Release Gnuboy Updated

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to pickle for his great picklelauncher, I am happy to release a new version of GnuBoy which features a DPad-Friendly Rom selector with superfast directory reading speed.
Emulation itself hasn't changed.

ToDo:
* Include fullscreen / proportional scaling into the launcher (not yet supported by the launcher)
* Add VSync

Supports SRAM, up to 10 savestates, fullscreen scaling, proportional scaling.

Plays GB and GBC games.
Press 0 - 9 to select savestate slot, L to load and S to save.
Press Q for Quit.

* Launcher;
You'll start navigation in /media/ so you can select your SD Card and select any rom directory you want.

Keys:
* DPad: Scroll up / down (left / right for Quick scrolling)
* B to run a game
* X to go back one directory
* ESC to Quit
* You can use the keyboard buttons to jump to a letter.

Download: GnuBoy

ED has done an awesome job with the skinning :)

Of course I will listen to any bugs, improvements, suggestions from anyone to improve pickelauncher.

+1 That skin is wicked!

My only comment - is there way to make the gameboy screen a little wider so you can read a little of the rom title?

jonlad1 said:
+1 That skin is wicked!

My only comment - is there way to make the gameboy screen a little wider so you can read a little of the rom title?

The only think that might work is to decrease the font size, although its hard coded at the moment. Im going to change that in the next version and make it adjustable.

The other option is to move stuff on the layout like the buttons on the right and move the list over, but i think the option above is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
ED has done an awesome job with the skinning :)

Of course I will listen to any bugs, improvements, suggestions from anyone to improve pickelauncher.
Cool update.

Some emulation requests, Put in an option to disable blur filter. It really does nothing much, the scaled image is still blocky but with fuzzy edges with ringing. The FIR filter should have an option to be ditched in favor of a real filter that actually acts on the larger pixel blocks. I think there were a bunch in the GP2X version of Lemonboy.

Also it would be nice to have it remember your screen format options. I am not a fan of having to select it everytime the emu is started.

If these things could be done through a script, could Pickle launcher support it? Maybe via a second config screen which saves the options(similar to the Amiga menu I have shown).

Thanks for the nice updates. I like the dot matrix font.

DaveC said:
Some emulation requests, Put in an option to disable blur filter. It really does nothing much, the scaled image is still blocky but with fuzzy edges with ringing. The FIR filter should have an option to be ditched in favor of a real filter that actually acts on the larger pixel blocks. I think there were a bunch in the GP2X version of Lemonboy.

Hmm, I think that one is easy: I just have to use true doublepixel scaling in the options.
GnuBoy automatically adds some blur if you don't scale it using a full integer.

The original GameBoy had 160x144, so the scaling I need to add to do this is 480x432 and then no blur is needed.

Also it would be nice to have it remember your screen format options. I am not a fan of having to select it everytime the emu is started.

That would work... I just have no idea yet how to tell it yet to change it afterwards :)

If these things could be done through a script, could Pickle launcher support it? Maybe via a second config screen which saves the options(similar to the Amiga menu I have shown).

Yes, AFAIK Pickle plans an options dialogue. Then you could set screen size, etc. within the launcher and save those options.

So I guess it's best to wait for that update :)

Last edited:
Cheers for this ED/Pickle looks great and the sort of UI that I could give someone else to use,

Gave me a few hours on harvest moon last night :D

I love this thing
(I couldnt get it to support zipped roms just incase anyone else has a problem just unzip them)

meandu229 said:
I love this thing
(I couldnt get it to support zipped roms just incase anyone else has a problem just unzip them)

Hmm... I have all my roms zipped and they work fine...
I wonder what's different... oh, wait!

Looking at the script, I can think of something: If the rom inside has a different filename than the ZIP it might not be working.
Could you test that?

Last edited:
Proposal:

Beside assigning the gameboy-start/select-buttons to the Pandora-start/select-buttons, you could additionally bind them to Pandora A/Y-buttons. I just tried it and they can be configured to both of them at once. Following the layout of the gameboy, where select is left of start i assigned them this way in gnuboy.rc.

Code:
bind home +select
bind prior +start

The A/Y buttons can be reached more comfortable.

Oh wow! Just found out something else:

Add:

Code:
set yuv 0
set scale 3

MUCH better speed as it seems and SCANLINES! Hooray ;) Well not everyone wants scanlines, especially since the original gameboy did not have a CRT, hehe. Well i have something for those people too:

add
Code:
set density 3

The scheme is like this: If density=scale then you get no scanlines. You can play with these values. I also tried a density of 1 with "scale 3", then the "scanlines" get thicker. Or you can for example use "scale 2" with "density 2" for a smaller pictures with no scanlines.

I found information on these options here: http://www.sourcefiles.org/Emulators/Videogames/gnuboy-1.0.3.tar.gz.shtml

Something i am working on is to get the colors right in this mode. I found information about setting them here. Works something like this (this is an example with random colors):

Code:
set dmg_bgp  0xffffff 0xaaaaaa 0x555555 0x000000
set dmg_wndp 0x0000ff 0x0000aa 0x000055 0x000000
set dmg_obp0 0x00ff00 0x00aa00 0x005500 0x000000
set dmg_obp1 0xff0000 0xaa0000 0x550000 0x000000

Lomaxx said:
Proposal:

Beside assigning the gameboy-start/select-buttons to the Pandora-start/select-buttons, you could additionally bind them to Pandora A/Y-buttons. I just tried it and they can be configured to both of them at once. Following the layout of the gameboy, where select is left of start i assigned them this way in gnuboy.rc.

Code:
bind home +select
bind prior +start

The A/Y buttons can be reached more comfortable.
Was suffering from the same thing, thanks for the simple solution :)

EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

Yes, AFAIK Pickle plans an options dialogue. Then you could set screen size, etc. within the launcher and save those options.

So I guess it's best to wait for that update :)

Technically it could work already, but the user would have to change it manually in the profile.txt.
But I would like to add some builtin editor but thats going to take some time i think.

EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

Hmm, I think that one is easy: I just have to use true doublepixel scaling in the options.
GnuBoy automatically adds some blur if you don't scale it using a full integer.

The original GameBoy had 160x144, so the scaling I need to add to do this is 480x432 and then no blur is needed.

Well yes integer scaling would be a nice option. There really needs to be an option to act on the big blocky pixels though. The FIR filter only blurrs edges by a single pixel. Since the GB's res is tripled it is still blocky, the FIR filter is not doing much there other than fuzzing the edges of the big blocks.

There needs to be some options for interpolation (you know all of the usual things like Super eagle,2×SaI, hq3x etc) that actually interpolate and act on the large pixels, not just the edges. I know the FIR filter is much easier as you just turn it on but that is really only effective if you are fractionally scaling something up to about 2X. Afterwards it becomes innefective.

There are things that i do not understand. :angry: After wasting too much time on finding color-settings that work for me (after they were set completely wrong for some reason),they now are fine (though just grey-shades) no matter if i set yuv to 0 or 1 and without setting any palette at all. Well, beside feeling fooled, i can report that there is full-integer scaling available. And actually i posted the parameters for it above already:

Code:
set yuv 0
set scale 3
set density 3

This works for all three video-modes that i tried (800x480,533x480 and 480x432). I set it now to "480,432,16", because i see no gain in using a resolution higher than that if i want full-integer-scaling.

Here is the full "gnuboy.rc" that i am using:

Code:
unbindall

# Some keybindings for Windows/Linux
bind q quit
bind s savestate
bind l loadstate
bind 1 "set saveslot 1"
bind 2 "set saveslot 2"
bind 3 "set saveslot 3"
bind 4 "set saveslot 4"
bind 5 "set saveslot 5"
bind 6 "set saveslot 6"
bind 7 "set saveslot 7"
bind 8 "set saveslot 8"
bind 9 "set saveslot 9"
bind 0 "set saveslot 0"

#bind s +b

#  keybindings for Pandora
bind up +up
bind down +down
bind left +left
bind right +right
bind end +a
bind next +b
bind alt +start
bind ctrl +select
bind home +select
bind prior +start

# Normal speed/fast forward
# Note that these only work with sound disabled
#bind - "set framelen 16743"
#bind + "set framelen 0"

# Set video mode to 320x240x16bpp
#set vmode 800 480 16
#set vmode 533,480,16
set vmode 480,432,16

set yuv 0
set scale 3
set density 3
set stereo true
set vsync 1
set savedir ./saves
set forcedmg 0

set colorfilter 1
set filterdmg 1

ED,

Is there a problem with the latest Gnuboy release on the File Archive?

Whichever screen option I try, it crashes back to PickleLauncher.

I have deleted the appdata folder and redownloaded.

Can anyone else confirm?

jonlad1 said:
ED,

Is there a problem with the latest Gnuboy release on the File Archive?

Whichever screen option I try, it crashes back to PickleLauncher.

I have deleted the appdata folder and redownloaded.

Can anyone else confirm?

Hm, seems to work for me.
Could you check your pndrun-Output?

Last edited:
Back