Gmu 0.5.1 Released

wejp

Website
wejp.k.vu
Gmu 0.5.1 released!

Release highlights:

* Added CPU underclocking feature
* Added key mappings for skipping whole pages for faster scrolling (sample pagescroll.keymap file included)
* Improved volume control (more precision at lower volumes)
* Improved random generator
* Added new playmodes: Continue, Repeat All, Repeat Track, Random, Random+Repeat
* Added "auto backlight power-on on track change" feature
* Added config option for configuring the title scroller. The scroller can be configured that it only scrolls when neccessary, that it always scrolls or that it never scrolls.
* Added config option for configuring the sort behavior in the file browser. Now the user can select between normal alphabetical order and folders first order.
* New default skin (the old default skin is also included, as well as some other skins)

Screenshots:

gmu17.png

gmu7.png

Thanks for the release! Aw, i must wait till I can go home to try it.
* Improved volume control - Just what it needed! Thanks again! :)

Do you planing to add Equalizer option or something?

thanks wejp
i only listen to mp3 so this is by far my favourite player
btw: eq settings would be a really cool feature

Goob said:
With MP2 support I'd be in heaven :)
Shouldn't that be as easy as to simply add the format as supported by libmad?
I just tried it and libmad seems to play back 1 kz sine wave i managed to find after 15 minutes of googling (ugh), which supposely was in mp2 format.
Becuase you are talking about mpeg-1 layer 2 right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does CPU underclocking feature working right? I have got CPU underclocked at 50MHz via Gmenu, as it is lowest possible value, and still no lags! Previous version couldn`t handle even 140MHz. Is it normal?

corret me if im wrong but I'm thinking the underclocking features underclocks it to a specific speed and whatever gmenu setting you have for the speed doesnt matter.

would be nice if you could choose from different speeds in the configure program.

Micket said:
Goob said:
With MP2 support I'd be in heaven :)
Shouldn't that be as easy as to simply add the format as supported by libmad?
I just tried it and libmad seems to play back 1 kz sine wave i managed to find after 15 minutes of googling (ugh), which supposely was in mp2 format.
Becuase you are talking about mpeg-1 layer 2 right?

Yes I'm referring to MPEG-1 Audio Layer II. MP2 support would be really useful, especially for freeview radio broadcasts.

I do have a very weird bug report, though. I normally use Gmenu2x, and so I've created links for gmu and gmu-setup. If I start gmu-setup and then press y (save settings and start gmu), all is well and it works perfectly. However, if I try to start it directly with the link to gmu.gpe, it flat out crashes on me. As in, the screen of my gp2x goes "white-blackout" as it does when the batteries run out...That seems very strange to me :) I've not been able to try it whilst telnetted into the gp2x, so I don't know if it says anything helpful on the console.

If I exit Gmenu2x and start it from the official menu, it works peachy.

Huh? :blink:

Apart from that, it is an excellent thingy! I have not bothered to use my gp2x for mp3 playing before, but now I do :)

However, if I try to start it directly with the link to gmu.gpe, it flat out crashes on me.

Hmm, everything fine for me here. I`m on FW 3.0.0 and using Gmenu2x (not beta).

Ah, i see now we can choose CPU Clock from "default" or "reduced". Still i wonder why does GMU underclock only 150MHz in "default mode" via Gmenu? When CraigAmp can go under 140MHz? Or its just me and my version 3.0.0 FW maybe. Well whatever, its wounderfull player anyway.
what's the status on fast forwarding?

Yeah, that would be nice.. and er.. do you planning russian fonts support?

I do have a very weird bug report, though. I normally use Gmenu2x, and so I've created links for gmu and gmu-setup. If I start gmu-setup and then press y (save settings and start gmu), all is well and it works perfectly. However, if I try to start it directly with the link to gmu.gpe, it flat out crashes on me. As in, the screen of my gp2x goes "white-blackout" as it does when the batteries run out...That seems very strange to me :) I've not been able to try it whilst telnetted into the gp2x, so I don't know if it says anything helpful on the console.

If I exit Gmenu2x and start it from the official menu, it works peachy.

I'll try to figure out what's wrong there. This is really a strange bug. When this bug occured, did you have the underclocking feature from Gmu enabled and/or did you underclock with gmenu?

Does CPU underclocking feature working right? I have got CPU underclocked at 50MHz via Gmenu, as it is lowest possible value, and still no lags! Previous version couldn`t handle even 140MHz. Is it normal?

Yes, this is normal. If you enable the underclocking feature, you can't choose another cpu clock from gmenu at the same time of course, as Gmu changes the cpu clock again right after it starts. So if you really want to select the cpu clock from gmenu (which I do not recommend), then make sure you have set the cpu clock in the Gmu setup to "default" which leaves the cpu clock unchanged.

would be nice if you could choose from different speeds in the configure program.

I have planned to automatically change the cpu clock as needed, so you don't have to bother about the required cpu speed, but this is still somewhat problematic. Right now the cpu speed is reduced such that Gmu plays all supported formats without any glitches and breaks. It doesn't make much sense to add cpu frequencies where Gmu isn't able to play without stuttering, so I have chosen to have just one reduced speed setting that works well.

what's the status on fast forwarding?

I didn't have much time lately, but I will implement it. I haven't forgotten about that.

Yeah, that would be nice.. and er.. do you planning russian fonts support?

To support russian fonts the bitmap fonts used by Gmu would need to be extended by the Russian characters and support for non-Latin-1-characters would have to be added to Gmu. While it sure is possible, it is still somewhat unlikely that I can add it in the near future as I don't speak Russian myself. But I will keep that in mind and maybe add support for such fonts later.

wejp said:
I'll try to figure out what's wrong there. This is really a strange bug. When this bug occured, did you have the underclocking feature from Gmu enabled and/or did you underclock with gmenu?
Hm...I do believe I had underclocking on in gmu, and that I did not try to underclock from gmenu...

Back