is just too unique to support it any 3'rd party packages.

Ive tried looking around a bit, ive also tried using "sudo opkg install <package>" but im getting the errors:

"

* pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for logmein-hamachi found, but incompatible with the architectures configured

*opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package logmein-hamachi

"

From what i gather it screws up because of the architecture, but isn't the architecture ARM? if so, why would it be complaining when the package is compatible with ARM?

Any comments will prove helpfull, im far from familiar with the underlying structure of linux :/

New point of post can be found down there in post #7

\ /

||

||

V

Last edited by a moderator:
you cant just install .deb or .rpm files :p first of all the application needs compiling for the pandora's hardware, and as far as im aware the pandors os deals with .ipk not .deb or .rpm

Whaaaaa! linux is hard! D:

Edit: </childish mode>

http://www.angstrom-...bution.org/repo

pandora is armv7a architecture compatible
Thanks! (i think while still trying to grasp what it is)

Looks usefull but i wish i had more firm grip on the linux vocabulary :p

I looked at:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=kernel-module-hamachi

I am however struggeling to find out what this is and if it achually is what i think it is (hamachi)

I must say, i appreciate your help very much guys, but im finding my self a bit confused :/

Ah, crap, had my hopes up for a second. Seemed there was a lot of devices out there with support eg. the nokia Nxxx phones (http://talk.maemo.or...ead.php?t=17955)

But thanks for looking and helping Alerino :)

<EDIT>

Perhaps another question is raised...

What makes the Pandora (or Ångström) diffrent from all the other ARM devices? It seems fairly hard to locate usable software for the pandora when everything looks alike :p - Eg. .tar.gz files, scripts etc.

</EDIT>

<EDIT2>

Okay, since my dreams of a hamachi client has been shut down for good *crying* it seems that ill have to find another way to fullfill my evil demands.

My Dilemma:

Where i live at the moment i don't have any control over the firewall / NAT of the Router that my router is connected too.

Therefore i need another way for clients to connect to my home server. Up till now ive been using Hamachi, mostly because it is free and it is multi-platform. The only problem is that there does not seem to be any way to get Hamachi working on the Pandora, at least not unless i go rape the LogMeIn offices with a shotgun (which is getting more and more likely).

Therefore i need another way to connect my pandora to my home server via a VPN (or other compatible free solutuion)

Im basicly open to any sugestions. I have full control of the home server which is running Ubuntu. And i basicly only need SSH access to this server from the outside.

I OFFER A FREE IMAGINARY VIRTUAL COOKIE TO THE BEST SOLUTION!

</EDIT2>

I guess you need some background here if you are going to tinker with non-default packages (applications) and kernel modules.

The barest bare minimum is here: http://www.gp32x.de...omers-glossary/

I think you also need to read Pandora wiki and... Oh, damn, I take this for granted already - tar.gz is actually an archive which might contain executable files or source code which you have to compile, while script is interpreted (by bash, perl, python or other interpreter), you need to read pretty much stuff and it's a long story. I know a nice 'Linux for dummies' resource, but it's in Russian, maybe somebody could recommend something?

Consider giving Debian on SD a try (it's covered in wiki and you can download a working image), there are more packages there. But the kernel modules wouldn't work with Pandora kernel.

And prepare to read a lot of different stuff which you won't understand wholely at once, be patient and don't be afraid.

Thanks mate, i may just look into running a debian distro on the second SD slot.

And thanks for the link, I'll get to readin' ^^

Ooops you already have Linux.

What exactly you are trying to achieve with establishing a VPN at home? You need to limit access to your home server?

Ooops you already have Linux.

What exactly you are trying to achieve with establishing a VPN at home? You need to limit access to your home server?

Its the only way i can contact my home server since i have no external IP to connect to or any means to port forward on the top layer router.

I dont even have a dynamic ip, my router gets a local ip from the router in front of it, which i have no control of. Which makes the VPN the only solution.

Oh my god that really sucks for a great city where you have free wifi in buses and trains, in fact the only city where I had normal connection in hostel (rent a room)!

So essentially you want to somehow contact your home server when you're outside your home network, right?

Exactly :) I have that for all other devices than the pandora, using hamachi. But for the pandora i don't know what could be a solution..

Ok, that's beyond my humble Linux networking skills.

Watch this thread, if the serious guys ask for info, send it to me - roman/at/cloudcabin/org or get yourself an account there. If you can provide some relevant details, please, do so while I'm sober. %)

http://serverfault.c...l-kernel-module

I've made a small research on it, and I'm afraid that Hamachi client is the only way to access hamachi network (correct me if I'm wrong)

If you have root access to an always-on Linux machine which is not a part of your home LAN you can try reverse ssh tunnel: http://www.alexonlinux.com/reverse-ssh-tunnel-or-connecting-to-computer-behind-nat-router

Seriously, it's a strange provider, never thought such options are provided in Copenhagen.

Instead of going with Hamachi, why not work with n2n instead? It's the same concept, except that you are in full control over the server yourself. Use the famous web search engine and search for 'n2n vpn', go to wikipedia. and look up the website from there.

I tested it a couple of years back (after testing hamachi first) and liked it. It's simple to port, and open source.

Then again he needs a server which both Pandora and his home server can reach 24/7. So good to have a VPS (apart from that you have to pay for it)!

It seems like Hamachi is so popular because it provides such service.

Yeah that is pretty much the point, hamachi provides the relay server for free and generally works pretty well. The problem is finding a similair / other suitable solution that is compatible with the Pandora.

I might be able to set something up using some SSH services provided at the university at which i work at. Hmm, ill have to talk to the system administrator.

Or i might be able to convince my brother to help me set up something on his server. In reality i only need SSH access to my home server, so that shoulden't take too much effort on the relay server..

Back