Glow in the dark keys

Would like to to get a glow in the dark keymat for you Pandora?

• Total voters

rohezal

Advanced Member
Would you like to purchase a glow in the dark keymat for the Pandora? It could be optional, choose able (like rebirth or ghz or classic), and could add some slightly higher costs (maybe 5 - 10$).

Something like this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/677643-fluorescent-stickers-instead-backlit-keyboard.html

Or do you think it would be ok to do it yourself, if you want it, like the guys with the stickers in the link?

Or would you like to get with backlight, which would be expensive I think?

Or do just want normal keys (and maybe glow in the dark keys should not be purchase able from ED)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stickers will not stick for ever, so I don't like that for sure. Might be a good idea, but I would prefer backlight if it is not too expensive. Did ED already mention additional costs?

Stickers are a very bad idea for a device that is designed to last for more than a few months....

How about a pop up LED as on some laptops that is in the screen bezel.

Partners work laptop has one & it works really well.

I'm not a fan of glow in the dark, can look quite ugly, and will fade too quickly to be useful imo.

I'd like to have backlit keys, glow in dark ones would be a good 2nd choice ...I don't like the idea of stickers though myself

Ideally just the characters lit up rather than those type where the entire key is clear with the characters solid

What are the properties of these in relation to using them in something that may wear down over time.
Depends if they are on top of the keymat or inside (maybe under a thin foil which is over each seperate key).

I don't know much about the time they shine, how easy you can remove the substance with simple typing and how expensive they are (but since paint and stickers are not very expensive I think they are not so expensive). If we want them, we need an expert to ask. Or maybe ED will ask someone with knowledge and gets his advise (maybe for a bit money).

I tend to find glow in the dark stuff just doesn't glow usefully for any useful length of time. (unless it's the radioactive kind)  Would much prefer backlit keys.

- Neelix

Was this type of thing, like 'how they work', and 'best methods for cost effectiveness', not discussed within iCP2 development? Maybe Mr Weston knows a bit on this, or someone else who was involved with that project.

It was decided to go with the LED back lighting for the iCP2 but sure all the options were considered there

Was this type of thing, like 'how they work', and 'best methods for cost effectiveness', not discussed within iCP2 development?
Yes but someone said (as far as I remember) that glow in the dark looks cheap and the icp2 should look "great". So they the backlid approach.

Maybe Mr Weston knows a bit on this, or someone else who was involved with that project.
Good idea, but I believe DaveC was the case designer.

Yeah, there is a thing or two to learn from icp2 keyboard lighting issues.

I think glow in the dark is bad for when you want your keyboard to not be glow in the dark, if at all. Personally i use the Pandora for covert operations, this would jeopardize the safety of my person and the integrity of my missions.

I think glow in the dark is bad for when you want your keyboard to not be glow in the dark, if at all. Personally i use the Pandora for covert operations, this would jeopardize the safety of my person and the integrity of my missions.
:lol:    Not as much as the brightly glowing screen! :)

- Neelix

I think glow in the dark is bad for when you want your keyboard to not be glow in the dark, if at all.
Solution: Make it optional like the different cases ED sells. If you want a black case or a silver case, you can choose. If you want a normal keymap or a glow in the dark keymat you can choose. Like I said.

Would you like to purchase a glow in the dark keymat for the Pandora? It could be optional, choose able (like rebirth or ghz or classic), and could add some slightly higher costs (maybe 5 - 10$).

Personally i use the Pandora for covert operations, this would jeopardize the safety of my person and the integrity of my missions.
You are a private detective, right? I don't want to sound mean, but maybe it isn't nice to spy at people, maybe get a nicer job. Like ambulance driver, programmer, mechanic ...

It cant be very hard to get paint like that and put it on the keys.

I think i was 6 when i sanded down a toothbrush that was glow in the dark and mixed it with glue to get that effect. Wasnt quite so clever in applying it. The concern for safety wasnt held in high regard as it shone from the doorframe to my room.

But the screen is  still lit   :p

Back