Golden Axe: Curse Of Death Adder

fade

Website
Visit site
I love the Golden Axe: Curse of Death Adder BOR mod by FunkMeister Smith as i've always been a huge Golden Axe fan, I have a few questions i'd like to ask him about his mod though, does anyone know if he has a website, or how to contact him?

Hello mate! Look no further!! As it happens I am a fellow GP32er!!

I'm glad you like the mod, thankyou for your comments. I've done a GP32 version which is a bit smaller & plays more of the music etc if you're interested?

Anyway, how can I help you?? :D

First of all, thanks for replying! Yes i would be very interested in the GP32 version!! My questions involve your sprite ripping/extracting procedure, I've got a game idea in mind myself but i'd like to hear first from experienced people, like yourself, who've gone through the process of getting clean sprites from arcade/console games. With console games i've found its usually not too much of a problem thanks to some emulators offering the option of turning off layers. But with arcade games? Whats the best method of obtaining clean sprites? Did you have to go through the painstaking process of screengrabbing and then manually cleaning up each sprite? I appreciate any advice!

Awesome mod. :)

Thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated! :)

Yeah, unfortunately there is no 'Shots Factory' style feature for MAME games (such as Goldenaxe 1 & 2). There is for the likes of 'Knights Round' & 'Dungeons & Dragons' etc where I got some of the other sprites from (I used Nebula).

What I found to be the easiest way to 'clean' the sprites up from MAME is I would draw round the whole sprite I wanted with the transparent pink colour, then I would use the 'Fill' tool & set the tolerance high so it would fill all the remaining colours that were separated from my sprite. I found this the easiest way to do it and I was using Paint Shop Pro to do the whole thing (I find it easy to stick to the correct pallette by just pasting my next image on top of the last and it automatically applies the correct pallette to it). I would then just touch up the sprite afterwards in places like beween arms, legs etc.

It takes a while but its worth it in the end! I still need to clean some of the sprites up in my mod though, some are a bit ugly!

I would upload the GP32 version I made, but I don't have any webspace... well, actually I do have some, through Tripod, but I haven't got a clue on how to create web pages or just to upload it!!?? :blink:

I'm sure you would get your optimised GP32 version hosted here no problem! Your current version is already hosted after all. I'm not entirely sure what the process is for submitting files but if you contact EvilDragon and let him know that its an optimised update to your mod he'd be able to tell you what the process is of getting it hosted. It'll probably get a news update on the front page as well. You can announce it in the News Zone

The method you mentioned for extracting arcade sprites is pretty similar to what i'm trying at the moment, but like you said, it does take a while, but hopefully it'll be worth it. :)

Whats your later plans for the mod? Are you thinking of adding any further player characters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I tried adding the female charactor from "Warrior Blade" as a hero (or heroine??), BUT, she's too big!

lady.jpg

See what I mean!? :shock:

When I try & make her smaller, she just gets ugly which is a shame because it would've been a good 'un!

I've replaced some music (title & character select screen) with music From Conan the barbarian/Destroyer music and I've added a knight boss from Knights of the Round & a Minatour from King of Dragons. I've also improved the 'Duel' feature so it now has a vs screen before each battle (like on the Genesis GA1)...

Battle.jpg
knight.jpg
min2.jpg

Here are some new night scenes I also created (like GA1)...

night1.jpg
night2.jpg

I also replaced the 'Flash' animation with a blood one... :eek:

slash.jpg

Wow, she is pretty big! Could be an Amazon i suppose, lol. :D I prefer the blood animation you've replaced the flash with, it looks cool in the screenshot, and great choice on the Conan music!

I dunno if you've used DGen before for Genesis games, but it also lets you turn off layers to make it easier to grab sprites. Might be of some help.

withlayer.gif
withoutlayer.gif

Although the genesis versions of Golden Axe probably won't be as detailed as the arcade versions.

Attachments

• withlayer.gif
    withlayer.gif
    51.8 KB · Views: 298
  • withoutlayer.gif
    withoutlayer.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 288
Yeah mate, I tried it but, again, the sprites are the wrong size. Too small this time!! :angry: I tried re-sizing her but she just looks pap & pixelated. Even tried using proper scaler progs, but they're then too big & have to be made smaller! Bit of a vicious circle really! :blink:

Back