Good Cheap Headphones

Ravnos

Asleep in Samsara
Website
Visit site
So I'm basically tired of my shitty iPod earphones and the way I can never get them to sit right in my ears and the way they shift around when I'm walking, or I turn my head, or just about anything. The sound quality doesn't really bother me, but having to constantly fiddle with them when they're in my ear to get to the point where they don't sound incredibly quiet or uneven from ear to ear is a pain in the ass. I want new ones, and I want your recommendations.

So, basically, here are my criteria:
1. Under $50
2. Decent sound quality (not too muddy or too tinny or hollow sounding or whatever)
3. Don't have to fuck with them all the time
4. Somewhat comfortable

If they can be found at future shop or the source, too, that would be ideal since then I can walk there and not have to deal with shipping.

Ear buds are preferred, but I'm ok with full size headphones if they're a good value for the money. I don't need to go crazy with sound quality, as good as or better than the Apple headphones is good enough for me. These are for a portable mp3 player that I use when I walk to/from work, go to the gym, etc., not some expensive hi-fi setup.

Thanks for any replies.

I use a pair of JVC Gummy (black) which I got from Future Shop a year and a half ago for about $10. I had another pair of the same before them, which lasted for about 2 years before the volume got too low. Comfortable and good sound quality, at least by my superficial standards.

41360967-177x150-0-0_Genius%20Genius%20HP%2003A%20Over%20The%20Ear%20Headphones.jpg

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Genius-Genius-...-Ear-Headphones

It is cool when "Genius" is written on both ears...

I like skullcandy but they do break easily it seems
good bass tho.
also, dealextreme carries a lot of cheap ear buds which aren't terrible
I think the first question is what kind of music do you listen to?

Koss Portapros

I once spent quite some time auditioning portable headphones. These are astounding quality for the money. They're also reasonably portable, and they give a lifetime warranty. My last pair finally wore out after about ten years, I posted them to Koss and they happily sent me a new pair.

koss ksc-75's from ebay. About 15€ or so with postage, cheap and I think they have the same drivers as the portapros. Not very good with hats/winter wear though since they clip on the ears.

Definitely Koss Portapros, get the one with the case on Amazon, they're cheap.

I got some $10 Nexxtech in-ears from The Source. The sound quality is pretty good, better than the standard iPod phones IMO.
Though if you do get them make sure you get the source's warranty, I've had to replace them twice; though my current set has been good for 6 months with no problems.
Great headphones if you're cheap :)

HD202_normal.jpg

These are widely considered some of the best headphones you can buy for under 50$. Excellent signal response, long term comfort, and they breathe well (Used by DJ's). They also have a high build quality. I myself don't own a pair of these, but my two nephews swear by them. I've listened to them, and I'm no audiophile, but they sound spectacular. The are pretty big, but that's the price you pay for comfort and sound. :)

purple_goat said:
good bass tho.
I was looking at Skullcandy since the future shop by my place carries practically their entire line, but they seemed to get mixed reviews all over the place. For reference, I'm one of those guys who listens to a bit of everything, but predominantly punk. I just want the music to sound "full", if you know what I mean.

Youhei said:
Koss came up a lot when I was reading reviews of other brands, but nobody referenced the exact headphones they got. I'll give them a look too.

mindlord said:
HD202_normal.jpg

These are widely considered some of the best headphones you can buy for under 50$. Excellent signal response, long term comfort, and they breathe well (Used by DJ's). They also have a high build quality. I myself don't own a pair of these, but my two nephews swear by them. I've listened to them, and I'm no audiophile, but they sound spectacular. The are pretty big, but that's the price you pay for comfort and sound. :)

The consensus always seems to be that Sennheiser makes among the best headphones, but I couldn't find any in my neighbourhood for under $70 so I just assumed they were more upmarket. The only problem I see with these is that the band doesn't look adjustable, and I have a *ahem* large head. Also, I'd probably have to order these online unless I want to drive all around the city, which I don't, but that's the price I pay, I guess.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love my Sennheiser CX300s. They're in-ear headphones, and they sound great. They come with 3 different size rubber buds, and the bass is very rich if you get a good seal between the bud and the inside of your ear.

I bought mine for £15 off Amazon.

daffy said:
Koss Portapros

I once spent quite some time auditioning portable headphones. These are astounding quality for the money. They're also reasonably portable, and they give a lifetime warranty. My last pair finally wore out after about ten years, I posted them to Koss and they happily sent me a new pair.

Youhei said:

This!

For about $30 you can get good Sony in-ear buds. They come with different size end things, almost never fall out, and haven't failed me once. Quality's pretty good too.

Ravnos said:
purple_goat said:
good bass tho.
I was looking at Skullcandy since the future shop by my place carries practically their entire line, but they seemed to get mixed reviews all over the place. For reference, I'm one of those guys who listens to a bit of everything, but predominantly punk. I just want the music to sound "full", if you know what I mean.

Then Koss for sure, I have a pair with me now (headphones) the sound quality is much clearer.
I listen to a lot of hip hip and techno (mostly jump, hardstyle) so I like alot of bass, hence Skullcandy.

Skullcandy is overpriced over-aesthetic bullshit with crappy sound quality in the price range and are made out of shit materials
i suppose if you are a TOTAL SKATER DUDE and you want to impress your friends down at hot topic

purple_goat said:
Ravnos said:
purple_goat said:
good bass tho.

Then Koss for sure, I have a pair with me now (headphones) the sound quality is much clearer.
I listen to a lot of hip hip and techno (mostly jump, hardstyle) so I like alot of bass, hence Skullcandy.

Get the Portapro if you want bass. Fucking godly 'phones

PoisonedV said:
Skullcandy is overpriced over-aesthetic bullshit with crappy sound quality in the price range and are made out of shit materials
i suppose if you are a TOTAL SKATER DUDE and you want to impress your friends down at hot topic
They don't sound as good as I'd hoped (what with the price range and all), and though they're not bad, they're a bit disappointing.

Back