Glow In The Dark Keys?

Eversmile

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
This question is mainly to the devs, since I loved the idea of it so much. I remember reading on here that there might be a chance of glow in the dark paint for the keys. Is this still the case? Either way, the keyboard looks fantastic and I can't wait to get my grubby mits on it!

Eversmile posted on May 16 2009 at 04:25 PM said:
This question is mainly to the devs, since I loved the idea of it so much. I remember reading on here that there might be a chance of glow in the dark paint for the keys. Is this still the case? Either way, the keyboard looks fantastic and I can't wait to get my grubby mits on it!
IIRC MWeston has keyboard backlight solder points on the final board although they are not in use. I'm sure someone will put this mod to work in the future after the units are released into the wild. I was hoping that the final keymats would be translucent except for the epoxy coating to better facilitate this kind of mod. I know I would be one to buy a mod kit to do just this.

Until someone does, I'll just be happy to get my grubby mits on mine as well.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure the "Glow In The Dark" paint idea was dropped. I think a dev confirmed that in another thread... don't have the reference though.
Maybe somebody can confirm this.

Well, you could probably paint over the keys in glow-in-the-dark paint for a light mod job.

LCD screens emit light. In a room dark enough that glow in the dark print would be useful, your pupils are probably sufficiently dilated that you can see the keys from that.

If a colored LED were mounted in the hinge and pointed at the keys, I think it would give a pretty nice effect due to the epoxy.

marshal posted on May 16 2009 at 11:22 PM said:
I am pretty sure the "Glow In The Dark" paint idea was dropped. I think a dev confirmed that in another thread... don't have the reference though.
Yup, here: post_snapback.gif

Edit: ^_^ Links work, that's so nice... and editing too.

WizardStan posted on May 17 2009 at 10:41 AM said:
LCD screens emit light. In a room dark enough that glow in the dark print would be useful, your pupils are probably sufficiently dilated that you can see the keys from that.
No, unfortunately. Ever tried seeing anything else when someone shines a torch straight into your face? That's what happens. You'll have to keep tilting the screen down to shine on the keys, and then back to actually see the screen. It bugs me no end on my Zaurus.

gp2.eXe posted on May 17 2009 at 12:51 PM said:
marshal posted on May 16 2009 at 11:22 PM said:
Yup, here: post_snapback.gif
Noooooo :(

I'm hoping for the lighted keys mod, using the keypad backlight pads. Dunno what kind of mod it will be, nor what kind of technical expertise will be needed though... I expect some solder, unless someone's really clever.

D.

I was using the Pandora in the dark to record some new footage yesterday and I can confirm the LCD easily gives off enough light to reflect on the keys, the keys are shiny so you only need a tiny amount of light to see them.

I'm also getting pretty quick on the Pandora keyboard now, once you get used to where everything is you can type pretty quick. It just takes a few days to adjust to the layout and the way you press the keys with your thumbs (or fingers if you like).

For example I can now type:

cd ..
cd media
cd mmcblk0p1
cd pico128
PicoDrive

And various variations without looking ;)

If you are going to do the paint on glow in the dark stuff, I'd suggest going with this stuff. It's used on watches and the glow is quite amazing.

dflemstr posted on May 17 2009 at 09:30 PM said:
And if you get problems, just add a blacklight lamp somewhere... everything becomes visible instantly.
Only if the ink is fluorescent, otherwise you're SOL. Not every white ink is, and the blue ink is almost certainly not.

craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 07:23 AM said:
I'm also getting pretty quick on the Pandora keyboard now, once you get used to where everything is you can type pretty quick. It just takes a few days to adjust to the layout and the way you press the keys with your thumbs (or fingers if you like).
Why haven't you made a board post with your Pandora yet? It'll be very historical, just like ED's post about posting a video soon on the Pandora about the Pandora with a Pandora.

WizardStan posted on May 17 2009 at 01:41 AM said:
When Apple users would brag about the lit up keys on the mac notebooks I thought it was just a silly bragging point... It's not. You don't realize how important this is until you try to type on a black keyboard in a poorly lit room while your eyes are looking at a brightly lit lcd screen. Pupils closed, black keys, low light... Perfect combination for typos, unless your hands are planted properly on home row and even then getting to the other keys is difficult.

Chris

christo930 posted on May 17 2009 at 05:58 PM said:
When Apple users would brag about the lit up keys on the mac notebooks I thought it was just a silly bragging point... It's not. You don't realize how important this is until you try to type on a black keyboard in a poorly lit room while your eyes are looking at a brightly lit lcd screen. Pupils closed, black keys, low light... Perfect combination for typos, unless your hands are planted properly on home row and even then getting to the other keys is difficult.
Try turning down the brightness. If it's dark enough for your pupils to dilate, but they aren't because your screen is too bright to the point that you can't see anything else around it, there's a problem.
Besides, Craig has already confirmed exactly what I said: the LCD casts enough light to see the keys.

WizardStan posted on May 17 2009 at 06:40 PM said:
christo930 posted on May 17 2009 at 05:58 PM said:
Try turning down the brightness. If it's dark enough for your pupils to dilate, but they aren't because your screen is too bright to the point that you can't see anything else around it, there's a problem.
Besides, Craig has already confirmed exactly what I said: the LCD casts enough light to see the keys.
My eyesight is fine, and trust me, lit keys are a godsend. But I guess the usefulness of it depends on how often you actually have to type in the dark. As of the moment I don't have anyone to worry about waking up :(

rokdcasbah posted on May 18 2009 at 12:48 AM said:
My eyesight is fine, and trust me, lit keys are a godsend. But I guess the usefulness of it depends on how often you actually have to type in the dark. As of the moment I don't have anyone to worry about waking up :(
Aha! This is why I always use the Das Keyboard. It never even occurs to me to turn on the lights so I can see the keys better.

VRAndy posted on May 20 2009 at 02:01 PM said:
rokdcasbah posted on May 18 2009 at 12:48 AM said:
Aha! This is why I always use the Das Keyboard. It never even occurs to me to turn on the lights so I can see the keys better.
I want to get one of those.
-God Ginrai

Back